depression

tezza

high im new to this site,finding it very interesting,ive had bouts of depression for quite a few month before i was told i was diabetic,nurse told me this often is the case ,tryed tablets,made me ill,im type two by the way.i have put over two stone on in the last year so joined slim/world to see if it helps me loose some weight,i do eat healthy.has anyone got these problems. :(

AndyR

Dislikes
intolerant people, bigots
oh yes, I surely do. I have put on over 3 stone since I became diabetic in 2006. I am T2, metformin and vildagliptin to keep it under control, but they seem to becoming ineffective.
My GP warned me that depression was a common 'side effect' for diabetics, and I poo poo'd it as I always think every cloud has a silver lining, but: after losing my job of 33 years due to my diabetes and an inexorable and slow weight gain, I woke up one day with depression, and it is horrible. My GP put me on venlafaxine and gabapentin. They worked almost straight away, but I hated the way my brain felt and tried to stop taking them - boy what a mistake - the side effects from stopping were not pleasant - sever giddyness and nausea. Took me three months to get off them, but now I am clean!

Just the diabetes and assocaited Blood Pressure, Cholestrol etc tablets now. 9 a day, lummy, in 2009 I was on 27 tablets a day.

I Monitor everything i eat at a website called www.livestrong.com using a feature called daily plate. It tells me I am eating approx 1800 cals per day, the weight should be dropping off me - it isn't.

So yes, depression is an everpresent 'risk'

But, and here is the good bit, I am still alive ! And that is a bonus!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi AndyR.

Just a couple of thoughts ? What amount of carbohydrates are you eating on a daily basis ?

Which particular diet on this website are you following ?

tezza

high andy/r
thank you for youre reply,now i know there is others who are going through the same as myself.im new to all this so a lot to take in. :roll: fuzzled brain.