Diabetes and tiredness

JohnCopus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Does anyone else feel really tired and fatigued even though your levels and diabetes are controlled any advice?

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi JohnCopus
you need to define levels a bit more to be able to know if diabetes related or not

what is your latest HbA1c ?
what is your morning fasting reading ?
How high do you normally spike post meal ?

i have felt shattered at the end of a working week which is nothing to do with my diabetes
so a bit more info needed :)

JohnCopus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My last HBA1C was 7 my morning reading is normally about 6 and after meals I can spike up to about 10 at most depending on what I have eaten

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
HBa1c is ok as is fasting and post spike so i would be looking outside the diabetes envelope

type 1 or 2 ?
asking so as to know who to tag to possibly assist on this -- i admit to not knowing and do not wish to give bad advice

cheers

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ok thanks for that
tagging @catherinecherub , @WeeFergus . @graj0
see if they may be able to assist on this one - not my area of speciality
might be a wait so sit tight for some assistance:)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
no probs -- Diabetes can be so difficult to define as the symptoms can be varied once in control as you are-- I feel tired with low bloods ( being a type 1) -- must admit I did not ask what meds you on -- perhaps you getting hypos ?????

JohnCopus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When I have hypos I feel really shaky don't really get tired off them I'm on metformin and glameperide tablets and for some reason I feel constantly tired even though some nights I get like 12 hours sleep

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did you have your thyroid checked? It might be underactive

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was the same but now its under active again.ive started eating fish/coconut oil and fish oil supplements (all aparently good for thyroid) and feeling a bit better now.
Visit your gb and ask for tests like vitamin d or b

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Hi there @JohnCopus. I'm not really sure why I've been tagged as I'm fairly new to all this (diagnosed in mid-January) and I'm really just following the advice on this forum to cut my carbs and move to full fat foods (yoghurt etc.). I was 53 when diagnosed and 42 at my first review (end of April) so the change in diet certainly worked for me and I'm still ' a work in progress'. However, although we have similar fasting readings I've never been as high as 10 after eating since I started cutting out carbs. That seems too high to me and I would try to find out what was in the meal that caused such a reading. I don't feel tired all the time and certainly the diet change has given me more energy than I had prior to my diagnosis. I'm afraid I'm not much help to you but if you're eating low carb I think the problem may lie elsewhere and you need to mention it to your doctor. Perhaps thyroid, perhaps low vitamins or minerals, perhaps something else.