Depression and Diabetes

Lesley49

My partner has been diagnosed with Type 1 for over 23 years and is now in 46 years old.

Can anyone give me and further information on where I can get help or advice on how to help?

I have read a lot on Depression and Diabetes recently due to my partner seeming to have these symptoms for on and off for 1½ yrs now. Eventually he went to the doctors as it seemed to be related to the fact that he had recently been made redundant, had started a new job of which the demands and pressure being put upon him were overwhelming. He was prescribed Propranolol and by then he had to left the job and the 'cloud' lifted and his depression mood was more acceptable, odd occasions of panic would arise if problems occurred but were manageable. He no longer had the panic attacks, heart racing, and feelings of strangulation.
He then worked as a self-employed courier and until the bad snow episode in December 2010 was coping with the demands, then work dried up as he was unable to take on the long journeys that were all that were being offered.
He has been keeping busy, applying for jobs that would fit within his comfort zone, or so he thought, but had another abortive attempt, the change is is mood again was affected along with the high sugar reading, unable to concentrate, not wanting to eat, hating the fact that he was tied to diabetes. He made another visit to the doctor who then prescribed a short course of Diazepam, which at least allowed him to sleep and got rid of the demons who seemed to be present.
Now at the sign of any hitch it becomes an insurmountable problem and the darkness returns, together with the lack of energy, constantly wanting to sleep, not wanting to eat or talk to anyone, his inability to go anywhere new on his own, and not being able to accept change in something as simple as going for his blood tests or eye examinations in the new clinics without it being traumatic.
We discuss this very quietly and I am very understanding and make no pressures on him at home and I know the fact that I am like this and the fact that I have a job causes him a concern as he sees it as something he isn’t. He has these feeling that everything is working against him when he tries to get answers on certain problems he is trying to solve.
I know he should now go back to visit the doctor, they will not call on him; he needs to let them know that he is still suffering in the same way.

anniep

You are obvipoulsy having a bad time I am so sorry, and sorry I can't offer any advice except to see your GP regarding the depression your partner is suffering from.

Maybe someone more exienced with T1 will be able to offer more suggestions.

xxxx

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What a bad time for you both. I have had Type 1 for 25 years or so and found myself at the bottom of a very deep dark hole for quite a long time about 2 years ago. I didn't know whether it was related to diabetes and my non-acceptance of it (even though I've been diabetic since childhood), or if I had undiagnosed post natal depression. Whatever it was, I couldn't even recognise myself and must've been completely unapproachable to those around me.

I have a very good diabetic consultant who noticed something was wrong and after a long discussion referred me to a psychotherapist. I went there once a month or so for about 6 months and it completely changed my life without any medication. It was diabetes related and had nothing to do with having had children. Having said that, a couple of years on I get days/weeks where I think I'm back to square one.

My message to you is that there is help (other than tablets) available to your husband but it depends on what sort of help would be most beneficial to him. Please explore all avenues.

I hope this helps a little.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Oh gosh, you are having a hard time of it...and your partner too.

There is help for depression which can help alot. I myself have had dreadful depression, and I know it is an ongoing illness that can strike back at any time of my life. I am t1-for 25 years, and a year older than your partner.

I was sent a long time a go to see a psychiatrist, whom I could not get to understand me, and I had to keep repeating myself. I went for two appoinments and on my third I took my husband who totally agreed with me that the psychiatrists interpretataions of English was awful....so I called it a day.

I have also had one HCP that asked my husband to section me, a long while ago, but my husband refused, and I stayed out of being an in-patient.

The best most recent help I have had for almost a year now is: a lovely Counsellor lady who has helped me so much, and although I don't see her weekly anymore, I know that I can phone her at anytime, and will be able to see her. She was booked by my GP.

Also I am going to a stress management course-also booked through my GP, which according to another friend who has done the course-says it is brilliant. It apparently isn't like the alchoholics groups where you imagine people saying @Hi, my name is and I am a alcoholic/or in our case a depressive.' I go on Wednesdays starting this week for 2 hours each week. My friend says that just that course helped him so much, that I got my GP to refer me.

I also had to go through quite a lot of antidepressants, before getting one that really suits me, and which I am able to take long term.

I have had my partner go to every appointment with my GP whilst I have been in such a bad mental state.

I also had to vastly change my job. I used to manage large distribution centres, but found I could not manage it anymore, so I changed a hobby in to a job. I did a self learning diploma at home for gardening, and started a fabulous gardening business, and I had some fantastic customers....when we moved to another part of UK, there was no chance of gardening as an income provider-as all the gardeners do here is seem to mow lawns....not redesigning and creating new gardens and maintaining them on an ongoing basis. So I was pretty scuppered.

Having been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, which again has a significant amount of depression also linked to the diseas, and now being in fluctuating levels of pain consistently 24/7 I am no longer working, but that is due to the pains-not depression.

Both my mum and nan also had depression so it is also a genetic thing in our family as well.

It is very hard for partners, and I do not envy you. I admire what you are trying to do to help enormously.

First thing I would suggest is to try going to see the GP together, and try to get a double appoinment booked, or the last appointment of the day!!!! So that a proper discussion with GP can happen.

