Dexcom G5 pros and cons?

Kerry-Michelle

Hi all,

I'm currently using the freestyle libre sensors and I'm a bit fed up with how inaccurate they have been recently and how many have been faulty. I've been using the libre for a while now but maybe it's time to try something else.

I've had a browse on some posts here and I've emailed Dexcom themselves, however I was hoping I could get some information from Dexcom users on here?

What are the pros and cons?

How do you find the sensor and how long have they lasted for you? (Dexcom say 7 days?)

Where else do you apply the sensors?

Would you recommend the G5?

Thanks in advance guys!

Kerry

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I'm currently using the freestyle libre sensors and I'm a bit fed up with how inaccurate they have been recently and how many have been faulty. I've been using the libre for a while now but maybe it's time to try something else.

I've had a browse on some posts here and I've emailed Dexcom themselves, however I was hoping I could get some information from Dexcom users on here?

What are the pros and cons?

How do you find the sensor and how long have they lasted for you? (Dexcom say 7 days?)

Where else do you apply the sensors?

Would you recommend the G5?

Thanks in advance guys!

Kerry
Hello @Kerry-Michelle:)

I've not been using the G5 for very long, but hopefully I can answer some questions for you. It's worth noting that I'm using the xDrip+ app rather than the official Dexcom one, it's better and increases transmitter life. There are other benefits also.

Pros:
  • Longer sensor life than Libre (typically) at a similar price
  • Integration with Smartphone and smartwatch
  • Alarms for hypos and hypers
  • Predictive low alarms (xDrip+)
  • Personalisation of DIA, correction factors, I:C ratios, etc) that allows for an accurate bolus wizard (xDrip+)
  • The ability to configure with Nightscout to allow remote viewing of trends and data from a browser URL, pretty cool!
  • Nightscout autotune. This feature is pretty amazing. It allows for your I:C ratio and basal dose/rate to be calculated for you going by information gathered from the app. A little fiddly to set up but very handy indeed, especially for pump users.

Cons:
  • Cost, like everything in life... The transmitters especially, as they're are £200 each and only last 3 months with the official Dexcom app. I believe xDrip+ allows them to run a good bit longer but can't tell you how much longer. They are also "single use"; although there are ways round that.
  • Size. The G5 is larger than the Libre so there is increased risk of it getting pulled off on door frames, etc
  • Compression lows. I've found compression lows to become fairly frequent towards the end of the sensor life. It's not an issue at the start, but does become somewhat of a problem as the sensor nears death. It's not a big problem, but it does mean reports loose an amount of accuracy (estimated HbA1c, etc) and your overnight trends can't really be taken at face value.

I'm on my third sensor and have had lifespans of 25 and 22 days before my readings started getting inaccurate >2mmol/l out. I'd highly recommend the G5 as an equally affordable (if you know what to do) alternative to the Libre with many more features and also access to true CGM which the Libre doesn't offer.

Dexcom recently did a promotional offer to new customers which was excellent value for money

1) Transmitter and x1 sensor at £160. Worked out at a saving of £91.25.

2) Transmitter and x4 sensors at £275. Worked out at a saving of £130.

I don't know whether any of the offers are still standing, but I'm pretty sure they've both expired.

If there's anything else you can think of Kerry then just give me a shout:)

Grant

D

Deleted Account

I have not used the Dexcom G5. However, I have used the G4. This is because it integrates with my Animas Vibe pump so don't have to carry around (and pay for) a separate receiver.

Like you, @Kerry-Michelle, I got fed up with the inaccuracy of the Libre. I was also frustrated that it fell off easily but I have heard they have improved the stickiness.

Due to the cost of the G4, I do not use it all of the time and my main focus is to calibrate/adjust/optimise my pump settings. However, I do find the alarm function useful (if somewhat annoying ... which I guess is the idea) and see this as a huge benefit over the Libre. I tend to time my usage to coincide with an event where I expect my BG to be unreliable or difficult to monitor such as a work conference when food is different (usually stodgy) and available at unusual times.

