Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dose any one get depressed and feel that nobody understands how you feel I do

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Diane_56 Yes! You are not alone in this, but you will find lots of supportive and understanding people on this forum. If you feel that your depression is seriously affecting your life please go to see your GP and get some help.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I think most people go through a period of depression to some level after being given the diagnosis of a life changing condition. Sometimes it comes immediately but there are those who see it months afterwards.
I also think that not to feel some sort of isolation is either very lucky or it could be down to a form of denial.

What is the answer? That, my freind, is as individual as Diabetes (or any other condition). We in the forum are lucky that we have access to all kinds of people who have gone before us and come out the other side.
Keep talking and we will keep listening.

Best wishes.

Diane_56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think most people go through a period of depression to some level after being given the diagnosis of a life changing condition. Sometimes it comes immediately but there are those who see it months afterwards.
I also think that not to feel some sort of isolation is either very lucky or it could be down to a form of denial.

What is the answer? That, my freind, is as individual as Diabetes (or any other condition). We in the forum are lucky that we have access to all kinds of people who have gone before us and come out the other side.
Keep talking and we will keep listening.

Best wishes.
Thanks so much for your words

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Diane_56, I'm sorry to hear you are coping with depression. I've had episodes of depression for over 50 years so I do understand how you feel. I don't think that anyone who has not experienced clinical depression can fully understand how it feels.
I think it is one of the worst types of illness. I hope you are getting some help. If you haven't already you need to talk to your GP about how you are feeling. There are interventions that can help, talking therapies or anti-depressant medication.
I stay on the ad meds (fluoxetine) permanently now as I can't face another episode of depression.
You need to remember that it will pass, the sun will shine again.

Diane_56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Diane_56, I'm sorry to hear you are coping with depression. I've had episodes of depression for over 50 years so I do understand how you feel. I don't think that anyone who has not experienced clinical depression can fully understand how it feels.
I think it is one of the worst types of illness. I hope you are getting some help. If you haven't already you need to talk to your GP about how you are feeling. There are interventions that can help, talking therapies or anti-depressant medication.
I stay on the ad meds (fluoxetine) permanently now as I can't face another episode of depression.
You need to remember that it will pass, the sun will shine again.
This time last year I was really bad I started going to turning point for but ever so often I feel my self starting to go again

M

Member496333

Suffered a little when I was struggling to control my glucose.

Now I just get irritated by the general public’s monumental ignorance surrounding the mechanisms and treatments of diabetes. Fuelled by the media. Almost no one has the first clue about it, yet nearly everyone feels qualified to comment and judge. That’s now the only thing I find ‘depressing’ and it can easily drive resentment and frustration.

Do you feel that your depression is grounded in poor glucose control? A feeling of despair? Tomorrow’s another day and the sun is always shining above the clouds :)

Good luck, hope you feel better.

Reactions: Prem51

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Diane56, I have been there too. As a fellow sufferer, not as professional pinion or advice:.
Sometimes there is something to blame but not always. Sometimes it seems to come out of the blue, or happens after something which seems relatively minor. Know that you are not alone and that you are not at fault.
You may feel ashamed, inadequate and not wish to seek help - BUT - a worry shared in a worry halved, friends, counsellors , nurses, GPs can all help. The trick is to find someone who clicks with you, who seems to understand you best.
Some of us need medication but that is not always the case and medication by itself is not sufficient anyway in my experience.

And i was advised to use the Crisis line number, whatever that is called in your neck of the woods - and to use it if I ever felt desperate or that I wished to end it all. There is a way back and that lifeline is there for that.
You may not reach that point but help is still important.
I found taking steady breathes helped: I could think more clearly with breathing rather than holding my breath and bottling everything up.
Finding something to keep busy with: it did not matter if I could not spend hours at it, just having an activity e.g reading, pottering in the garden, drawing, doing cross-words (and saying a few if that helped )!! Find something interesting to look at outside, with the fresh (but cold air), it does not matter if you happen to be wearing odd socks.
Trying to avoid going over and over something ( i believe they call it rumination) which is like the cows chewing their cud - it does change in taste, it is wearing on the teeth, jaws and not very nutritious.
Finding some humour: at breakfast and having eggs, what would it be like to lay an egg like the hen does? Vary the cooking method: soft googy eggs today or hard boiled Are all bald people hard boiled? If it's daft that is better than feeling down.
I recall being told about the father of a friend who became depressed: What helped him was discovering a little book called "The Book Of Hugs" which recommended at least 8 hugs per day for good health. That number may not be something that is possible straight off but that is what friends and family, others are for.
So please get help, obtain advice if there are worries about finance or other concerns, keep posting if that helps, and know that you are important no matter if that does not feel like it at present..
Lots of ((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))) :):):):):):):):):):):)
IMG_3086 (1).jpg Seek those that will listen. IMG_3102 (2).jpg Even if the world feels like this
17903592_10206204455349159_992899227923968847_n.jpg And most things are possible

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes... mostly because I feel overwhelmed and also notice I have very little help My health doesn't help my depression at all. My clinical psych has come up with a solution for me... nice in theory although a bit hard to do when being around people equals pain for me (he thinks my depression will improve if I spend time with people more often... fact is I work and isolate myself the rest of the time mostly). Being around people means lots of talking.... some say it doesn't but in my experience it does. Give me an hour and I'm suffering bad after that.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Yes... mostly because I feel overwhelmed and also notice I have very little help My health doesn't help my depression at all. My clinical psych has come up with a solution for me... nice in theory although a bit hard to do when being around people equals pain for me (he thinks my depression will improve if I spend time with people more often... fact is I work and isolate myself the rest of the time mostly). Being around people means lots of talking.... some say it doesn't but in my experience it does. Give me an hour and I'm suffering bad after that.
Hi @Mep, in addition to being around people meaning this:IMG_3086 (1).jpg
Did you also mean that you do not like people talking around you or that you do not like having to talk??

Last edited:

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Mep, in addition to being around people meaning this:View attachment 29842
Did you also mean that you do not like people talking around you or that you do not like having to talk??

I do not like having to talk... the more I talk the more pain in my throat I get. Some people get me talking too much and I lose my voice completely. I have reflux laryngitis and muscle tension dysphonia and that's why it hurts me to talk. I've tried communicating other ways although it doesn't work too well as people race ahead in conversation and I can never go as fast as them using a phone app or whatever. I also don't like being in noisy environments because I can't raise my voice so it means I can't be heard.