Type 1 Dentist & Diabetes

mancview

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Folks. I was diagnosed diabetic in May this year and was started on insulin straight away following two lots of pancreatitis. My question is: I have several back teeth on the top which have broken level to the gum and will need extraction. What precautions would I need to take when I go to the dentist and will they be able to do the extractions or refer me to the hospital? I'm not a great fan of the dentist (although he is a really nice bloke) but have had it drilled, pardon the pun, into since childhood that I have to go. Any help would be grat. Thanks....

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Folks. I was diagnosed diabetic in May this year and was started on insulin straight away following two lots of pancreatitis. My question is: I have several back teeth on the top which have broken level to the gum and will need extraction. What precautions would I need to take when I go to the dentist and will they be able to do the extractions or refer me to the hospital? I'm not a great fan of the dentist (although he is a really nice bloke) but have had it drilled, pardon the pun, into since childhood that I have to go. Any help would be grat. Thanks....

I would get your dentists's advice. I've had fillings and a wisdom tooth removed at the dentist with no problems but I did make them aware of my diabetes. I also made sure my blood sugar was ok just before they started the work.

It may be wiser to have two or more short appointments than one long one. See what they advise.

Reactions: 2 people

mancview

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I would get your dentists's advice. I've had fillings and a wisdom tooth removed at the dentist with no problems but I did make them aware of my diabetes. I also made sure my blood sugar was ok just before they started the work.

It may be wiser to have two or more short appointments than one long one. See what they advise.
Thank you

Thank you...

Reactions: 2 people