Depression

Zaander

So i have been diagnosed with Type 1 diabeties for just over a month now at 24 years. I haven't been having any issues with working out the carb counting and injection numbers it all kind of makes sence to me.
The mental side of things less so. I dont understand why I feel so awful all the time or angry or sad. I keep snapping at my family that don't deserve it. I'm terrified that im going to cross a line and keep snapping. But I also dont understand why I have to be having a rollercoaster of emotions all the time. Why sometimes it feels OK and others it feels like i just can't do this anymore and i know im being stupid because its all controllable and I can be normal.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
So i have been diagnosed with Type 1 diabeties for just over a month now at 24 years. I haven't been having any issues with working out the carb counting and injection numbers it all kind of makes sence to me.
The mental side of things less so. I dont understand why I feel so awful all the time or angry or sad. I keep snapping at my family that don't deserve it. I'm terrified that im going to cross a line and keep snapping. But I also dont understand why I have to be having a rollercoaster of emotions all the time. Why sometimes it feels OK and others it feels like i just can't do this anymore and i know im being stupid because its all controllable and I can be normal.

Welcome to the forums.

Without knowing your glucose levels, being high and having fluctuating levels can affect your emotions. It is quite common to have feelings of depression or being a bit "ratty".

The good news is, it usually goes away when you start to get things under control.

If your blood glucose is under good control already, then it maybe just a 'shock to the system' type of trauma which is also not uncommon.

Hang in there.

LibbyE

I’ve recently been told I’m type 2, like you I know it’s controllable (I appreciate T1 is different kettle of fish) and I try to be rational about it. I’ve got a grip and adjusted my diet, and now 3 weeks in, I feel so much better physically and mentally. I now realise that over the months I’ve been feeling like I’m on an emotional rollercoaster, most of it was because I was filling my body with stuff it couldn’t manage. I cried, I snapped, I was generally moody and tired all the time. I hope that over the coming weeks as you settle into routine, you experience the same thing to and your emotional and physical wellbeing improve :)
Welcome to the forums.

Without knowing your glucose levels, being high and having fluctuating levels can affect your emotions. It is quite common to have feelings of depression or being a bit "ratty".

The good news is, it usually goes away when you start to get things under control.

If your blood glucose is under good control already, then it maybe just a 'shock to the system' type of trauma which is also not uncommon.

Hang in there.
From

Zaander

Thank you!

Some days it feels like everything is under control othera it feels like its impossible i dont know its like i know what om doing in theory but harder in practise. I'm just so fed up of feeling awful.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A life-altering diagnosis tends to come with some mourning... Depression being one of the classic Kübler-Ross stages of grief, as are anger/resentment. I'm a T2, and while that's quite different from a T1, it did hit me like a ton of bricks. No other diagnosis, and I've had a few, hit me like that one. So while you're doing all the right things and managing just fine, intellectually... It'll take a while for your emotions to catch up. There might just be some grief and rebellion against this condition, which changed the way you thought your life was going to look. Give yourself a moment to work through this. Once your blood sugars are steady and in a good range for a while that should also make you feel better, emotionally.

Basically: Cut yourself some slack. And it will get better in time. Should you feel it isn't getting any better, bring it up with your team. No shame in a little medicinal help to get you back to good.
Jo

Reactions: Zaander

SOPHIE2006

Welcome to the forums.

Hang in there.
I'm the same. I can always tell my sugars are too low. My mood changes and I'm grumpy and irritable with people around me.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there, in my opinion a month is nowhere NEAR time enough to even appreciate what you have suddenly been diagnosed with. It is like a bereavement and can take quite a while to come to grips with. You have been told this is something you can't control with diet alone, there are no 'lifestyle' choices you can make to get rid of it, there is NOTHING you can do to send it into remission, all the things you may hear that are attributed to type 2, not type 1 (and hardly easy or simple then). I suspect the way you are feeling is anger pure & simple. I was livid at my diagnosis and it took a few months to accept it but only when I became more experienced at it all. As for 'normal', well it will eventually become normal for you. Accept that you are only a month in and your feelings are perfectly natural, we're only human! Try and talk it through with your family if you can, they are probably treading on eggshells around you not knowing how to help. I wonder if you are able to get in touch with other type 1s of your age?, sometimes it can help to speak with people who have been through something similar. Many people are well meaning of course but have no idea what it is like to live as a type 1 in YOUR shoes, whether it's because they are not type 1 or they are but they're 30 years older or for many other reasons. I'm sending lots of good wishes to you because it can be a very lonely condition. x

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Genuinely thank you to everyone posting on here sounds stupid but its nice to know im not feeling terrible without reason and nice to know it will get better.

Relax, and try be kind to your loved ones.

I am saying this in the full knowledge that Mrs Urb' put up with a lot of bad tempered comments around the time of my diagnosis. A case of "Do as I say, not as I do".

mouseee

I was dreadful to my husband yesterday but couldnt tell you if it was PMT or blood sugar. I should have tested that'd help! I wouldn't admit I was in a bad mood either.

I was diagnosed t2 last year and went full pelt to get it under control. At the moment I feel far less positive and I'd like to forget I'm diabetic and just eat whatever I want for a while. I think that the way we feel about this is so different for everyone.

Try and be kind to yourself and if in doubt test that blood sugar (if nothing else you can use it as an excuse for your mood!)

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm the same. I can always tell my sugars are too low. My mood changes and I'm grumpy and irritable with people around me.

Are you sure you aren't irritable because your sugars are too HIGH, not too low... I have type two diabetes as well, and I know I get mood disordered (grumpy and irritable) when my blood glucose levels are too high... which is what happens with type two...