depth of finger prick

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
Will that affect a reading? I suspect it does. What do u think?

Reactions: Leeannea

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
I don't think it does affect the reading. I use the lowest setting because it hurts less. My fingers must be warm though, or not enough blood comes out. If there isn't enough blood to get a reading my meter gives an error message.

Reactions: millenium
D

Deleted Account

I do not believe it affects the reading.
I believe the best practice advice is to set the depth to the smallest value which gives you enough blood for testing to avoid bruising and pain.

What makes you think the depth of the prick would affect the BG reading?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Cant see it making any difference really. I have elephant hide for skin so mine is set to max (dont feel a thing!)
As @helensaramay has asked, why do you think it would make a difference

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i shouldnt think so as you only need a drop of blood and if you go deeper the bloods not going to change:)

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
Cant see it making any difference really. I have elephant hide for skin so mine is set to max (dont feel a thing!)
As @helensaramay has asked, why do you think it would make a difference

Cos sometimes i get an unexpected reading and i test a second time immediately and i get another reading that is one mmol apart. And i realise the depth is not the same due to the difference in pressure i press the lancet device on the finger.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Cos sometimes i get an unexpected reading and i test a second time immediately and i get another reading that is one mmol apart. And i realise the depth is not the same due to the difference in pressure i press the lancet device on the finger.
I think it's more likely due to the testing device being + or - a bit at times. Have you checked that your test strips have not expired?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
There is, I believe, a 15% tolerance on the readings

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As already suggested meters are not always going to be 100% accurate, but your glucose levels will be changing all the time (depending on what and when you ate and how much glucose you've used as energy) as your blood circulates. So you would be just as likely to get a different reading with the same depth of prick simply because you are picking up and testing a different blob of blood.

Robbity