dentist

nikinrobbie

i have had type 1 diabetes now for 28yrs,a few years ago i was angry that we had to pay for our needles you put on the end of our pens to inject,i wrote to a few people and after a couple of month i got a reply back saying that they are now available on priscription. :D .well now i am having trouble with my teeth,and i have caps.i didnt pay for them as my son was just born when i got them,my dentist has told me today that the bone around my teeth is wearing away and this is due to my diabetes.i have been discharged from my diabetic nurse and get in trouble for using to many blood sticks and i am told i am too well controlled :lol: we can win,any way getting back to my teeth,why do we not get free dental treatment as i have been told today that it is caused by my diabetes,i need to know who to get in touch with over this problem,i think it is a health minister or somebody like that,can anybody help,oh my daughter is 9 month and the dentist cant see me till may,when the baby is 1 and i will have to pay then as i am getting it free as she is under 1,i am soo angry, :?: :?:

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome,
i know its not the right way to do it but i would go see the emergency dentist with pain then they will have to treat you before your child is one, do u work? if you are on benefits e.g income support,jobseekers etc then u also dont have to pay,imsure someone with more knowledge on this will be in touch soon :D

nikinrobbie

hi totsy and thankyou for the welcome,i o work yes but me and my husband do not get anything,i thinkd that if it is my diabetes that is causing this then we should not have to pay,if i was taking drugs i would get them free lol it makes you laff doesnt it,thanks for the reply :D
totsy said:
hya and welcome,
i know its not the right way to do it but i would go see the emergency dentist with pain then they will have to treat you before your child is one, do u work? if you are on benefits e.g income support,jobseekers etc then u also dont have to pay,imsure someone with more knowledge on this will be in touch soon :D

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Unfortunately the exemptions only cover eyes and prescriptions not teeth as well.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It doesn't cover glasses I was told, only eye tests, is that right?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I get 30% off glasses at Specsavers, because i'm over 60!!!!!

999sugarbabe

Hi Nikinrobbie,
I have had to have a lot of dental work recently (£££'s), much of which could have been partially due to my diabetes. When I asked my (rare N.H.S.) dentist about payment exemption due to diabetes, she said there is no exemption for diabetics. As far as I know this is a National issue not a local Health Trust decision.
Yes, it is wrong for diabetics to pay for dental work caused BY diabetes. Perhaps someone should start the ball rolling with a Nationally organised campaign/petition :?:

I also had to pay for my 2 pairs of glasses (£££'s) also, as they are not covered by my exemption, yet my decline in eyesight is certainly due to my diabetes :!:

Still, in this day and age, anyone with a health problem is made to feel like a burden on society, and many are being bullied back into work, or onto the unemployment benefit system PURELY as a cost cutting measure - for NO other reason.
It's disgusting, when having paid into the system all our working lives, that through no fault of our own sufferring from illnesses is now regarded in the way it is.

Perhaps they will force the remaining Chelsea Pensioners back into full time work now :?: After all, they've been on the sick since 1914/18, many since they were teenagers. :wink:

Crikey :!: Thank heaven that's off my chest :!: :!: :x