Diabetes and Tennis

dkp1016

I am a 72 year old Female and have diabetes for 22 years. I have been playing recreational tennis for about 10-12 years regularly (2-3 times a week). I am on Lantus, long term insulin (for about 4 years) and Glimipiride and Metformin. My A1c is in the range of 7.5-8. Recently, I have tendency for low sugar as low as 55-60 if I take more insulin. At my doctor's insistance, I tried short term insulin shots and my sugar was completely out of control either too high or too low.
I discontinued short term insulin.
Recently, after reading the article about Diabetes and tennis, I have noticed that my sugar is high in 200-250 range after playing 60-90 minutes of tennis and it does not come down. I need to understand how to better manage my sugar without short term insulin shots

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @dkp1016 :)

Exercise can be a tricky one to manage, cycling can drop me like a ton of bricks but other high intensity exercise can leave me high for hours afterwards, it's not a one size fits all though as we are all different. If i am running high after exercise then I have to take quick acting insulin to correct the high, there is no other way of doing this unless I wanted to carry on exercising for another couple of hours afterwards waiting for it to come down. You can manage quick acting insulin as long as your monitoring it, but only trial and error will confirm the best way for you as an individual to manage it. Just ensure you have quick acting glucose to hand and if you do go low then decrease your correction until you find the right dose to manage it.

This site is a useful resource for those wishing to exercise: http://www.runsweet.com/