1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

depth of finger prick

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by millenium, May 31, 2018.

1. millenium

millenium Carer · Well-Known Member

Will that affect a reading? I suspect it does. What do u think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jenny15

Jenny15 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't think it does affect the reading. I use the lowest setting because it hurts less. My fingers must be warm though, or not enough blood comes out. If there isn't enough blood to get a reading my meter gives an error message.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

I do not believe it affects the reading.
    I believe the best practice advice is to set the depth to the smallest value which gives you enough blood for testing to avoid bruising and pain.

What makes you think the depth of the prick would affect the BG reading?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Cant see it making any difference really. I have elephant hide for skin so mine is set to max (dont feel a thing!)
    As @helensaramay has asked, why do you think it would make a difference

• Like Like x 1
  5. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

i shouldnt think so as you only need a drop of blood and if you go deeper the bloods not going to change:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I have my Multiclix lancing device set on 3½ and I have no problems with the bgl readings.

• Like Like x 1
  7. millenium

millenium Carer · Well-Known Member

Cos sometimes i get an unexpected reading and i test a second time immediately and i get another reading that is one mmol apart. And i realise the depth is not the same due to the difference in pressure i press the lancet device on the finger.

8. Jenny15

Jenny15 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think it's more likely due to the testing device being + or - a bit at times. Have you checked that your test strips have not expired?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There is, I believe, a 15% tolerance on the readings

10. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

As already suggested meters are not always going to be 100% accurate, but your glucose levels will be changing all the time (depending on what and when you ate and how much glucose you've used as energy) as your blood circulates. So you would be just as likely to get a different reading with the same depth of prick simply because you are picking up and testing a different blob of blood.

Robbity

• Agree Agree x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook