Diabetes In This Warm Weather

HarrogateDave

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
My wife is a Diabetic 1 and in this current warm spell her levels have been fluctuating quite erratically. Over the last three weeks she's probably had a serious hypo every other night sometimes lasting hours.

We have the cool packs for her pens but can any of you good people offer some advice especially regarding what insulin to take in this warm weather or any other another useful advice.

Cheers,

From a concerned and desperate husband.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Has wife got a libre?

Has she been reducing insulin?

Without knowing how long T1, what regime wife has, it’s a bit hard to advise. Certainly it would sound as if needing to reduce insulin but without knowing what insulin’s etc she uses... it’s hard to determine if this is something that will help?

I used to have my serious hypo’s in July!! I hate July!!

It also depends upon times of eating, whether eating less in this hot weather, whether on holiday etc....

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
As written in other posts of this topic I have to reduce my insulin doses in hot weather plus watch my diet as it is different between winter and summer. Also I tend to be doing more exercise even if in the cooler arts of the day.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am getting through 2 packs of haribos a week warding off hypos. I can feel them coming so pop a few to bump my levels up. It's definitely the weather, but the inflexibility of tresiba isn't helping!!

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had a similar experience, JP808. It's a confounded nuisance.