Diabetes and bariatric surgery: A possible link?

infoman1960

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
While conducting some on-line research, I came across a rather intriguing article examining the possible like between Diabetes and weight-loss bariatric surgery. The story even dared to hint at the C-word: Cure. As I’m sure you all know, bariatric surgery was developed to help the morbidly obese shed excess weight. The surgery isn't for everyone, and it's not without its controversy and critics. At some point, though, it was apparently discovered quite by accident that the surgery was having a rather remarkable and startling effect on Diabetics: Their blood sugar returned to normal, non-Diabetic levels. And we’re not talking months later, after the resulting weight loss. We’re talking about the phenomenon occurring essentially as soon as the patient leaves the operating table. According to the article, while there are some theories out there, why this phenomenon is occurring isn’t exactly known. Wondering if any of you have heard of this or have any additional information on whether this possible link has been confirmed? BTW, in the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that I’m a new blogger who, until now, was unaccustomed to writing about my Diabetes struggles. However, I recently decided that joining a Facebook group and also blogging about my experiences would be a good outlet and something that might help, perhaps even inspire, others. At the same time, I hoped that the sharing and engagement and feedback of others in the same Diabetes boat might be just the sort of encouragement and uplifting that I needed to stay on track with my Diabetes management. In case you’re wondering or even leery, please know that I’m not selling or promoting anything and don’t have any advertising or sponsor links on my blog. Just my own experiences and my own thoughts and words for those who care to read them. Today’s blog entry, my 6th since launching the blog earlier this month, talks about the bariatric surgery story. I welcome any and all feedback. Thanks for letting me share! Have a blessed day, all.
http://damnyoudiabetes.com/

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's been known for some years that bariatric surgery can improve glucose tolerance and in a significant number of cases actually appear toreverse T2.
There is much debate about the mechanism, whether it is to do with the alteration of gut hormones or simply the rapid reduction of calories (leading to a rapid loss of fat around the organs)
This paper discusses the two hypotheses.
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/Supplement_2/S287.full
ProfTaylor at Newcastle believes it is to do with the rapid loss of fat and this is what his research into very low calorie diets and T2 is founded upon. You will find many threads on the 'Newcastle diet' on this forum
and lots of info here
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm