Dexcom g7

sninge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm going to be giving g7 a try very soon, I'm already on g6 and previously I was on libre 1 and then 2. With all of those I have put them in for about 24hr before I start them as I find that stops me getting erratic readings for the first 24hrs. I have read that the g7 activates as soon as you put it on and starts it 1/2 hr warm up. Can anyone let me know if I have no choice but to start my 10 days then or when I activate the app??

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @sninge you can preinsert the G7. The issue is that when you activate it it starts the sensor's life countdown from the insertion time.

But you also get a 12 hour bonus time when it ends so if you pre-insert it then you can still get 10 days out of it with a warm up time of 12 hours. Also, if you pre-insert it starts giving readings after 25 minutes (you just don't see them on your phone till you activate, so you can compare the readings with the expirig G7 when you do activate.

if you really want 24 full hours before using it, you'll need to resign yourself to only getting 9.5 days out of each sensor.

Hope my explanation makes sense, happy to clarify if it doesn't.

Just started y first pump (tandem tslim) so had to go back to G6 (they want me on basal-IQ while my ratios get sorted) so I had a few days of G6 ad G7 in parallel :)

• Informative
Reactions: Hopeful34

sninge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Ellie, yes that makes sense. So I can have a warm up of up to 12 hrs which im sure will work fine, I always try for 24hr with g6 but life happens so it often gets less! I am really looking forward to not having the 2 hr warm up that I have with g6.
I've been on tslim about 18 months now and I love it. I run it most the time on sleep mode which it works like basal mode and that suits me. It aims to keep you very slightly lower but only using basal adjustments. This works for me as I exercise at random times and there is nothing worse than going to exercise and discovering the pump has just given you a bolus for a slight high you are about to exercise down. I'm also a little bit of a control freak and after 18 yrs pumping I still like a say in my corrections, when I see im too high I go into bolus on my pump and it offers me the correction it thinks I need so I choose if I agree or want to adjust and then correct, it works for me.... I like to think my pump and me are a good team!
Good luck with yours, im sure you will love it and thanks again for your help!