diabetes denial-help

K

Kat100

Digestive or rich tea...Marie,s are even lower on sugar and maybe carbs...I look at the sugars still ...

Making shortbread biscuits with rice flour and sweetener is something to think about in the future....

Meanwhile, big welcome to you jackiesmith, it is such early days for you, so much to think about, explore what will work for you, and so much information to consider....take it slowly .....but seek lots of support and much as you need.....

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I am beginning to think I have gone over the top. I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. Nothing else. I was a 20 stone glutton. (ish).
I have lost over 3 stone in 3 months but was beginning to feel rubbish. Listening to you guys you eat biscuits and things.
is it different for me being unmedicated?

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
We never have biscuits in the house so can't nibble on them. Nice though they are remove them from you shopping list
I can't do that because the only way to assuage my teenage sons' voracious appetites is to add carbs to the meat and two veg, so I concentrate on the warm feeling of virtuous martyrdom that spurning biscuits (and pasta, bread, potatoes, etc) while all around me scoff them down gives me ;)

Kate

Reactions: 2 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jackie

I found this site 3.5 weeks ago and on the first day I decided to go LCHF after reading the recommendations here. I've not had a slice of bread (my biggest weakness), rice, pasta, potatoes, bananas, tropical fruits, cakes, chocolate or biscuits since that first day which is a record for me. I'm not known for my willpower when it comes to food!

Everything everyone else has said here is true. You really don't miss the bad/carbs and I can't believe that I still have shortbread biscuits in a tin in my cupboard from when I bought them 4 weeks ago. I haven't been tempted to touch a single one.

This is the only eating plan I've ever felt totally commited to and really believe works. You only have to read other peoples stories about weight loss, lowering bs and feeling better to inspire and encourage you.

I'm still waiting to see some weight loss, but I have seen my bs slowly coming down and my energy levels rising and brain fog lifting, so I know something is working.

It does take a while to get your head around things and you also have to sift the wrong information to find the right information. Everything will click eventually. Keep reading, and keep testing your bloods. When you have facts in front of you, it will give you the incentive to embrace a new way of eating and living.

Have you tried 9 bars for snacking on? They are a great occasional treat with a cup of tea or coffee and are low carb.

You've found this site for a reason. It won't let you down. Keep reading and let everything sink in. Ask as many questions as you needs. Folk are so friendly here and very quick to respond with sensible, tried and tested answers.

Good luck. Today is the first day of the new you!

Reactions: 4 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Diana
, I was under the impression snacking was out.
Takes me the time between meals to settle down.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@this is too difficult - Reading your original thread, you say you have noticed a real difference in the way you feel and in your psoriasis, and the readings on there appear to show great progress.

If you are satisfied by your meals, do you need to snack?

The science tells us we will achieve our biggest improvements the earlier we take control of our condition, so in a similar situation to yours I chose to strictly no-snack (although that was no terrific hardship, to be honest), until I was satisfied I had made the progress I set out to achieve. Having reached non-diabetic scores, I choose to stay a snack-free zone, at least for now. I am adding more foods to my meals, but am not complicating anything by eating in between.

We're all different, but,please try to keep thinking about that early action.

I wish I cld find the link to the science, but for now it eludes me.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jackie
Everything that I use to love at home is no longer there, no energy drinks, no chocolates, no crisps. instead I have packets and packets of tomatoes. celery and cottage cheese and Philadelphia light which is not bad. try it and welcome once again

I'd suggest that you swap your cottage cheese for cream cheese and the Philly Lite for the Philadelphia Original - they are better for you as you need to replace the carbohydrates you're no longer eating with some fat. But what ever you do read the food labels and look at both carbohydrate and sugar content and always go for the lower carbs and higher fat & protein options.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diana
, I was under the impression snacking was out.
Takes me the time between meals to settle down.

Yes, I agree but my reply was to @jackiesmith who doesn't yet seem to have started LCHF and was asking for help.

Posters on other threads often talk about cheese and nuts they carry with them to snack on. Jackie mentioned her sweet tooth and asked how to come off eating a packet of biscuits at a time

While my own conversion to LCHF was instant, I think we need to accept that others may convert more gradually and perhaps a healthy snack helps during the transition.

Reactions: 3 people

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd suggest that you swap your cottage cheese for cream cheese and the Philly Lite for the Philadelphia Original - they are better for you as you need to replace the carbohydrates you're no longer eating with some fat. But what ever you do read the food labels and look at both carbohydrate and sugar content and always go for the lower carbs and higher fat & protein options
I generally avoid anything labelled "lite", as all too often it turns out to mean "higher carb".

Kate

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am beginning to think I have gone over the top. I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. Nothing else. I was a 20 stone glutton. (ish).
I have lost over 3 stone in 3 months but was beginning to feel rubbish. Listening to you guys you eat biscuits and things.
is it different for me being unmedicated?

Yes, I think it is, in some ways. In others, it is much easier. I am currently un medicated, and I would hate the constant testing, endless carb counting, jabs and calculations that come with a lot of medication!

Do you have a meter? In my opinion it is the only way to gauge whether that biscuit is a possibility, or not.

I react badly (with ridiculously out of proportion highs) to wheat flour. But I can inhale rolled oats and almond flour. So I consider a no sugar flapjack or almond biscuit perfectly acceptable.

Re the whole snacking thing... I try not to, but if I get too hungry, or too low blood glucose, I will fall face first into the nearest cream cake. Totally out of control carb binging gluttony. So I try to eat something low sugar instead of high carb junk before the ravening craving strikes.

If that means the odd snack, oh dear, what torture... :happy:

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I have heard people at work talking about belvia breakfast biscuits. Never seen one so no idea. Anyone know?

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I would avoid Belvita Breakfast Biscuits l used to love them pre t2 but they are packed with carbs for instant energy.

As for chocolate Lindt 90% 4g carbs/40g my treat l have 2 squares at a time
If you are going low carb get the book Carbs and Cals not sure what the phone app is like but get the full size not pocket if you get the book.
Carbs wise aim for food that says 5gcarbs/100g
Lot of folks like the Lidyl yogurt has about 3g/100g but joy of joys l liked it and the **** had to go and spike me l am not a happy puppy over it.
I love frozen (mixed) berries have a small pot at lunch with single cream and often at dinner as well
Coffee 3 teaspoons of fresh cream in not milk.
Be careful with any juices good chance they will spike you and tomatoes are quite high carb so keep tight checks try within an hour and an hr testing post drinking it.