Diabetes itchy skin

A

asparagusp

Okay I'm lucky in that I don't itch! However in the last year or so I have developed lots of tiny pinhead "bumps" on my abdomen and underneath my bosom. Two doctors at the surgery didn't know what it was ..... One said they weren't cancerous. Does anyone think this is caused by diabetes or the medications I am taking?

A

asparagusp

Incidentally there is a aqueous cream that you can apply to the itchy area. I can't remember the name at the moment. The GP prescribed it for these "bumps"

visayas79

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah mate I suffer the same Really bad at night . but it's mainly around my groin my misses goes crazy when I wake her up at stupid o'clock scratching like mad . I have no idea why or how to stop it . I am also diabetic. I got diabetes free after I had an heart attack

Georgie2469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I only get it at night also and just on my lower stomach. It has been driving me mad. At least I know what it is now. THANKSx

visayas79

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I have been diabetic for 3 years and almost since the start have suffered from terrible itchy skin, practically all over my body. I understand now that it is due to raised blood glucose levels, however, it is good to talk to others who share a similar experience.

My goal is to reduce my weight and get my diabetes in control, then I can exercise to keep the diabetes in control which I am hoping will control the skin itching.

I am under a dermatologist it is so bad and I take medication to control the itching as well as diabetes medication and anti histamines so I can sleep through the night.

It would be good to hear from others who are suffering similarly, particularly if you have any advice to help control the problem.

Thanks

visayas79

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I have been diabetic for 3 years and almost since the start have suffered from terrible itchy skin, practically all over my body. I understand now that it is due to raised blood glucose levels, however, it is good to talk to others who share a similar experience.

My goal is to reduce my weight and get my diabetes in control, then I can exercise to keep the diabetes in control which I am hoping will control the skin itching.

I am under a dermatologist it is so bad and I take medication to control the itching as well as diabetes medication and anti histamines so I can sleep through the night.

It would be good to hear from others who are suffering similarly, particularly if you have any advice to help control the problem.

Thanks

I have days where this condition occurs. My diabetic nurse advised me to sit in the bath (hot water) and once the pores are open get out and apply an emollient cream which she prescribed on prescription.

sofy

Oh wow, I've learnt something else again today! I have itchy skin, especially my legs which I can scratch until they bleed. Now I have even more incentive to keep my sugar levels low. I find Johnsons baby moisturising bath soothes me & it's so cheap compared to the other bath products claiming medical properties.
I find aqueous emollient cream helps mine,you can get it at the chemist too,and I use antihistamines to help me sleep as my doc wont give me anything to help me sleep .its distressing wen u cant sleep .that can make ur sugar go uptoo xx

S

serenity648

I had no idea itchy skin and high blood sugars went together. My skin itching has returned this past week as my levels have been high, but I didnt connect the two. Thanks peeps : ))))))

I have just googled and it seem to be connected to liver problems and fatty liver.

Sillydog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For years now I have been suffering from what my GP has treated as eczema of the ears, but now could be diabetes related, I have to treat my skin all over everyday and have cut my showers down to every two days in a bid to alleviate the condition (it's alright I do wash thoroughly on the second day :wink: ) the skin around and in the outer part of my ear is constantly dry, tried everything and currently use E45 twice a day. Have cortisone from GP, but can only use that infrequently, has anyone found a real cure, or a least something that really stops the almost constant itching, especially at night? Worse in winter, but I think that washing my hair daily does not help, but very fine hair that tends to greasiness overnight I have little option.

Sillydog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try vinegar with the mother in it. I use in my bathtub for a soak of body, on my hair as a rinse,and as a cocktail 3 times a day. Cocktail consist of; fresh water, green tea, fresh lemon juice, a dash of sea salt, unprocessed honey, a dash of cinnamon. Believe it or not..... it actually taste good too. I don't measure just a dash or a drop or a glob. Lol It reduces swelling and soothes the itches.