I know with me, that my GP would not prescribe diazepan, we went through Citilopram, previously fluoxitine, Pregabalin, Gabapentin, Ampitrytalene and more before I ended up on the most expensive drug I think which is duloxitine. This helps with brain and pain, enables me to sleep so much better and manage myself better with my moods. I had to go and try all the cheaper version of drugs and some awful side effects before I have go to this drug that I can tolerate.

If your partners moods aren't lifting and his ability to deal with stress etc is not improving there are alternative things that GP's can try in line with medications, like Counsellors, like Stress Management COurses, like joining the gym at reduced or free prices, and CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy).....some GP's are not so good at coming forward to try these, but mine has been fantastic with his help. Also iHs helped me a lot from this forum. Also my other diabetic HCP's at hospital.

There is help, but it may really need your input at a GP appintment, if you can get your partner to agree so that you can both discuss with GP.

Accepting change, especially in jobs is never easy. I feel **** that I can no longer do what I used to do, I feel embaressed that my husband is the one and only income provider, and this is again natural with humans...it is just finding a way to manage 1) financially and 2) a better way of thinking about these things....my counsellor was marvellous at this aspect with me.....

Very hard for you both. Only my experiences.....2 years ago, you would never have got me to admit to any of this, so this is actually how good I feel - that I can actually talk about my experiences....it helps me and it may help others...I hope so.

Lesley49

Many thanks to all who have helped me gain strength as I was failing a little until I heard from you all. At the moment we are on an even keel so life is on the up! Thank you all for listening and replying at the time of my need.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. x :D

Hi

I have been Diabetic for 16 years and have insulin through a pump, January time my mood was low, i was snappy, wanted to cry for no reason. I was having a stressfull time at home because my wife was going through a tough pregnancy and work was too busy. I went to the doctors and he wanted to put me on depression tablets but i said i did not see that as an awnser and would just cover up the cause. After chatting for abit he said have you heard of SAD Syndrome and i had, I had been going to work in the dark getting home in the dark and seeing no daylight in the day, so i went home and my wife and i scanned the internet and found a company that rented them as they are expensive to buy if it did not fix the problem. It took about 4 days using the light box and my mood elevated and i felt i was moving towards normality again and was able to cope with what was going on in my life. As a diabetic your sugars can affect your mood so if you are stressed and your sugars arent right, not a good mix.

A few thoughts for you hope this helps as it did for me, we are coming to towards winter again so i will have to bring out the light box and use it again as i dont want to get into that spiral again.

If you have any questions i will be happy to help

Fallenstar

A lot of American Type1 Diabetics are prescribed Vitamin D supplementation for warding off Diabetic complications as we don't metabolise it as well as people without Diabetes they have found out with numerous studies.....In Norway and other far Northern Hemisphere countries where daylight is not at a premium they have done BIG studies in preventing Type1 Diabetes with Vitamin D starting in very young babies with amazing results.
So a little bit of sunshine does do us some good :D I certainly feel a lot better mood wise as I'm sure most non Diabetics do in the summer also.
I have started to take Vitamin D only recently ,so will let people know how I find it on my winter moods...the lack of Diabetic complications I think will be a bit of a longterm thing :lol: but I hope to feel happier on it throughout the winter.
Interesting post Dan...maybe you could give the both a try and if I feel a bit SAD syndrome this winter I may invest in a light box..happy moods for us all eh :D

I would have to say that you need to go out for the day with your partner, have fun, go on holiday. Anythingto take your partners mind off depression and diabetes. I may only be 14 but I suffer from depression and have T1 diabetes, much like your pertner. If anything makes me happy its spending time with people I love away from home. I know your probably just going to think that im only 14 so you shouldnt listen to me but I have suffered alot for a 14 year old and have learnt alot when im not injecting myself or trying to kill myself. And I would say the best thing to do is get away from everything or find people who are like your partner and make freinds with them. Share thoughts on depresion and diabetes it helps me when I help a freind. So try cheering somone up who has a worse life than you. Well your partner. Makes me happy to know when im helping.

sicko666

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Textbook medical profesionals! Narrow minded people.
I am a type 1, since birth, and an epileptic since i was 16, and have seen numerous psychiatrists since a child with my needle phobia .The depression started though at the same time as the epilepsy so i am not too sure if its to do with the diabetes, or a physiological state of mind, or if its just a rewiring of my brain caused by the epilepsy.All i know from personal experience is every single person is different, myself i found that only "happy pills" draged me out from my "want to die, kill everyone" states....Light,vitamins,exercise,hundreds of psychiatrists, none of those had any effect, but as soon as i started taking the pills life seemed bearable.
I guess what i am trying to say is try everything until you find something that works, it may take a while, and it might be something you hadnt even thought of but there is a solution thats just right for you, it just takes time....

jonwest86

Hi

I have been a type 1 for over 10 years now. I have relatively good control. I recently went through a bad break up and became very low. I wasn't eating and completely lost my confidence. I wasn't able to talk to anyone and eventually I got some help and spoke to a counsellor. It was one of the best things I have ever done.
I had spent most of my adult life not being able to open up about my diabetes to anyone. I would try and manage it on my own and hated asking for help. I very much felt that admitting something was wrong was a sign of my weakness as a person.
Since I spoke to a professional I am much more able to talk about it and as a result I feel a lot better about myself. I felt like the pressure had been taken off of my shoulders and I was able to ask for help