The sensors are supposed to last for 7 days. However, you can restart them. So far, the longest I have got one to work is 11 days. I know many have extended this beyond two weeks but I seem to be a sensitive soul and the sensor starts irritating me which affects the readings.

The G4 is far more accurate than the Libre. I believe this is because you need to calibrate it a couple of times a day with a finger prick. I have no problem with this as I need to finger prick for driving, etc and use those readings. It also gives me more confidence in the readings from the G4.

Good luck which ever decision you take.

<Edit because I've thought of something else>
I managed to get a trial. I just asked my Diabetes Nurse who put me in touch with the local Johnson & Johnson rep who GAVE me 4 sensors and a transmitter.
Definitely no harm in asking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello, I graduated from the G4 to the G5 and much like @GrantGam I now use xdrip+. Everything he has mentioned I would like to second.

I would firstly say the G5 is miles better than the G4, I find it much more accurate (even though I had no complaints with the G4 when using it) and my last sensor lasted 21days.

downside is using an Android phone :( but I feel its worth it with the savings I get.

Reactions: GrantGam

Kerry-Michelle

Hello @Kerry-Michelle:)

I've not been using the G5 for very long, but hopefully I can answer some questions for you. It's worth noting that I'm using the xDrip+ app rather than the official Dexcom one, it's better and increases transmitter life. There are other benefits also.

Pros:
  • Longer sensor life than Libre (typically) at a similar price
  • Integration with Smartphone and smartwatch
  • Alarms for hypos and hypers
  • Predictive low alarms (xDrip+)
  • Personalisation of DIA, correction factors, I:C ratios, etc) that allows for an accurate bolus wizard (xDrip+)
  • The ability to configure with Nightscout to allow remote viewing of trends and data from a browser URL, pretty cool!
  • Nightscout autotune. This feature is pretty amazing. It allows for your I:C ratio and basal dose/rate to be calculated for you going by information gathered from the app. A little fiddly to set up but very handy indeed, especially for pump users.

Cons:
  • Cost, like everything in life... The transmitters especially, as they're are £200 each and only last 3 months with the official Dexcom app. I believe xDrip+ allows them to run a good bit longer but can't tell you how much longer. They are also "single use"; although there are ways round that.
  • Size. The G5 is larger than the Libre so there is increased risk of it getting pulled off on door frames, etc
  • Compression lows. I've found compression lows to become fairly frequent towards the end of the sensor life. It's not an issue at the start, but does become somewhat of a problem as the sensor nears death. It's not a big problem, but it does mean reports loose an amount of accuracy (estimated HbA1c, etc) and your overnight trends can't really be taken at face value.

I'm on my third sensor and have had lifespans of 25 and 22 days before my readings started getting inaccurate >2mmol/l out. I'd highly recommend the G5 as an equally affordable (if you know what to do) alternative to the Libre with many more features and also access to true CGM which the Libre doesn't offer.

Dexcom recently did a promotional offer to new customers which was excellent value for money

1) Transmitter and x1 sensor at £160. Worked out at a saving of £91.25.

2) Transmitter and x4 sensors at £275. Worked out at a saving of £130.

I don't know whether any of the offers are still standing, but I'm pretty sure they've both expired.

If there's anything else you can think of Kerry then just give me a shout:)

Grant

Thank you so very much Grant!!

Yes the offers are still running as the kind lady told me about them on the phone.

I really appreciate all the information you have provided! I have been thinking about this the past few days and I'm going to give them a try, as someone wise once said you don't know until you try!

Kerry

Kerry-Michelle

I have not used the Dexcom G5. However, I have used the G4. This is because it integrates with my Animas Vibe pump so don't have to carry around (and pay for) a separate receiver.

Like you, @Kerry-Michelle, I got fed up with the inaccuracy of the Libre. I was also frustrated that it fell off easily but I have heard they have improved the stickiness.

Due to the cost of the G4, I do not use it all of the time and my main focus is to calibrate/adjust/optimise my pump settings. However, I do find the alarm function useful (if somewhat annoying ... which I guess is the idea) and see this as a huge benefit over the Libre. I tend to time my usage to coincide with an event where I expect my BG to be unreliable or difficult to monitor such as a work conference when food is different (usually stodgy) and available at unusual times.

The sensors are supposed to last for 7 days. However, you can restart them. So far, the longest I have got one to work is 11 days. I know many have extended this beyond two weeks but I seem to be a sensitive soul and the sensor starts irritating me which affects the readings.

The G4 is far more accurate than the Libre. I believe this is because you need to calibrate it a couple of times a day with a finger prick. I have no problem with this as I need to finger prick for driving, etc and use those readings. It also gives me more confidence in the readings from the G4.

Good luck which ever decision you take.

<Edit because I've thought of something else>
I managed to get a trial. I just asked my Diabetes Nurse who put me in touch with the local Johnson & Johnson rep who GAVE me 4 sensors and a transmitter.
Definitely no harm in asking.

Thank you ever so much helensaramay I have an appointment with my nurses this week and will be talking to them about it.

I'm going to be making the move to dexcom after two Libre sensors I have applied this week have both been faulty and after speaking to the rude staff at Abbott, who were reluctant to replace them but did in the end! After I told them I'm disappointed with the sensors and that I'm thinking of moving to dexcom the "kind" lady said "fine then go to them we don't care" who'd of thought companies would allow their staff to treat paying customers with an attitude like that!! ‍♀️

Any way thank you all for the information I really do appreciate it!

Kerry

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so very much Grant!!

Yes the offers are still running as the kind lady told me about them on the phone.

I really appreciate all the information you have provided! I have been thinking about this the past few days and I'm going to give them a try, as someone wise once said you don't know until you try!

Kerry
That's quite alright, I like to help where I can:)

If you do go down the xDrip+/Nightscout route, you can give me a shout if you're struggling. I've done it fairly recently so it's still fresh. Initial setup can be quite fiddly even though the guides are very thorough.

Glad the offers are still standing, means you save a good bit!

Take care.

Reactions: Kerry-Michelle

BS92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all... sorry to hijack on this thread!
I've been using the Libre on and off for a year now but getting really fed up with it not sticking and falling off! I've tried sticking stuff over it, but in my mind that defeats the objective of it being small and discrete!
So I'm now looking into the Dexcom and have no idea whether to go for it or not? May be a silly question but above some of you have mentioned xDrip+..... what's that?! And another silly question... where can the dexcom sensor be worn? The libre on my arm just doesn't suit me as like I said keeps peeling off and I've also caught it on a doorframe a couple of times, so ideally I want to be able to put it somewhere else on my body!
Is it easy to order the dexcom and repeat supplies, if so, where can they be ordered from as I'm guessing it's an American product? And unlike the libre... do I need a new reader for every sensor, cause if so it's going to get very expensive!

Apologies for all the questions... just trying to get my head round it all and decide if it's for me!

Thanks in advance

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
where can the dexcom sensor be worn?
Dexcom sensors are designed to be worn on the abdomen, although most users get the best lifespan wearing them on the rear of the arm, just like the Libre.
Is it easy to order the dexcom and repeat supplies, if so, where can they be ordered from as I'm guessing it's an American product? And unlike the libre... do I need a new reader for every sensor, cause if so it's going to get very expensive!
You will buy all your supplies from Dexcom's UK branch. Ordering supplies is similar to ordering Libre sensors from Abbott.

If you use the G5 with your mobile phone, then there is no need for a receiver (the reader) at all. If you decide you want to use a receiver, then it's a one off purchase and you can keep reusing that with every sensor.

Note that the biggest expense with the G4 and G5 are the transmitters. Annual costs for the G5 will be somewhere in the range of £600-£800 depending on what app (official Dexcom/xDrip+) you decide to use.

Have a look at the suggestion I made here to help keep the Libre stuck down:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/sports-with-libre-freestyle.125239/#post-1537255

Hope that helps:)

zbluebirdz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, another thread hijacker .. :)

A few questions:

Can you use the G5 with any Android phone? - especially with the xDrip+ app?

