Desmond - thumbs up

Claire_Terry

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Heya everyone who is reading this.

I attended the Desmond course today 23/06/2015. I was diagnosed in May 2015, I joined this forum which I must say is fab I had read mixed reviews about the educational course Desmond and I was really in 2 minds whether to go. Was I going to gain anything from this day session.

Well....

Yes I did, I surprisingly enjoyed it and thought it was worth attending.

There was about 12/14 of us, the majority took partners/companion/friends etc, some went alone. I took my husband. I was the youngest at the group aged 29 and others were 60+ I would say (I hope that doesn't sound rude) age is just a number!

Started with an introduction, name, when diagnosed, what systems do you have, causes, long term health problems and burning questions. Everyone spoke even the non diabetic people.

We looked how the body works normal human vs T1 vs T2. Was interesting seeing the magnetic diagram broken down in real simple terms.

Looked at foods and carbs, we had to put sugar cubes next to them guessing how much sugar is in items and I was shocked at some items you would think we're healthy were really bad and some items that you would had thought would have been awful weren't actually that bad etc

We looked at T2 and the facts etc, leading into further health complications and risks.

I liked that they really explained the sugar levels, hb1ac test and how it works. Looked at cholesterol and how that is worked out etc and how to manage it blah blah blah.

Part of the course was about exercise and healthy food choices.

We touched on blood pressure, smoking, depression, circulation, general health. Discussed seeing your surgeries diabetic nurse, check ups and regular testing etc.

You get given a folder with booklets all about T2 diabetes, lots of hand outs too.

When summarising am the day you fill out scorching plan which one area you would like to focus one.

It was a very relaxed environment with a mixture of knowledge. I attended the course in Worthing, West Sussex.

If you have been offered and unsure, I would recommend going, I wanted to write a positive post about Desmond as I think it's pretty good the NHS fund this course and awareness Ali g with the support.

Any questions, feel free to ask me anything.

Hope you have found this useful, sorry if I blabbed on!!!

Claire xxx

Reactions: 8 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Sounds as though a good thing to do I have never been invited to it though

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
sounds very good, i have been booked on the course called JUGGLE , maybe it similar , the juggle course is a 4week course, 1 morning a week.

Last edited by a moderator:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My DESMOND is over two half days, my second being today. I hope it goes well.

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for posting, I've been given the number to ring to go on the course but haven't made the call yet. I think I will go on it and see what happens. I am trying to avoid getting confused about the way I have chosen to eat but it would be good to get all the information they have

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's great to know. I've requested my place but unfortunately the service in my area is not as efficient as it will be 8/9 months away!!! Ah well might be a post Christmas kick in case of a lapse during the festivities.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Attended part 2 of my Desmond course yesterday. Much better than the first half as the double act seemed a bit more relaxed. Lots of great information but we did agree to differ on carb intake. Had an interesting discussion about retrograding starch in rice, potatoes and pasta.