Diabetes and Coronavirus interesting info

Ross101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All, as someone who’s been worried (and confused) about why diabetics were more vulnerable to coronavirus complications I came across this American news report on the situation. It informed me on a lot of things as a type 1 diabetic I didn’t know (I’m sure a lot do) obviously it won’t be helpful to everyone but I thought it was worth a post to help those who it does.
Basically the jist of the report is diabetics who have consistently high blood sugars weaken their immune system (I didn’t know this) also it suggests that diabetes didn’t stand out and where it did it was in older people who had other conditions. Also diabetics are no more at risk At contracting the virus than others without. I will post the link below and hope it helps some people have a better understanding (if just a little) I have been type 1 for 16 years and I never understood why my immune system may be worse than someone who isnt

Reactions: Juicyj

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi All, as someone who’s been worried (and confused) about why diabetics were more vulnerable to coronavirus complications I came across this American news report on the situation.

Thanks for sharing that very interesting report. I have been very frustrated by the reports of diabetics getting worse outcomes and it was really interesting to hear some reasons as to why and how this happens, and also the difference between T1 and T2.

My takeout from this was actually relatively reassuring.

Reactions: Ross101

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cilantro, liver, rudeness, cruelty, impatience, prejudice, hatred. kale
Thanks for sharing this. I also found this video from Glooko extremely informative and reassuring.