Diabetes and Anxiety

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have you ever wondered why you sometimes just sit and cry for no reason at all?

I do not have diabetes, but I have a condition that has hypoglycaemic episodes due to my hormones mainly insulin. Because of these episodes I developed as a symptom anxiety in a period which I called my 'hypo hell'
In this period of my life, my blood glucose levels were bouncing up and down fluctuating between hyper and hypo and this induced many symptoms including anxiety. When you have so many differing and diverse symptoms. Your body's discipline to control emotions and feelings is so temperamental and confusing. Ending up with anger and you spend your days locked away , trying to cope and trying to make sense of it all with the dread and fear that goes with it all.

First, the definition of anxiety, and then i'll wrap it up, with how I dealt with it. If you can get past the science and the meaning of what happens and how it all interacts.
Anxiety is an emotion characterised by an unpleasant state of inner turmoil. It is the unpleasant feeling of dread over anticipated events. It is an overreation to a situation that is seen as menacing.
Anxiety is defined as a future orientated or state in which one is not ready or prepared or willing to cope with negative events. It is future agony, dread, terror, apprehension brought forward to the here and now.
The emotional effects also include, trouble concentrating and waiting for signs of impending danger, and feeling like your mind has gone blank.
Nightmares, bad or surreal vivid dreams, obsession of your sensations or thoughts and deja vu. A loss of confidence, inner turmoil, everything is suddenly scary and you can be trapped in your own mind.

Anxiety disorders can occur in eating disorders and thyroid conditions, all types of diabetes and metabolic syndrome disorders.

So how do we get these anxiety symptoms?

Well, I'm afraid more science!
It has a lot to do with a part of the endocrine system called the really scientific name of 'Gut Brain Liver Axis!' Never heard of it? Nor me!
This refers to the biochemical signalling that takes place between the gastrointestinal tract and the nervous system, which has an important role in healthy brain function. Several studies I have read have shown that the gut microbiota is involved in the regulation of anxiety. The liver plays another important role in blood glucose through the metabolic pathways of glycogenesis and glucogenesis.
Intestinal lipids regulate glucose homeostasis. The role of lipids increases long chain fatty levels in the upper intestine and supress glucose production. This interupts the neural connection between the brain and gut. In combination it can regulate glucose and provide natural treatment of obesity and diabetes.
In other words control the lipids and fats which interfere with the glucose and the connection is restored. I am a believer that this can be achieved by diet alone.

Cortisol is a hormone released into the blood . Almost every cell contains receptors for it. These cells affect controlling blood glucose levels, thus regulating metabolism, acting as an inflammatory, influencing memory formation (another hormone that the brain needs) it also controls salt and water balance, influencing blood pressure.
The secretion of cortisol is controlled by the hypothalmic-pituary-adrenal axis. (Another new one on me!)
Cortisol is known to affect mood swings, anxiety, irritability and depression.
A hormonal response atypical especially cortisol can influence anxiety.
Cortisol is released in response to stress and low blood glucose concentration. It functions to increase blood glucose through glucogenesis to supress the immune system and to aid the metabolism of fat, protein and carbohydrates.
Cortisol levels have differed in connection with abnormal and unbalanced hormones directly aligned to the brain and physiologically stressors as hypoglycaemia.

The glucose we derive from food is mainly used by conversion to energy through metabolism. Glucose supplies almost entirely all the energy needs for the brain, so it's availability influences psychological processes. When glucose is low, psychological processes such as that that requires mental effort, decision making are impaired.
The amount of glucose required for normal brain function is directed by the gut brain liver axis. It is controversial just how much glucose we need to fulfill the needs of the brain..
We are told by doctors, dieticians and health care providers to eat carbs that are slow acting, complex or 'healthy' that help our body's gradual metabolism of food so that the brain doesn't suffer from lack of if we are prone to hypoglycaemia.
But as in some abnormal metabolic conditions , this is dangerous advice in itself.
If certain foods especially carbs, trigger abnormal hormones, then isn't it logical not to trigger the unbalanced hormonal response?

