1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Sheffield University are conducting a study on food and activity logging among people with type 2 diabetes. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetes and Kidney disease

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by Motherhen2014, Feb 9, 2017.

1. gangadharan_nair

gangadharan_nair Type 2 · Member

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. sin85

sin85 Type 1 · Member

Hi can I ask you, what where your symptoms when you started having trouble with your kidneys? I am type1 and have it 13years lately I've been getting lots of kidney infections(3 since January) the last one cleared last week but I have been so thirsty lately and have a funny taste in my mouth. My hba1c is 7.7 but up to recently it had been over 8. I'm waiting on a kidney scan but my doctor says there's no sign of kidney issues in my blood test but I have a lot of pain in my back and under my ribs, I think this is the start of some kidney damage. Just wondering what symptoms did you have to begin with?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Motherhen2014

Motherhen2014 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for this I am 70 this December and I am obiese, I have disabilities including mobility and cannot exercise,I took. myself off or red meats a couple of years ago, I only eat chicken except when I have breakfast out.
    I had a scan for bladder problems and they scanned my kidneys and said they were smaller, I drink no added sugar fruit juice regularly, my doctor says my kidneys are under a lot of strain, he will not give me testing strips even though I have asked for them he says my diet is fine but I need to lose weight, which is hard for me, I am thinking of going to the aqua pool (don't know if that is the right term for it) but it is the warm pool which will hopefully help me to move better and lose weight.
    When you say control protein do you mean having little of it. I very rarely have cheese, eggs, bacon, will sometimes have chips out but not often, but will have Jacket potato.

He has taken me off Metlformin and has kept me on a byetta injection which has helped me lose weight while on Metformin but now I am finding it harder. I have no way of knowing what my blood sugar is as I can not test it, but it seems I will have to buy my own testing strips.

I am grateful for your post as it helps to get information from someone like yourself, thank you so much.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sheepie123

sheepie123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I dont know about this - The more protein on a LCHF Diet the harder kidneys have to work to remove it. Meaning that you could get a false positive.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Fruit juice contains fructose, a sugar, and quite a lot of it, so you do need to check on the amounts in various foods to see what is safe.
    I cannot eat potatoes in any form without a high spike, as they contain starch, which is digested to form glucose, so I would really advise that you do get a meter and test your levels after eating so you can see which foods are safe for you to eat, and which cause spikes over 2 whole numbers (in mmol/l) which can cause damage. There are meters which do not cost a lot to use, as the strips are quite cheap and can be reduced with discount codes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. kentish maid

kentish maid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

my doctor told me a few years ago that I had chronic kidney failure and not to take anything for pain but panadols I had a kidney scan showed my kidneys are very small when I saw my diabetic nurse this year I asked her about my kidney function she said it was very good for a women of my age but she is very reluctant to give us our blood results as she thinks it would only worry us.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ymdawd

Ymdawd Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You have an absolute right to know your results. Make a point of asking.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Motherhen2014

Thank you for your reply.I am in hospital at the moment after having a sepsis shock due to cellilitus.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  9. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

T1D for 45 years and 18 months(ish) ago was diagnosed stage 4CKD. Have never really had control over my diabetes, even after loosing the sight in my left eye! but being diagnosed with CKD has really altered my life, I am now 95% in control of it.....WOW it has taken 44 years to do that :) imagine what I will be like when i am 90 years old :) :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Motherhen2014

Hello porl69 thank you for your reply.I am 70 and have had diabetes since 2004 was doing all the wrong things till this last four years after I lost my partner suddenly.I still have problems with sugar cravings but anything like chocolate and sweets I never but only indulge at Christmas a little.But I love my food and dont have many taste buds anymore so like spicy foods or cover meals in sauce to have taste.I am trying very hard to have very small portions.But since Sepsis am finding it really hard to shed weight.Love coming here to see other people's messages it does help to know we are not alone.

• Like Like x 2
  11. SueSmith

SueSmith Type 2 · Member

You say that the Low Carb Programme is free - but they are asking me for £29.99, or provide a code. Is there a code available for this?

12. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

It used to be free, but more recently they have made it subscription only, which is sad.

13. leahkian

leahkian · Well-Known Member

Motherhen2014 i am post transplant which i had both kidney and pancreas done at the same time, they found my kidneys were failing when i was 21 and said i would need a transplant by the time i was 30. I was in bits they put me on statin's and asprin to keep mt BP down and to protect my heart. I hit 30 and had about 20% renal function but then for the next 7 years it just stayed around the same level, the doctors could not explain this and said i was a one off ( not the first time a doctor has said that). As i was having trouble with my diabetes at my local hospital i went to see a consultant at Newcastle and it was like seeing the light at the end of a tunnel. He got my diabetes sorted but the doctors at my local hospital were not sending him any letters about my renal function, i new that when i needed a transplant it would be done at Newcastle and the consultant i was seeing was part of the transplant team. So i changed all my care to Newcastle which is about 30-40 mins away but the care and trust i had in the doctors there was worth the travel. We had a meeting with all the doctors who would be involved in my transplant and the out come was to do a SPK. In april 2015 i got the call there was a match for me I went through a 7 hour op and the transplant went well but other problems came to light but i am still here to see my kids grow up. If you are in the early stages of renal failure it will only show up when the kidneys are working below 50% and with new research being done all the time they may be able to keep your renal function at a steady rate. Hope everything goes well for you

• Like Like x 3
  14. J E T 1 9 7 6

J E T 1 9 7 6 Type 1 · Member

Hi there , im a type one diabetic and I have been diagnosed for just over 38 years ,but ten years ago I was told that my kidneys were at level 4 kidney failure and to help me would I be intrested in talking to someone about a transplant ?so I said yes , I went to the appointment to find out that it was to transplant a set of kidneys and a pancreas as a set ,so I signed the forms to set up the procedure,I was told if I had any problems to contact the transplant nurse who was in charge of me up until I went for the operation ,just over a year went by when I got the phone call to go in ,so nerves on edge I got to the hospital ,all my blood matching came back ok so they took me to theatre,
    16 hours later I was bought round in the recovery room ,but to be told that they had only done a pancreas transplant !instead of the full set as they thought that with the pancreas in place it would settle my kidneys down a bit ,but to my surprise My Creating function had dropped in half and I didn’t have an insulin drip attached to me ,only pain management and saline ,but slowly I got better with my Creating down at 150% ,but never had to inject insulin to control my diabetics since ,I do suffer hypos & I will also suffer all the problems that comes with Type1 diabetics like Neuropathy ,gastroperises’ ,bleeding at the back of the eyes right through to calcified arteries in the legs & could end up loosing my legs at some point ,yes there are things out there to help the problem but you will still suffer long term affects due to the diabetes

15. J E T 1 9 7 6

J E T 1 9 7 6 Type 1 · Member

#35 J E T 1 9 7 6, Dec 21, 2017 at 11:47 AM
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  16. Motherhen2014

Thank you so much for your replies My kidney function went down to 30 in August I had a urine infection which I took just three antibiot8cs from cystitis I had on the Day by Sunday Cystitus had gone, this was after I had a bad fall in the garden.My leg started swelling and I did not feel well but thought it was due to fall.
    Then on the following Thursday I was shaking badly and collapsed but not before I phoned my daughter.I had fallen on floor and couldn't get up.I was suffering sepsis shock due to urine infection luckily my neighbour and daughter got there quickly.I was in hospitAl for three weeks and in that time I was eating very small meals.My kidneys went back to 41. My thinking is that smaller meals had a good result on my kidneys.
    I know I was very lucky to get help so quickly thankful for rapid response they were wonderful.
    So your replies have made me feel better and I am certainly going to do something about being more responsible about my eating.
    Many thanks for your replies as I am writing on 24tg December please have a wonderful Christmas. Xxx

17. fairy108_

fairy108_ Type 2 · Newbie

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook