Depression and Prediabetes

Naveedahmadi

Hi i am 25, my father is type 2 diabetic and i was diagnosed with prediabetes a month ago (Hba1c 6.18) my fasting blood sugar level is normal (75 to 90) but my pp blood sugar level usually raises one to two hours after meal from (115 upto 220), i have done almost my total medical and my all health reports tests were normal but i have also depression(MD) i cannot be always on diet and it's very hard for me to avoid some of my favourite foods,fruits and cold drinks. because I am underweight (55kg) so i feel more depressed nowadays and worry about getting type 2 diabetes.
Plz if anyone has the same issue or know how to deal with it plz share your thoughts i am very sad about it.
Thanks.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Hello,
I am sorry you are so sad and worried. Having a diagnosis of Prediabetes does not mean it is inevitable you will develop type 2 diabetes.
It is however a wakeup call, time for some changes.
You may need to consider which cold drinks you are consuming, could you switch to sugar free versions?
Otherwise the general advice is to cut back on carbs, rice, bread, pasta and potatoes are the main ones, along with fruit, although some are less sugary than others.
To replace the carbohydrates you will need to increase fat and protein.
Could you give us an idea of what you are currently eating? This will enable us to give you suggestions on how to change your diet.
May I suggest you go to the Prediabetes forum and read more there. Sorry I can't manage to post the link.
This is not the end, it's time to start on a journey to a new healthier you.

Reactions: NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interestingly there's some evidence that a diet which promotes good mental health will be the same as the one which promotes good metabolic health. If you've got a genetic tendency to store fat in the wrong place, regardless of your weight i.e. around your liver and pancreas then a diet that is high in natural proteins and fats and low in starchy carbs (rice, pasta, bread) and sugar will help as will adding some more muscles which at your age you're in a good position to do, will help. If you're light you can still be wiry and strong even if you can't bulk up too easily. The food changes will have the most impact though so I'd start there in your shoes!
As has been mentioned prediabetes is a warning sign and even if you'd got full blown type 2, it is something you can reverse away from with a few habit changes.
Sweet drinks offer a quick pick you up but they can be addictive from the sugar hit followed by a crash and mood swings. I don't believe you need to drink sweet drinks to keep your weight up but equally if it feels like you're constantly gritting your teeth to avoid temptation then I'd suggest cutting back and replacing with water or milk plus snacks like peanut butter with apple slices or a handful of nuts. Gradually you'll get used to the less sweet taste of natural foods like these.

Madisons

I am in the same situation. Depressed and devastated with anxiety attacks. My mother is T1 for 30+ years and I have seen all the terrible things that diabetes has done to her. Now i am diagnosed prediabetic and scared of what's to come for me. I ate healthy all my life, exercised daily, don't drink or smoke. I love to eat healthy things that I can no longer eat, like beans, sweet potatoes, whole grains, all kinds of fruits! Thought I was doing myself good. And worst, I am now alone with no one to turn to for support. I have nothing to live for.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am in the same situation. Depressed and devastated with anxiety attacks. My mother is T1 for 30+ years and I have seen all the terrible things that diabetes has done to her. Now i am diagnosed prediabetic and scared of what's to come for me. I ate healthy all my life, exercised daily, don't drink or smoke. I love to eat healthy things that I can no longer eat, like beans, sweet potatoes, whole grains, all kinds of fruits! Thought I was doing myself good. And worst, I am now alone with no one to turn to for support. I have nothing to live for.
Well, pre-diabetes should be quite manageable: don't let it get you down too much. You have already identified the main issue- that of carbs. If you cut the carbs, at least the diabetes side of things should start getting better. This forum is also a great place to find understanding and experienced friends and advice. I'm sure there will be people here who can help with some of your issues. Hang tough and stay positive!

gowest12

I know this is an old post but I’m in the same situation I feel so depressed and anxious with this diagnosis of prediabetes which is so all consuming I can’t think of anything else. I’m also underweight now and my efforts of low carb aren’t giving me great numbers anyway. Like you I just can’t imagine having to eat like I’m eating for the rest of my life I feel hungry all the time. I don’t want to snack as there will be more spikes how are you getting on I would love to know

sue512

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
I know this is an old post but I’m in the same situation I feel so depressed and anxious with this diagnosis of prediabetes which is so all consuming I can’t think of anything else. I’m also underweight now and my efforts of low carb aren’t giving me great numbers anyway. Like you I just can’t imagine having to eat like I’m eating for the rest of my life I feel hungry all the time. I don’t want to snack as there will be more spikes how are you getting on I would love to know
Up your fears, cream in coffee, strawberries for desert with more cream, eat the fat on any meats, nuts,olive oil, butter,cheese etc and you won’t feel hungry. Good luck xx

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It could well be that you are not a simple 'on your way to type 2' diabetic, as we tend to resolve very quickly on low carb and not feel hungry at all once settled into that way of eating.

gowest12

It could well be that you are not a simple 'on your way to type 2' diabetic, as we tend to resolve very quickly on low carb and not feel hungry at all once settled into that way of eating.
Do you mean I could have type 1? Also I find that if I do have more carbs like I did last night maybe around 40 last night as I had some lentils as well and the other veg and Greek yoghurt my numbers didn’t go up to much but stayed higher than normal does that happen if you have too many carbs? Even the slow release ones? I’m struggling to keep to really low carb like 20-30 a day so am trying more low carb rather than keto would low carb be on I do see low carb is considered under 100 carbs a day

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you mean I could have type 1? Also I find that if I do have more carbs like I did last night maybe around 40 last night as I had some lentils as well and the other veg and Greek yoghurt my numbers didn’t go up to much but stayed higher than normal does that happen if you have too many carbs? Even the slow release ones? I’m struggling to keep to really low carb like 20-30 a day so am trying more low carb rather than keto would low carb be on I do see low carb is considered under 100 carbs a day
Our response to carbs is very individual, which is why testing is required for diagnosis.
I can put on weight very easily. I eat only two meals a day and no moree than 40 gm of carbs a day.
At the moment I have lots of apples on the trees in the garden, so some days I have meat, fish or eggs and apples.
I used a meter to check my blood glucose levels to find out what I could eat - slow release made no significant difference that I could see.