Diabetes and MJ...

msmachina

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
...I have a medical prescription for MJ.
it helps with me sleep and appetite
My therapist is okay with it, but my doctor doesn't like any kind of smoking .

So whenever i try and ask her if theres any kind of like between my smoking and diabetes she says i should quit for my health but won't really discuss the topic with me which makes me sad but i like her so much and we get along on all levels save this one.

so i was hoping maybe some people here had some knowledge about this?

Thanks for the help and thanks for letting me join the group! :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well as nicotine according to studies raises blood sugar, if you are smoking MJ with tobacco there will be a detrimental affect on blood sugar levels.
As to any other linkage I don't know.

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know about impact on blood sugars (honestly I've seen all sorts of claims in both directions but not investigated whether there is good evidence behind any); however you might consider vaping or edibles to avoid the smoke-related ill health effects.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Smoking and diabetes are both risk factors for coronary heart disease, strokes and high blood pressure to name a few. So
smoking as a diabetic will double your already high risk for these.
It's worth doing some research on google to find out the exact risks... there are loads of journal articles out there.

As far as MJ is concerned, have you thought about making tea? I have never been a smoker, but in my early 20's may have been known to dabble in the occasional bit of weed (I had severe insomnia, it helped). I used to make a tea by putting the buds in an tea infuser and putting some fruit tea in with it to make it more palatable.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Vaping will not help the active ingredient that affects blood sugar is the Nicotine that has been shown by a recent study.

though you can buy an E liquid that contains MJ extracts. Or so I've been told. :angelic: