Diabetes, Fibromyalgia and Restless Legs - help

JanWilson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Looking to see if anyone has had similar experience. I am Insulin dependent T2 diabetic and also have Fibromyalgia. Have had mild restless legs for a few years managed using amitriptyline. Last August I had surgery for a frozen shoulder and had an absolute nightmare since. 3 months post surgery were spent going from painkiller to painkiller to find something that worked (had been on dihydrocodeine prior to surgery for the fibro but that no longer cut it). Tried so many painkillers until consultant said needed something neural and was put on gabapentin. That finally got on top of the shoulder pain and also helped the fibro pain.
Pre surgery hba1c had been brought down to around 55mmol since getting the Libre. It is now completely out of control, am taking ridiculous amounts of insulin and 1 year later am up at 72mmol. Appointment Sept with hospital diabetic team. Diet is better, not doing anything any different so don't understand the increase other than related to everything else going on.
I have terrible leg pains, restless legs are a nightmare (currently sitting at 2am as have been jumping since 7pm and can't settle so no point going to bed), regular cramps in legs, feet, ankles.
Gaining weight, bloated.
Constant fatigue.
Just been treated for high blood pressure.
Just finished course of iron tablets as identified as low iron (but not aneamic).
A&E last week while on holiday said possible lymphoedema and possible circulation issues starting.
No loss of feeling in feet / toes.
I'm going through menopause currently and wonder if that can be related.
Suggested to GP today hormones, vitamins, cortisol level but she just wasn't interested. Said all diabetes related and wait till I'm seen by hospital.
Had been on ropinorole for the restless legs which did help but left me completely comatose about 1 hour after taking it. Was told today to increase gabapentin in the evening to 600mg so on 1200mg per day in total and to stop the ropinorole.

Has anyone found anything natural that helps restless legs / leg pains. Anyone had similar experience? Left the GP today feeling like the visit was a complete waste of time - just wanted me out the door in the 10 mins and wasn't interested in listening to everything that was going on. Only wanted to focus on the 1 thing causing me biggest problem.

Can't help feel we're treating (trying to) symptoms not causes.

Interested to hear of anyone else's experience.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @JanWilson and welcome to the forums, which are pretty quiet at the moment because the European crowd are mostly in bed.

I don't lnow the answer to your question but there are a lot of threads on these forums for you to look at while you wait for replies. The ones below are the ones on restless legs but there are also plenty on fibromyalgia.

I assume you've googled the various meds you are on and checked to see if they can cause hyperglycemia?

My other thought is that if your conditions are making exercise harder then that probably isn't helping your blood sugars. And high blood sugars can impact on weight gain....

And there are plenty of women here who will agree that hormones can effect blood sugars.

I think a possible issue here is that your GP has neither the time or the expert knowledge to consider all your symptoms together. (I certainly don't expect my GP to handle my T1 issues, and they sound significantly less complicated than your condition(s) )

Hopefully you'll get some insight from other posters on this forum. I would encourage you not to give up, but to see whether there is anything you can do to help yourself while you wait for input from the hospital team.

Diet is better, not doing anything any different so don't understand the increase other than related to everything else going on.
What sort of diet are you eating? The definition of "better" can vary widely. Cutting carbs has helped a lot of T2s here but you have to be careful with that if you are injecting insulin.....

Good luck

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
Looking to see if anyone has had similar experience. I am Insulin dependent T2 diabetic and also have Fibromyalgia. Have had mild restless legs for a few years managed using amitriptyline. Last August I had surgery for a frozen shoulder and had an absolute nightmare since. 3 months post surgery were spent going from painkiller to painkiller to find something that worked (had been on dihydrocodeine prior to surgery for the fibro but that no longer cut it). Tried so many painkillers until consultant said needed something neural and was put on gabapentin. That finally got on top of the shoulder pain and also helped the fibro pain.
Pre surgery hba1c had been brought down to around 55mmol since getting the Libre. It is now completely out of control, am taking ridiculous amounts of insulin and 1 year later am up at 72mmol. Appointment Sept with hospital diabetic team. Diet is better, not doing anything any different so don't understand the increase other than related to everything else going on.
I have terrible leg pains, restless legs are a nightmare (currently sitting at 2am as have been jumping since 7pm and can't settle so no point going to bed), regular cramps in legs, feet, ankles.
Gaining weight, bloated.
Constant fatigue.
Just been treated for high blood pressure.
Just finished course of iron tablets as identified as low iron (but not aneamic).
A&E last week while on holiday said possible lymphoedema and possible circulation issues starting.
No loss of feeling in feet / toes.
I'm going through menopause currently and wonder if that can be related.
Suggested to GP today hormones, vitamins, cortisol level but she just wasn't interested. Said all diabetes related and wait till I'm seen by hospital.
Had been on ropinorole for the restless legs which did help but left me completely comatose about 1 hour after taking it. Was told today to increase gabapentin in the evening to 600mg so on 1200mg per day in total and to stop the ropinorole.

Has anyone found anything natural that helps restless legs / leg pains. Anyone had similar experience? Left the GP today feeling like the visit was a complete waste of time - just wanted me out the door in the 10 mins and wasn't interested in listening to everything that was going on. Only wanted to focus on the 1 thing causing me biggest problem.

Can't help feel we're treating (trying to) symptoms not causes.

Interested to hear of anyone else's experience.
Hiya, I am also type 2 with Fibromyalgia and menopausal (life is a ***** ), I think your weight gain and bloating is the gabapentin it is a common side affect of that medication sadly, didn't work for me.

I saw a Neurologist recently for a tremor in.my arm (turns out also fibro related) and he suggested vit D and magnesium tablets, I have to say that the RLS has been better since taking them. I also use Body Shop peppermint leg reviving gel when it is really bad and it seems to sooth it.

A lot of your symptoms sound like the fibromyalgia, especially the exhaustion. With the diabetes it doesn't take much to affect your blood sugars if your body is struggling to cope with the fibro/meno symptoms and fatigue, it pushes your bloods up.

Are you on anything for the meno? I am on Everoll patches which have helped a bit.

Gentle exercise, walking and yoga can sometimes help both the fibro and high bloods. Lots of fluids and low carb as much as possible.

Good luck and sending gentle hugs x

Reactions: Hopeful34