Good news
At least your getting a 2nd crack at the nut
and does not seem like computer says NO

Good luck

Bob

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: driving

keith lagdon said:
what is the largest van you can drive with type 2 insulin dependent

All depends on what type of Licence you hold........and when you passed your Test......

A Guide for Drivers with Insulin Treated Diabetes who wish to apply for C1/C1E Entitlement
Drivers may apply for or renew their entitlement to categories C1/C1+E to drive small lorries with or without a trailer.
They may also be eligible to renew category C1E, to drive small lorries with a combined weight of 12 tonnes, if they have passed category CE, although this does not apply if they have previously held CE (102).
They will not be entitled by law to hold Category D1 (Minibuses

Here is a link to the latest DVLA guidance which you can download :

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/medical/ataglance.aspx

djjenko

Hi Everyone,
Its been a while since i last wrote but had a really big battle with DVLA in the past few years, just to recap i am a 40 year old insulin pump diabetic who back in 2003 i lost my driving licence as i 1 didn,t have my docs support but i had to have my right eye removed and extensive laser treatment to my other eye, my dibetes is well controlled but that doesn,t make a differance, i have had many visual field test done, but DVLA state that the last few tests were a fail only by a margin, 78% usually, i drove for 5 years with my one eye with no problems.
I have done a great deal of searching and studying.
I found that America helps its citizens far more than the UK, American Authorities go far more to help a person keep their licence and us Uk Cities are just forgot about and put on the back shelf to gather dust, its not fair and its not right, I even told that i am happy to do a driving assesment and test but all i get is because i am registered they turn my applications down flat, not moaning but my sister was killed in a car accident so i am fully aware of safety laws, i can read number plate at the laws regs, with glasses.
The only place i can drive is private land but there is non where we live.

Also the todays technologies cars will be driving themselves before long, also studies are in place so totally blind people can drive cars but there is no help over here.
I am a very safe driver i drove for a living before my licence was revoked.

When i had my laser treatement, i was never told that laser could result in you losing yr licence.

I have a 2010 model car in which i have had to ask a friend to drive me around but the car hardley gets used., Had the car just over a year, it is a motability car and the millage is only just over 2000 miles done since March 2010.
Having yr driving licence taken away is a real life changing, esp yr independance, work problems etc.
My family don,t drive and the bus service here is nom existant.

Why isn,t there more assistance from authorities for any1 with health issues, Once you say you have a disability you are treat in so differant way, they say this can not be as of the disability discrimination laws but it goes on all the time.

Surely DVLA nd other authorities should work to build on this type of help just like other countries do.

Look on youtube for blind people driving cars, DVLA Take note, One day a totally blind person will drive and you need to catch up.

Thanks
Shaun

JohnoHynes

Hi Folks,

It's been a while since I posted on this thread, way back in March this year. I told you that the DVLA had decided to review my case and they would be sending me for another type of visual fields test.

Well it's been a slow process, mainly waiting for them to get around to replying to me. I eventually got a letter back from them at the end of May, telling me to book an appointment at the hospital for a Goldman Perimiter Test, this I went for on 21st June. I found this test a better experience than the Esterman test. It took longer and the operator gave me a break half way through. Also, should you miss pressing the button you could just tell the operator that you had seen the light. Although the operator of the machine couldn't say whether or not I'd passed the test to DVLA standards she did say that she didn't think it looked bad and that it would be sent to the DVLA that day. I then waited………

At the end of July I called the DVLA to see if they had received the results of the test. I was told it was passed to the medical department on 1st July, but they were only dealing with cases from the middle of May. More waiting!

On Tuesday, 30th August, I called again. The waiting was by now getting me down. I needed to know what was happening. I answered the usual security questions they ask to make sure of your identity and the first thing he said after that was "Your licence was sent out today". I had to ask him to repeat that. He also told me it was on a three year renewal.

He told me they had written to me on 26th, informing me that my licence would be reissued, but I hadn't received that letter, probably delayed because of the bank holiday. I wasn't over bothered about that by now, I was told I could drive immediately even though I hadn't physically received my licence. I of course couldn't as my car needed to be back on the road, but I can wait a few more days until that is all sorted out.

