diabetes and other co-morbidities with COVID-19

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I agree I thought their good control was fairly unambitious.

My assumption regarding hypoglycaemia was the same old one that excellent hb1ac’s are assumed to have come about via lots of hypos rather than tight control for those on glucose lowering medications as many out there (unlike us enlightened few), especially as they age, are on such meds for the progressive disease they have
You may wish to read this preliminary report of a small sample from the USA. My personal conclusion - everyone's main aim should be to reduce the risk of a cytokine storm, i.e., overreactive immune response - regardless of whether T1 or T2, worse inflammatory state correlates with higher blood sugars. Tighter control is key - but a huge challenge for ICUs to support if insulin dependent diabetics get admitted. :( Pragmatically, especially if you are still hypo aware, try and get your HBAC1 as close to normal as possible. Of course, test, test, test!

https://glytecsystems.com/wp-conten...ical-Outcomes-of-Covid-19-Patients.FINAL_.pdf

Reactions: JohnEGreen

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This study doesn’t appear to differentiate between type 1 and 2. And whilst hyperglycaemia is a factor in both the physiology of the two conditions are quite different.

The other main problem with these studies in my opinion is that it gives no indication of the state of control prior to disease/admission. Obviously those that once in hospital controlled bgl gives better outcomes but to what extent this correspond to pre admission control

Reactions: oldgreymare

Jamie H

Yea pretty much what I have been grappling with... surely good control prior to admission (even if control is not within range once admitted) would ensure less existing complications (including issues with immune system).

The other issue I would like more information on whether well controlled diabetes will effect how serious your infection is to begin with or does it only start to become an issue once its established you have serious case of Covid? ie can a lot of Covid cases still be mild in diabetics with close to optimal control.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Max68

I see articles regarding the possibility of Vitamin D, or a lack of it, playing a role in the severity of Covid symptoms are starting to gather pace. Dr John Campbell whose video is at the start of the thread has commented on this possibility for some time. To be honest I think it has possibilities. I used to get a lot of colds, maybe three or four a year and then one day a routine blood test showed up a lack of Vitamin D. Been on supplements (one a day) ever since and I think I have had one, maybe two colds a year since. However I might well have started using a debit card to pay for things more rather than using dirty disease ridden cash so you never know, but I'm sure this Vitamin D story has legs in it.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I think there is in all probability a long long list of things that may contribute or ameliorate the severity of this disease and most of them probably will or do effect the outcomes people experience.

It's going to be a long time before any in depth understanding of the complexities of this virus is gained.