Diabetes 1 course

grahamrb

Thanks Ellie
The course was very good and my wife now understands a lot more.
I have designed a spreadsheet which when printed she uses to record everything. She has a different ratio for every meal and the correction factor is 1 to 2 for readings over 8.

Readings more steady now between 3 and about 18 normally about 30 to 40 % within range
Don’t think that we will do better than this
Now have a libre2 on prescription which saves about £110 per month.
Biggest problem is eating out impossible to plan so we take 6 units before the meal and sometimes some units after,it’s all guesswork but really can’t see any other way. Try to order what we think is sensible but you just don’t know what is in restaurant food.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Don’t think that we will do better than this

I suspect and hope you will both find it gets easier as time goes on, but there is quite a learning curve and after 52 years of insulin I am still finding out new things.

I'm glad you found the course useful and please don't let the occasional restaurant conniption stop you both from enjoying your lives. I have been very impressed by your perseverance and determination, despite advice which must sometimes seem confusing and/or conflicting.

grahamrb

Dear Ellie

I have never seen the word conniption it tiurns out that it is American and means getting into a rage.

Pleased be advised that I have NEVER got into a rage about this subject, just frustrated.

However your advice is always welcome.

grahamrb

It is several weeks since we attended the course and are coming to terms with completing the form every meal time in order to get the correct dosage of insulin. The trouble is that in order to make it easier we tend to eat the same thing for breakfast every day so that we don’t have to look up the carbs of new foods
Lunchtime is normally a bit frenetic since we now have to eat
Dinner time is usually planned about 1 hour before we eat.

We went on a NHS online weight course
The main elements of which were
1 - No sugar - we try to do this anyway

2- Cut down on carbs - not sure about this

3- absolutely no processed food which is in my view a very good thing

We’ll see what happens