Diabetes and Depression?

SmileyB4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, I didn't see there was a second page....

Sunshine, you sound like you're doing really well, keep up the good work! I think it sounds sensible to give up work for a while to get your head around things and get your health on top!

Foreverdelayed, I have no idea what song that comes from I'm afraid! But I do agree with you, I like to keep busy, drives my hubby insane! But if I don't keep busy, I need to eat...... :crazy: Hubby will tell me I need a good meal, but I do love to have the energy!!! It also stops me from thinking too much too.

xxx :wave:

Sunshine_Kisses

Ah, your husband sounds lovely - support is invaluable I think :)

Diagnosed Type 2, 22nd Feb 2013
Hba1c 7.5
Three month trial of managing through diet & exercise.
Low carb, pescatarian
Trying various supplements!

Trinity_32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish
Hiya, I was diagnosed with Diabetes in 1993, and with Depression in 1996. I have been on various forms of medication since '96, mainly anti-depressants and anti-psychotics, and have finally more recently found a good combination of Mirtazapine, Aripiprazole and Propanolol which suits me quite well. Insulin wise I am on Humalog and Lantus. I find the beta blockers mask my hypo symptoms somewhat but it's fairly ok as long as I test regularly. It tends to be more high than low but am trying to manage it. It's a real juggling act, especially when stressed or in pain. (I also have osteoarthritis) X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Dr Zordas

brett said:
Also had and do sufffer from the the dreaded depression and controlled by citalopram. When I discussed it with my diabetic nurse was told in people with diabetes it can affect seratonin levels which helps control mood, anxiety etc. the tablets help the body to either create or absorb extra seratonin (can't remember exactly) to stabilise anxiety, mood. That is what I was told so could be a link with diabetics but have not researched myself yet.

Ditto here, too. But the Citalopram is just awful stuff. Couldn't stand it for more than a couple of months. Doctor never asked why I had stopped taking it - probably couldn't care less. I've suffered from depression for many, many years but only recently (last couple of years) realised what the condition was by reading the symptoms in a book.

It's also amazing how so many doctors think that by 'talking' to someone can clear the problem. They seem to think depression is just being 'sad' and 'unhappy' when in reality it feels like mild concussion with a hang-over. And God help any one who gets in my way :crazy:

Still, smoking one of my 230+ pipes with some Brown Rope helps a great deal - probably something to do with 3,4-dihydroxyphenethylamine :)

anjey

I have neuropathy and depression and also suffer from bad stomachs. I'm going to mention to my doctor about the gut. Im type 1 nearly 36 years and on two lots of antidepressants but not feeling any better. I hope by now your respite has been sorted as you need time for yourself and don't ever feel bad about wanting time out as you will be no good to your daughter if ill. Take care x