Diabetes in general.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anybody know or agree the diabetes affects everything in the body in some way?
For me, the answer was pretty much yes. Kidneys, liver, eyes, skin, mouth, gut, blood, legs, feet....the knock-on effects cause further problems - weight gain put strain on muscles and joints, I bled for days from the smallest scratch....

High blood glucose also means high interstitial fluid glucose and high vitreous/aqueous humour glucose etc, including sweet tears - you're bathed in too much glucose.

• Agree
Reactions: filly

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Yikes sorry Kenny. For me, absolutely nothing affected but blood sugars, maybe I’m saving it up for a big thing? On saying that, I did have a Tia and heart bypass but they put that down to thirty years of chain smoking not the db.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anybody know or agree the diabetes affects everything in the body in some way?
I think high blood glucose affects many parts of the body eventually.
Diabetes in itself doesn't, as far as I know. We have many T2 members and some T1 members keeping their numbers below prediabetic levels. I wouldn't expect diabetes affecting anything in the body in those cases.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Does that sound weird to you? If diabetes did not affect the whole body, why would we need to check our eyes, kidneys, heart, neuropathy every year, often examine our feet, etc. This will not necessarily happen if bg is well controlled, but the risk is much higher than in people without diabetes

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

It’s documented it’s more probable if the condition is poorly managed or ignored…
But there have also been diabetics with little to no issues, too.

Have you any concerns?
Tell us a little more about yourself. (With what you are comfortable with…)

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bodily systems don't operate in isolation, so any dis-ease has a domino effect on some other systems. Regarding my personal experiences, there were no major effects but now my bloods are in the non-diabetic range, all sorts of issues have cleared up of their own volition, which I now realise were early symptoms of high blood glucose and insulin resistance. For instance: massive weight gain despite meticulous calorie control, skin tags, skin discoloration, swollen gums and heavy plaque despite careful dental hygiene, falling asleep after meals no matter how "healthy" being ravenous after a so-called "healthy" carb-laden meal, and many more. Had this been general knowledge at the time, I could have done something about it much sooner.

That's me. Others have different experiences. And that's the most important information of all.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bodily systems don't operate in isolation, so any dis-ease has a domino effect on some other systems. Regarding my personal experiences, there were no major effects but now my bloods are in the non-diabetic range, all sorts of issues have cleared up of their own volition, which I now realise were early symptoms of high blood glucose and insulin resistance. For instance: massive weight gain despite meticulous calorie control, skin tags, skin discoloration, swollen gums and heavy plaque despite careful dental hygiene, falling asleep after meals no matter how "healthy" being ravenous after a so-called "healthy" carb-laden meal, and many more. Had this been general knowledge at the time, I could have done something about it much sooner.

That's me. Others have different experiences. And that's the most important information of all.
I used to think I was symptomless, but with hindsight, I had all those except skin discolouration. My records show a prediabteic hna1c in 2006 . I want then tested until 2020 with a diabetic level. No idea where in those14 years I tipped over, probably within 2 to 3.

Sorry derailing, back to thread now

Guilty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of impacts to me.

Amongst other things, poorly managed blood sugars affects the vascular system. Which impacts every part of the body. So yes - I'd say Diabetes can affect every part of the body in some way.

But there are also different types of diabetes, different causes etc. etc. And people in general are different. So people will be different with what gets impacted and how.

Michellenz

Yes.
High blood glucose means more red blood cells become ‘glycated’ (have attached glucose molecule). This is what HbA1c measures.

As these damaged red blood cells travel around the body, they damage the blood vessels and all the places your blood cells go.

Some places are more fragile, kidneys, eyes, so they show the damage sooner.

Also, as blood vessels get damaged blockages form, heart disease and other arterial diseases progress.

Our feet are further from our heart, so harder for blood to travel there, when red blood cells are damaged, and flow is reduced from blockages, oxygen and other nutrients aren’t transferred as effectively, so neuropathy and slow healing occurs.

So yes.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes.
High blood glucose means more red blood cells become ‘glycated’ (have attached glucose molecule). This is what HbA1c measures.
True. But many of us have diabetes without usually having high blood glucose or a high hba1c.
It's high BG affecting your body, not having diabetes in itself.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes.

As these damaged red blood cells travel around the body, they damage the blood vessels and all the places your blood cells go.

Some places are more fragile, kidneys, eyes, so they show the damage sooner.

Also, as blood vessels get damaged blockages form, heart disease and other arterial diseases progress.

Our feet are further from our heart, so harder for blood to travel there, when red blood cells are damaged, and flow is reduced from blockages, oxygen and other nutrients aren’t transferred as effectively, so neuropathy and slow healing occurs.

So yes.
Hi Michellenz and welcome to the forums. You haven't completed the "About" section so I've no idea what sort of diabetes you have, or even if you have diabetes at all.

On the forum we try to stick to either personal experience, or a referenced valid source. What source are you using for your statements?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
This is where the label 'diabetes' for two different diseases with one major symptom in common really rears it's confusing head!

So, the answers above seem to be different, unsurprisingly, for type 1 and type 2? Have I observed correctly, or?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So, the answers above seem to be different, unsurprisingly, for type 1 and type 2? Have I observed correctly, or?
As far as I know, the answers are the same for all types of diabetes.
High BG can lead to damage in many body parts, normal BG shouldn't.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I hear you @Antje77.

I guess the big difference is then, that normal BG by taking insulin is a life-saving treatment, and the treatment numero uno for type 1. Whereas for insulin resistance based type 2, this is a way more complex picture. (I'm saying the least I can, as I'm not willing to link and refernce on my Sunday arvo :D .)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I hear you @Antje77.

I guess the big difference is then, that normal BG by taking insulin is a life-saving treatment, and the treatment numero uno for type 1. Whereas for insulin resistance based type 2, this is a way more complex picture. (I'm saying the least I can, as I'm not willing to link and refernce on my Sunday arvo :D .)
Oh, I'm a T1 and I have more than a fair bit of insulin resistance, which makes the T2 threads relevant for me.
From what I've read (too late for looking up references for me as well), the main issue with high circulating insulin levels is developing T2. Which most on here already have.
Still, I'm not familiar with any very clear studies proving that T2 (or T1) with non diabetic BG affects everything in the body, which was the original question in this thread. High BG on the other hand, no matter what type of diabetes caused it, has very clearly been proven to affect many body parts over time.

The fact that diabetics of all types develop the same complications with long time high BG but usually not with healthy numbers is enough for me to put my money on the high BG being the cause of complications.

• Useful
Reactions: AloeSvea

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I think I’m living proof that diabetes does affect your body if bs are not controlled, however I wouldn’t blame it on everything , poor choices in my life have also affected my condition , that along with diabetes have probably magnified the situation . However having diabetes shouldn’t resign oneself to think I’m going to be ill constantly in fact it should motivate to prove that your not going be affected , as a result keeping bs in check, it’s taken me an amputation , a heart attack , failed kidneys and various other minor complaints to make me realise this , and that some choices I have made alongside diabetes are to blame . Saying that I will never ever feel sorry for myself or let diabetes get me down there are far worse things out there.

Last edited: