Diabetes after transplant

chocky58

Hi,

I've read a few of the threads on here and found them very useful/entertaining. Time to join in! I had a kidney transplant 18 months ago and 2 months after that, after routine bloods were taken but with no symptoms, I was diagnosed with diabetes- type 2 they told me. I've since learned that its something that can affect transplantees and is referred to as NODAT - new onset diabetes after transplant. I started immediately injecting with Lantus 1 x 39mg and Humalog 3 x 5-8mg daily. I have put on so much weight :( Literally none of my clothes pre-transplant fitted me, even my feet grew a size! I havent heard of any other transplant patients with diabetes and wonder if there is anyone with a similar medical history? It would be good to compare notes :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. One thing to note is that some meds such as steroids do cause diabetes or make it worse so it is possible some of the drugs you may be on are not helping the diabetes but no doubt essential. Also note that any surgery will cause inflammation and blood sugar rise. I had a recent prostate op and my Basal went up from 11 to 15 units for a few weeks. I assume you are carb-counting with your Humalog? This is important if you want to optimise blood sugar and weight. Your Lantus shots seem a quite high so may be you need to reduce your carbs as high carbs with insulin equals weight gain. When weight is reduced so should the insulin so keep using the meter. Nothing I'm saying, of course, should over-ride what the HCPs tell you as you have very specific medical conditions, but bear in mind many HCPs with 'normal' diabetic patients will encourage high carb intake with no scientific basis so be prepared to question and discuss things.

Reactions: 2 people

chocky58

[QUOthanks for your reply- some useful stuff in there. Im not carb counting but maybe need to look into that. My GP who leads on diabetes at the surgery tells me that most people lose weight on insulin! That made me feel a complete failure lol. Whilst reading posts on the forum, ive noticed there seems to be a wide variation in knowledge, practice and advice certainly across the UK. "Daibell, post: 604943, member: 21149"]Hi. One thing to note is that some meds such as steroids do cause diabetes or make it worse so it is possible some of the drugs you may be on are not helping the diabetes but no doubt essential. Also note that any surgery will cause inflammation and blood sugar rise. I had a recent prostate op and my Basal went up from 11 to 15 units for a few weeks. I assume you are carb-counting with your Humalog? This is important if you want to optimise blood sugar and weight. Your Lantus shots seem a quite high so may be you need to reduce your carbs as high carbs with insulin equals weight gain. When weight is reduced so should the insulin so keep using the meter. Nothing I'm saying, of course, should over-ride what the HCPs tell you as you have very specific medical conditions, but bear in mind many HCPs with 'normal' diabetic patients will encourage high carb intake with no scientific basis so be prepared to question and discuss things.[/QUOTE]
Hi, tha