Diabetes 1 And Depression + Antidepressants

kaup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys,

How common is depression for you who have Diabetes 1? Experience with antidepressants? When do you know that antidepressants might be the only solution to diabetes 1 depression?

I have been having low and high blood sugar peaks and also weight gain. This is probably due to my diabetes 1 depression but also a “normal depression”

When diets, exercise, meditation and yoga does not work. What are the alternatives besides therapy? And what if therapy does not work and any other natural remedies to balance your diabetes 1? Is antidepressants consider “normal!” to take for Diabetics?

I was once on Cymbalta (fluoxetine) for stress and depression and I never felt so good in my life. No side effects. It also helped me to lose weight and regulate my blood sugar much better. I might consider it again but I'm always afraid of side effects. Also will do counseling.

Reactions: mansingh01

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not a type 1. But i was on another SSRI, Escitalopram. No major side effects. Helps with sleep. I mentioned it to a mate and he confided in me that he was on something simular. In other words, its in widespread use accross the whole population. I am not on it now, but wouldn’t hesitate to use it again.
If it helps you function, then go for it, you can always drop down to a very low dose for maintenance.

Dora3

Hi I have just recently started Victoza injections am type 2 diabetic this has really made me feel low I already take antidepressant's and have other health issue's, Which is difficult to cope with as well. Am trying hard to loses weight but am an emotional eater and do so when stressed, which is a lot of the time with an elderly mother and bi polar daughter. Relationships are not easy to say the least. I would like to know how other people are coping with these injections and what side effects they have experienced. I seem to have cold legs and feet more so now than before and seem to be having some type skin reaction with spots like a teenager?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Dora3

Sorry to hear of your issues. You may be better off starting a new thread directly asking about your medication as this is an old thread.