Diabetes disqualifies you from being a parent

dxr.inagh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monmouth Social Services (Wales, UK) are now starting to indicate that individuals with type 1 diabetes are not suitable as parents.

My daughter in law is currently being persecuted by Monmouth SS over an alleged abuse case. It is complete fantasy but they are now trying to use her diabetes against her to disqualify her from caring for her new son to further their case for forced adoption.

If that is carried to its logical conclusion then every diabetic on the planet can never be a parent or adopt or be involved with children.

Do you have any comments?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
About 18 years ago we looked at adopting and I wasnt ruled out. We didnt go ahead though.

We werent ruled our in Carmarthen for Adult Placement and did this in 2010. SA had interpreted details about the placement person wrongly and poor chap arrived to us from care homes previously with dire urine burn sores that also SS failed to even be aware of. After getting person scanned and admitted in to hospital and being cathetrised etc I did rmake complaints and had to refuse to have person back.. it was all an experience that I would never repeat again.

There is a lady on this forum that is T1 and went abroad to adopt.

Personally I think people with T1 diabetes should not be discriminated against because we genuinely have awareness of how illness and problems can affect life..

dxr.inagh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They are awful..... they took my grand son at 4 weeks old and made the parents jump through hoops of fire. About the only thing they have left is her T1 and they are using that. Grand son is now over 5 months old..... despicable evil people

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a help group on facebook for cases such as these. I joined as my daughter was facing losing her children due to the man she was with and the lifestyle she was following

They were very good with me and if you want the address feel free to message me and I will pass it on.

They suggested a solicitor to me and I managed to get my daughter to instruct one and since then they have backed off a bit. I dont think they realised that people power could help.

I wish you luck

dxr.inagh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is a help group on facebook for cases such as these. I joined as my daughter was facing losing her children due to the man she was with and the lifestyle she was following

They were very good with me and if you want the address feel free to message me and I will pass it on.

They suggested a solicitor to me and I managed to get my daughter to instruct one and since then they have backed off a bit. I dont think they realised that people power could help.

I wish you luck

Hi .... the Facebook help group could be useful.... can you please let me know?

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Monmouth Social Services (Wales, UK) are now starting to indicate that individuals with type 1 diabetes are not suitable as parents.

My daughter in law is currently being persecuted by Monmouth SS over an alleged abuse case. It is complete fantasy but they are now trying to use her diabetes against her to disqualify her from caring for her new son to further their case for forced adoption.

If that is carried to its logical conclusion then every diabetic on the planet can never be a parent or adopt or be involved with children.

That is racist imo. If I was in their government I would reverse that and we'd be happy

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is racist imo. If I was in their government I would reverse that and we'd be happy
Hardly racist; diabetes affects all races (though some have a greater tendency to getting it than others).

Disability discrimination, possibly - but only possibly.

To the OP: without knowing any of the detail of your daughter-in-law's situation (which is none of our business anyway) it's difficult to comment. As already said, you need support from others in the same situation, which the Facebook group can hopefully provide, and advice from a legal expert who can fight your corner, and none of us on here qualifies as that. All I would say is that such a person will be very expensive, unless they're prepared to do it on a pro bono basis and that, in the first instance, it might be worth approaching Citizens' Advice who can sometimes offer a brief free consultation with a solicitor, which might clarify whether or not your d-i-l has a realistic chance of getting her child back. Social Services don't generally take children away from their homes on a whim or out of spite although undoubtedly they can, and do, make the wrong decisions from time to time. Their over-riding priority in all cases is (or should be) the welfare of the child, and all other considerations take second place to that.

I wish you good luck.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is not allowed. Diabetics should find workarounds instead of not being allowed to be parents!!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding

What a load of ........
My daughter started in the womb 30 years before a Pancreas transplant released me from Type 1 Which I had already dealt with for 24 years! Some people don't deserve the employment they are blessed with. I now have a delightful six-year-old granddaughter. The very best of luck to your family