Diabetes in 20’s

Kels*

Having diabetes for now over 10 years diagnosed age 15 , now just turned 26 and starting to worry about complications, planning for a family , health in general but can’t seem to control my diabetes . Wonder if any one similar age has been or going through this

Reactions: ChuckJones

AlexD14

I'm 27 and was diagnosed in June. I find it a struggle to control my diabetes too, I think it's important to remember that we're trying to replicate what our bodies should do automatically and unconsciously via MDI. It'll never be perfect, all we can do is try our best. The main thing is not to give up on trying to control our BGL's, that is when things can rapidly become dangerous.

Have you had much communication with your diabetes team over your control? From what I gather, ever know and again people experience changes in their insulin sensitivity and this will change how much they need to take with meals and long-lasting insulin. How you tried doing a bit of a reset to make sure the ratios you're using are still right for you?

Kels*

I'm 27 and was diagnosed in June. I find it a struggle to control my diabetes too, I think it's important to remember that we're trying to replicate what our bodies should do automatically and unconsciously via MDI. It'll never be perfect, all we can do is try our best. The main thing is not to give up on trying to control our BGL's, that is when things can rapidly become dangerous.

Have you had much communication with your diabetes team over your control? From what I gather, ever know and again people experience changes in their insulin sensitivity and this will change how much they need to take with meals and long-lasting insulin. How you tried doing a bit of a reset to make sure the ratios you're using are still right for you?

Hi thank you for the reply. I have been in touch with my diabetes care team last week and explained how bad things have gotten. I am in process of seeing what my insulin ratio is as I have totally lost control , I have hit a point in my life now that I am more worried about my health than being selfish and lazy with not doing my insulin properly ! It is hard I have had diabetes for 11 years now and it doesn’t get easier as not one day is the same . Hopefully I can start to get hold of it again and get my health back on track , thank you for you message!

AlexD14

Hi thank you for the reply. I have been in touch with my diabetes care team last week and explained how bad things have gotten. I am in process of seeing what my insulin ratio is as I have totally lost control , I have hit a point in my life now that I am more worried about my health than being selfish and lazy with not doing my insulin properly ! It is hard I have had diabetes for 11 years now and it doesn’t get easier as not one day is the same . Hopefully I can start to get hold of it again and get my health back on track , thank you for you message!

Don't worry, once you sort your insulin ratios out you'll be fine. We all get a little bit lazy sometimes but you're doing the right thing by wanting to take back control. You got this!

Reactions: Kels*
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having diabetes for now over 10 years diagnosed age 15 , now just turned 26 and starting to worry about complications, planning for a family , health in general but can’t seem to control my diabetes . Wonder if any one similar age has been or going through this

Have u got type 1 or type 2 I was diagnosed this time last year with type 2 it has messed with my head mentally I take my bloods every morning and every night after food I have the odd one or two that’s high but I have never felt unwell or ever had an hypo so I dunno where this has come from but I am on 2 types of different medication and am on strict diet haven’t had chocolate for a year xx

Majid Naqvi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
why aren't you able to control your diabetes? can you tell some reasons? I wasn't able to control my diabetes because i wasn't serious about it.. initially when i was serious about it, i reversed my diabetes without any medicine. just some excercise and diet plan. when i discontiued this, i had no problem for several months then it started to climb up and i didn't care and now my HBA1C is 12.6..