Developing Type1 Diabetes

jamesiacobus

Hi

I am looking for a bit of advice here. Thanks in advance if you are able to answer or comment.

Abour 3-4 months ago I went to the doctors as I was thirsty/urinating/tired all the time. The first doctor I saw was a locum and was really nice. She really listened and was friendly. She sent me for a 8hr fasting blood glucose test. When I got the result I saw a different doctor. The results were higher than the normal range, but this guy seemed really uninterested and bored. He basically sent me away telling me nothing was wrong. I later worked out i was fasting for about 11hrs.

Since then, i am still having the same issues (drinking etc), but also have excema on my hands, no sex drive at all and i think my eyes are getting worse. My eyes have been getting worse for the last fews years, so it could be unrelated.

Should I got back to the doctors, or am I linking unrelated things? Would the fact that I fasted for more than 8hrs be an issue?

Thanks again

James

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum ,jamesiacobus, do you remember what your fasting blood test was? The amount of time you fasted should not make that much difference.
Please go back to doctor and find out about this test and ,if necessary get a second opinion.This is your health ,you have a right to proper information.

jamesiacobus

Hi Sue
I don't remember what the result was, but i do remember that it was 0.2 higher than the top of the range. What should it be for a fasting test?
J

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
It should be below 7 James .Between 6 and 7 shows impaired tolerance and below 6 is normal.

lilibet

Im by no means an expert but i would think if you were type 1 with higher sugars/borderline sugars then over a period of 4 months it would have become very apparent. No one knows how long type 1s have it prior to dx, or how long beta cell destruction has been going on but I think things do become much more apparently much more quickly than Type 2.

However, this doesnt rule out Type 2, or Glucose intolerance which may lead to diabetes so think you should go back to Doc and insist on another test

L

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
Generally, i think the onset of type 1 is fairly quick... 2-3months. As with type 1 the insulin production stops and so the blood sugars go up quickly.

If you're levels fasting are at 7, then that is a little higher than it should be. Im not so sure that 7 would cause your excessive thirst, increased visits to the loo and blurry vision though, having said that everybody is different!

It's well worth your while going to a pharmacy and buying a blood glucose meter, like a OneTouch Ultraeasy or a freestyle... they dont cost much. Anyway, once you have on of these you can test your blood sugars yourself.

I suggest you test once when you wake up... which is a good fasting time. before you eat and 2 hours after a meal (no less 2 hours). all of those results *should* be with 4 - 7mmol/L.

If they are all higher... particularly the fasting result, then go back to your doctor WITH your readings. If he doesn't listen then see a different doctor.

Good luck!

Trinkwasser

Fasting BG is generally a poor diagnostic, many forms of Type 2 start with high postprandials and the fasting BG only goes up later.

I'd be tempted to buy a meter and do this

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/

and take the results in to my doctor

Even if you are Not Diabetic, it would be a good plan to act as if you are, reduce the carbs and get your BG down into normal range.

Other tests which may be diagnostic would be full lipid panel and blood pressure.

Type 1 in children has a very rapid onset, but adult onset (LADA) may still have measurable insulin output after months or even years. Statistically you are more likely to be Type 2 especially if there is any family history of diabetes or cardiovascular disease