Anxiety can be caused by hypoglycaemia, this I have no doubt, the more I read about our hormonal response and the effects of having too much glucose, cortisol and insulin which all contribute to insulin resistance and obesity. Most of the conditions that are catergorised thus have anxiety as a symptom.
For myself, my trigger for over production of insulin is food intolerance. The insulin swamps the glucose and prevents the sufficient glucose to my brain. (Hypoglycamia) I have hypoglycaemia and food is a threat to my life.
During my period of 'hypo hell' I had insulin resistance which exacerbated the amount of insulin triggered by other symptoms which resulted in a viscous circle of eating (hyper) then hypo. High and low fluctuating blood glucose levels had my brain function scrambled in which anxiety was foremost. it is the most horrible symptom. With the dread and no awareness of what was happening. I just didn't know I had hypoglycaemia being misdiagnosed at that time as T2.
I don't believe there is enough research into how hypos effect our long term health, I have read that the doctors would rather have T1s higher than normal levels.
Glucose, cortisol and insulin are dangerous in a hormonal imbalanced patient.
I have read reports from the mental health hospital teams that 1 in 4 adults suffer from anxiety, there is an epedemic of sick days lost due to anxiety in the States.
I believe that the figure for diabetics is roughly half suffer from the many forms of anxiety.

Since partial diagnosis of Reactive Hypoglycaemia and the start of a very low carb diet, then a four day stay in hospital for a prolonged fasting test. The dread of going into hospital was profound and substantiated, I found my anxiety lifting and the new clear headed feeling welcome and appreciated.
I do really believe my anxiety was created by my food intolerance and my imbalance of hormonal response to eating, through hypoglycaemia , lack of glucose to my brain.
And as such, the treatment was remove these those foods that trigger the hormonal response in my diet. There are certainly a lot more to the reasons so many people have anxiety, maybe it so simple, that what we eat and take for granted as 'healthy' foods, is certainly one of the causes. As in most medical conditions, the quick over reliance on meds is probably making sufferers worse.
I have regained my confidence and got my life back, probably not by design except for treating the hypoglycamia and the symptoms. rather by accident than intention my health is very good mentally and physical.. I have no doubt that others could relieve their anxiety if they knew what their triggers are.

My interest has been piqued because of a family member, who has been diagnosed as General Anxiety disorder, she has been given medication that has helped tremendously and since following my advice about lifestyle even before diagnosis. She is about to undergo counselling as part of her treatment regime.

The more I can understand why people have anxiety when they are affected by other metabolic conditions, the more I will research, the more help I can give her!

I was unaware of so much through my period of 'hypo hell', it is quite astounding to later find out how many different symptoms there was and it is a wonder how we cope with all that's going on when we don't have the right diagnosis and treatment for them!

Please be kind, I value discussion, this is just me putting it out there. If there are inaccuracies and mistakes, I do apologise!

Reactions: fragileangel833

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have to back you up on anxiety being related to hypos!
The 3 periods in my life where my sugars were low Anxiety played a huge part in my health.
The first was when I was 18yrs old. Sexually active and single-ish. Very active, clubbing and an on-off boyfriend. 3 jobs to boot.
2nd was when I met hubby no.2 and was 35yrs old and again very active. Working long hours and shift work I fell ill. Anxiety and depression. Mind u my hormones kicked in properly and I fell pregnant. Best surprise, ever!
3rd period of anxiety is now -(off and on). I'm losing weight slowly and bgs mainly low except for after dinner (evening meal), but working on it.
I only get anxiety with excellent bgs and when I'm very active.
Thank you @nosher8355 for opening my eyes to the triggers. This discovery is going to be very valuable to me.
Once again, thank you for posting and showing me what's been going on.

Munkaroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,does anyone know any good life insurance Company that would take type 1 diabetic?