Today, Thursday 1st September, a letter from the DVLA arrive through my door. I presumed it would be the letter telling me that my licence was being reissued. It wasn't, it was my driving licence. Up to the point of writing this, I still haven't received a letter telling me that I am getting it back. Good old DVLA.

Although this has been a long process, I'm glad I persevered with it. I hope this will also give hope to those of you who also feel you have lost your licence unjustly. There have been some changes to the rules which means that people with stabilised retinopathy may be able to get their licence back under the "Exceptional Cases" rules, which hitherto we had been excluded from. I don't think I have had mine returned under these rules, it would appear that the Goldman Perimeter test showed that my vision was up to the required standard. There are other options out there, it's just being able to access them that can be the problem. Also, for all those who are fighting their cases, be prepared to wait.

And on a final note, don't let us forget that the risk of damage to our eyes, and other complications that diabetes can cause, can be greatly reduced by keeping good control of our glucose levels. Our medical professionals can only do so much for us, the rest is up to us to manage our diabetes with the medications and advice given to us by our health professionals.

Good luck to all of you out there. I'd be interested to hear your comments on this matter.

John

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good news John on the license front!

I have to take a field vision test also due to past laser treatment when I was diagnosed with diabetic retinopathy, I had my license renewed again 2 months ago for a 3 year period, the Optician who conducted the test told me straight away I'd passed the test but said the DVLA would decide and write to me in due course.

Your right about good control especially were the eyes are concerned.

Nigel

lizmorrison

Irishsmurfy said:
Hi all

My husband is an insulin reliant diabetic since the age of 2 (on pump treatment for the past 28 years). He had laser treatment on both eyes 28 years ago and has regular checkups at the various diabetic clinics. (He's 46 now).

He has, up until now, always held a 3 year renewable licence. This February his licence was up for renewal again - but unfortunately he failed the visual field eye test. He has always had trouble with the field of vision test as it involves flashing lights on a board - and as a result of his laser treatment this is an ongoing problem for him. When we got the letter from the DVLA we were shellshocked - no driving will possibly mean no job soon as he is self-employed :( . Since the letter arrived in March I've been taking time off my job to drive him to wherever he needs to get to, but obviously this can't be a long term solution or I'll need to give up work completely. Public transport isn't really an option either as he has so much stuff he needs to bring with him. He apparently missed 2 clusters of lights in the test so obviously this was a fail.

The DVLA said we could get a 2nd test done at the opticians - which we did. The lady in the opticians said he failed to see 1 cluster of lights this time - but apparently 2 sets is a fail but 1 set can be acceptable?? We sent off the results to the DVLA again - but today we've heard back that they are still revoking his licence based on his test results. The strange thing we found was that the optician even said to us that his eyesight itself had actually improved in the past year - and as such his prescription for glasses has been reduced.

Is there any point in taking this to a magistrates court for a final decision (especially as it affects his life to such a degree) or do we need to give up now? He hasn't had any driving accidents in the past 5 years and doesn't drive at night. Is there any possibility of getting a dawn to dusk licence - or do you advise us to just accept it (as you can imagine its very difficult!!).

I'd love to know if anyone has ever had a successful outcome of this going to the magistrates court - or if I'm just grasping at straws.

Thanks in advance.
Hi my name is Elizabeth type 1 diabetic have been for 39 years I have had to have laser treatment in both eyes so this meant I had to do a field vision tesd I missed 10 points at the bottom and then submitted the results to DVLA I waited 7 weeks and was really worried about my drivcin g licence, but thank goodness I was informed I co0uld keep it. I just want to reassure other diabetics that I honestly thought I would lose the licence so I just wanted to give hope to others as I know how it feels to wait for the results have faith and I wish all diabetics out there to look after yourselves if I had I would probably not have had to have the laser treatment, but thank goodness we have the treatment or else blindness would be the outcome. God bless you all, Liz xx