Dexcom G5 -vs- Libre

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm considering switching to Dexcom G5 even though it will cost a lot more, mainly because I'm sick of the allergic skin reaction I have to the Libre (I understand this may also be a problem with Dexcom but I won't know until I try it) and I'd like the ability to see my readings on my watch/phone and do away with lugging the reader everywhere.

However, I'm trying to weight up the pros and cons and would be grateful for any thoughts? If anyone has tried both I'd love to hear your views.

Dexcom G5
+ no need to carry reader around, can use phone/watch
+ good apps and ability to track readings/trends over time (compared to the slightly rubbish Libre reader)
+/- may not have an allergic reaction
- high cost
- bulkier size
- need to calibrate and less accurate than Libre (is that correct?)

Libre
+ cheaper
+ smaller
+ no calibration, supposedly more accurate than Dexcom (never had any problems with accuracy when I fired it through Compeed but now that I need to make a hole in the Compeed I've been really disappointed with the appalling accuracy ... so maybe this is actually a negative for me)
- bad skin reaction

Grateful for any thoughts.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the G4 and can say I wouldnt go to the Libre because of the lack of alarms. I have fab accuracy too (often within 1mmol)

do you use a pump?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@pinewood I wrote my experiences of living with Dexcom G4 using xDrip here versus the Libre. My key points about living with the two are:
  • Libre overstates highs when you check, then reverts back to a lower level in historical data when compared to the G4/xDrip combination, which understates them
  • The G4/xDrip seems to understate lows more than the Libre does, although I've seen occasional overstatement of lows from the Libre
  • When the arrow is level, then they are similar in the numbers they report back
  • The Libre's predictive algorithm when the blood glucose level is moving and not flat is better at "keeping up" with what's going on in a blood test. The G4/xDrip solution shows a noticeable delay
  • The alarms that G4/xDrip provides can be really helpful, especially when you are struggling to adjust your basal overnight
  • Having a real-time feed to a smartwatch is cool, but also really useful. And even less noticeable than scanning!
In terms of MARD, so effectively accuracy, Libre reports 11.4%, Dex G4 is 13% for the European version and Dex G5 reported 9% in adults.

I love the watch app side of it. The sensor size difference hasn't been a problem for me. I wear it in the same place as the Libre and:
  • Adhesive on the sensor has been way longer lasting than Libre. I'm at 19 days now and it's only just starting to peel.
  • Doesn't itch like the Libre, so I suspect no reaction.
  • I've not managed to bash it any more than I bashed the Libre sensor.
I don't find calibration an issue with the G4 via xDrip and the G5 is supposed to be even better. It's only twice daily and seems to manage very effectively at keeping in line.

Obviously the key difference between the G4 and the G5 is the algorithm they use and the bluetooth link from the transmitter itself. Both systems use the same sensor so it's neither here nor there in terms of how the sensor/transmitter fits.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was one of the first people to start using the G5 back in September. A few thoughts in that time:

-It has an early hypo detection that will sometimes record a false low if your blood sugar drops too fast. However, that seems to have corrected itself either from software updates or through its ability to adapt to my readings over time.

-If you sleep on your stomach and roll onto the sensor, it can record false lows. I've posted my story before but I had the paramedics show up at my door once because my Dexcom showed I dropped below 2.0mmol and my family couldn't reach me by phone.

-Occasionally, I'll have signal loss issues. That seems to be more of an issue of interference with other Bluetooth connections within my house but it's still worth mentioning. It hasn't happened in several weeks now.

-not sure if the libre does this but my Dexcom syncs with my iPhone's "health" data. I can see the data going all the way back to 6 months ago to track how my control has improved on a macro level.

All in all, I'm very happy with the system and I feel naked without it at this point. Installing the sensor correctly seems to be the most important key to accuracy. The times it was inaccurate I pulled off the sensor to find the wire was bent which means it wasn't resting in my subcutaneous fat and was taking readings from my muscle.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are self funding the G4 is cheaper simply because of the length of time the transmitter lasts. G4 transmitter is guaranteed for 6 months, but the two I've had each lasted 13 months. The G5 transmitters cost the same in the UK (£360 each from AT) but stop after 3 months - a big difference. For the moment at least, G4 & G5 use exactly the same sensors. Dexcom are planning to bring out a newer sensor with a new inserter for the G5.