Do you need to have the official app to activate the sensor/transmitter?

Can the transmitter be put to "sleep" for a few weeks and the "woken up" again? (i.e. use a sensor then have a few weeks off and then use another sensor).

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you use the G5 with any Android phone? - especially with the xDrip+ app?
Probably, providing your using an up to date version of Android. I think 5.1 of higher. These phones work the best with the G5 and xDrip/xDrip+ though:

https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/blob/master/Documentation/Phones_For_G5.md

Do you need to have the official app to activate the sensor/transmitter?
No, I've never used the official app.

Can the transmitter be put to "sleep" for a few weeks and the "woken up" again? (i.e. use a sensor then have a few weeks off and then use another sensor).
Not that I'm aware. But, if the transmitter is not connected to a sensor - then the circuit isn't made and it's not on-load, so to speak. Therefore it should be no different to a packet of batteries sat in a drawer. The transmitter should be good in that state for a good while within reason. How long is a piece of string though regarding it's shelf life. Dexcom do give the transmitters a limited warranty from date of purchase, not date of first use, so I'd be weary about performance if left unused for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: zbluebirdz

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
G5 transmitters come with a "start by" date after which Dexcom won't guarantee transmitter life. This suggests that there is a finite lifespan on the battery of around 1 year and 3-5 months. Technically, I suppose it means you could take it off, not use it for a bit and then reuse it, but I've no idea what that does to battery life as most people use it constantly, as the data is addictive!

zbluebirdz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another question:
How long does the sensor / transmitter hold the data for, if the receiver is off / out of range?
i.e. does it hold onto the data for 1 hour? 4 hours? 8 hours? 24 hours?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Another question:
How long does the sensor / transmitter hold the data for, if the receiver is off / out of range?
i.e. does it hold onto the data for 1 hour? 4 hours? 8 hours? 24 hours?
The G5 transmitter holds eight hours (it may be 10, I don't recall exactly) of data if you're out of range of the receiver/app.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I changed from the Libre after suffering skin problems with them.

The G5 has been a lot better with respect to that. Accuracy has generally been good up until the fourth week. Around the middle of week two the sensor generally starts to lose it's stickiness for me and requires some adhesive tape to ensure it doesn't become loose to the point of falling off. I understand that the transmitter cannot be paused and once activated runs for just over 3 months. Also you don't need to scan as it sends info via bluetooth to your phone. It could do the same to a smartwatch if you have the right one. There is a list of compatible phones on the Dexcom website.

Financially, once you've had the offer pack, which is good value, I find it works out at around £35 a week, slightly dearer than the Libre.

JoeMoomin

Dexcom sensors are designed to be worn on the abdomen, although most users get the best lifespan wearing them on the rear of the arm, just like the Libre.

You will buy all your supplies from Dexcom's UK branch. Ordering supplies is similar to ordering Libre sensors from Abbott.

If you use the G5 with your mobile phone, then there is no need for a receiver (the reader) at all. If you decide you want to use a receiver, then it's a one off purchase and you can keep reusing that with every sensor.

Note that the biggest expense with the G4 and G5 are the transmitters. Annual costs for the G5 will be somewhere in the range of £600-£800 depending on what app (official Dexcom/xDrip+) you decide to use.

Have a look at the suggestion I made here to help keep the Libre stuck down:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/sports-with-libre-freestyle.125239/#post-1537255

Hope that helps:)

Thanks for all the info and sorry to hijack the thread. I've just received the Libre starter pack today to give it a go - but I am more drawn to the Dexcom. At £600-£800, is that with a sensor on all year round? Looks about half the price I've worked out!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the info and sorry to hijack the thread. I've just received the Libre starter pack today to give it a go - but I am more drawn to the Dexcom. At £600-£800, is that with a sensor on all year round? Looks about half the price I've worked out!
That's with full time usage for the year, going on 3 weeks per sensor and the ability to change the TX batteries twice a year. Something which looks very much doable by the way.