Reactions: 2 people

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone. Lots to think about. I don't think G4 is worth the uplift in cost from Libre if it doesn't have the mobile capability; I don't want to carry that big reader around with me.

I see that SugarBeat are pushing ahead and hoping to launch by end of this year so maybe I should hang tight.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don't think G4 is worth the uplift in cost from Libre if it doesn't have the mobile capability; I don't want to carry that big reader around with me.
Believe me I'm not. My uplift in cost was the Transmitter. I don't own a receiver. Based on my first sensor, I'm likely to get between 3 and 4 weeks per sensor, so it works out at about £18 per week rather than £25 for the Libre. The xDrip bits were about £30, so all in all, my outlay is about £300, which, given the sensor price reduction works out over the year at being around about a £160 annual saving.

I should add, I already had an Android phone that I could use for xDrip, so I didn't have to outlay for that!

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Believe me I'm not. My uplift in cost was the Transmitter. I don't own a receiver. Based on my first sensor, I'm likely to get between 3 and 4 weeks per sensor, so it works out at about £18 per week rather than £25 for the Libre. The xDrip bits were about £30, so all in all, my outlay is about £300, which, given the sensor price reduction works out over the year at being around about a £160 annual saving.

I should add, I already had an Android phone that I could use for xDrip, so I didn't have to outlay for that!
Most of that went over my head! I use an iPhone 6 and Apple watch and wouldn't want to change from those .... so to the extent I need an android phone to use the G4 without the reader it wouldn't make any difference because I'd still need to lug an android phone around with me in place of the reader? Can G4 work with Apple?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Most of that went over my head! I use an iPhone 6 and Apple watch and wouldn't want to change from those .... so to the extent I need an android phone to use the G4 without the reader it wouldn't make any difference because I'd still need to lug an android phone around with me in place of the reader? Can G4 work with Apple?
That's a fair point. At that level, you're best with the G5.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can Dexcom audibly alert you if your BG goes ABOVE a certain level?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep - you can set high and low alerts where ever suits your target. You can also set it to alert if it is dropping very quickly.

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are Low, Urgent Low, High, Rise rate, fall rate, and signal loss alerts that can be set with the G5. In addition, my family can receive those alerts through the Dexcom "Share" application.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was one of the first people to start using the G5 back in September. A few thoughts in that time:

-It has an early hypo detection that will sometimes record a false low if your blood sugar drops too fast. However, that seems to have corrected itself either from software updates or through its ability to adapt to my readings over time.

-If you sleep on your stomach and roll onto the sensor, it can record false lows. I've posted my story before but I had the paramedics show up at my door once because my Dexcom showed I dropped below 2.0mmol and my family couldn't reach me by phone.

-Occasionally, I'll have signal loss issues. That seems to be more of an issue of interference with other Bluetooth connections within my house but it's still worth mentioning. It hasn't happened in several weeks now.

-not sure if the libre does this but my Dexcom syncs with my iPhone's "health" data. I can see the data going all the way back to 6 months ago to track how my control has improved on a macro level.

All in all, I'm very happy with the system and I feel naked without it at this point. Installing the sensor correctly seems to be the most important key to accuracy. The times it was inaccurate I pulled off the sensor to find the wire was bent which means it wasn't resting in my subcutaneous fat and was taking readings from my muscle.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I've been happily using the G5 for a month or so now and wondered about the Apple Heath sync; I find it a little annoying I can only view my last 24 hours of data on the App - do I have to do something to sync it with Apple health data? At the moment it is saying I have no blood glucose results.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I've been happily using the G5 for a month or so now and wondered about the Apple Heath sync; I find it a little annoying I can only view my last 24 hours of data on the App - do I have to do something to sync it with Apple health data? At the moment it is saying I have no blood glucose results.
In the app, select the Hamburger Icon, Settings -> Health and then use "Enable".

Reactions: pinewood