Diabetes itchy skin

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In diabetes, puritis can also be caused by ketones.

wiflib

tigerkitty11

had a bad reaction from a glass of RED WINE..........next day i had upset tummy, bad gastric problems for weeks and a very bad ITCHY SKIN problem which drove me up the wall................
did some research and found that wine has added SULPHITES, some more than others (this one tasted rather tarty) ......after weeks of experimenting with my diet and cutting out a lot of things i also found that all POTATOES contain SULPHITES to a degree especially bought prepared (mashed) etc.
the only SAFE POTATOES to buy to avoid sulphites are Whole potatoes with skins on.
It makes sense to try and find all things with Sulphites added, and try and avoid them. I had the maddeningly ITCHY skin problem for almost a month, and couldnt sit still or sleep unless i took an anti histanmine tablet.
I have also cut out BREAD as too much carbs make me feel tired, i now exist on Rice cakes with butter instead, eat them with my egg, or some tuna or cold meat at lunch, they have carbs but no tiredness after eating.
i am back to normal and continue to be careful, have added lots of onions and garlic to my diet

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I found personally that cewrtain drugs caused me chronic itching-and the only thing that helped was oilatum baths twice a day.

My reactions were due to specific drugs such as pregabalin, gabapentin and duloxitine.....am still on duloxitine, but have managed to manage the itching from it but purely using Oilatum and gradually changing times of dosages, occasionally I have had to use an antihistamine-but very rarely.

I always make sure for my skin-that always moisturise witith Johnsons baby oil after showering or bath-but this is mainly to do with keeping my skin supple for my sets-and previously injections.....I will never go without my baby oil..

sailorpip

Lots of mentions of 'Avon Skin so soft' - I first read about it on a Caribbean forum, but not for itchy diabetic skin.......... it is a very very good mosquito repellent !!!!!!!! 8)

Reactions: 4 people

jacks69

You could also try wearing only cotton clothing close to the skin as this allows the skin to breathe better and helps to keep the skin cool.
Calamine cream is useful for constant itching - the cream doesnt leave the white powdery patches on the skin as the calamine lotion does.
I use aloe vera shampoo from the health food shop - its expensive but have found this also helps aleviate the itching of the scalp.
There are also many other reasons for your skin to be itching too - may not be due to the bg levels. Lack of certain minerals and vitamins in your body can also cause the itching. Low levels of iron and certain liver problems.
I always suffer from itching of the scalp and back and legs. Drives me mad sometimes - have u asked your doctor to do blood tests to check your hba1c and for iron levels etc - that wud at least take some probs off the list of possible causes. Hopefully will help lessen your worry or make u aware of what needs to be done to get you feeling well again

ftt1960

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not a lot
I had no idea that diabetes could cause itchy skin - hmmm. I get itchy armpits but have put it down to the monthly cycle and menopause. I often have itchy skin now but ave recently been diagnosed with a neuropathy, which I know is the cause and a complication of diabetes.

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
The best cream i have found that actually works is aqueous cream. The doc suggested using it as a soap as well. I haven't used anything else since. It is a water based cream so absorbs really well. A week after being diagnosed diabetic i developed psoriosis on my legs and my face got so dry it shrivelled like a prune. I use it every night before i go to sleep, to shower with and then after a shower. For £2 something you get a massive tub that lasts a few months. For that price alone it's worth trying and really leaves your skin soft.

Reactions: 4 people

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Mine is worse in the night,especially the bottom of my legs :thumbdown:
In the daytime I'm mainly itchy on my forearms,wrists and legs and it does seem to coincide with BG levels over 16mmol/l with me.
I thought I was the only one being plagued by this **** itchiness as when I asked the nurse at my practice she said "Diabetes doesn't cause itching" but then again,this is the same Nurse who told me to eat "Plenty of good carbs" :***:

Reactions: 2 people

louiseb

I have been suffering from itchy skin for months now, I was referred to a dermatoligist but they didnt beleive it was linked to diabetes, they said it was down to lupus.
they prescribed a lotion called dermal 500 that I use as a replacement for soap and its fantastic and has really helped to control the itching.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
HpprKM said:
anna29 - what brand is this, where do you buy it from - ie Boots?
Hi .
It is avon's skin so soft I use in a handy spray .
I have been told it IS diabetes related my itching and very dry skin .
I use the blue coloured one! It smells nicer to me than the flowery pink one.
this also has an insect repellent built in it , great for the summer too .
Hope this helps.
Anna.x :D

tonyh10

Itching was really bad yesterday
anyway looked in my cabinet and found Aloe Vera Lotion and thought why not
result good nights sleep and here at work today perfect
hope it lasts

kevinf1967

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
anna29 said:
this also has an insect repellent built in it , great for the summer too .
Hope this helps.
Anna.x :D

It hasn't purposely got repellent in it the marines in scotland noticed it kept the mossies off their wives and started using it on exercise... they also used it in the jungle but avon cannot explain why and cannot market it as a repellent or with a repellent in it as it would have to go through pharmacuetical testing... but i know it does work :)

needle1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I get it on my back and in particular my legs and tender bits! I find exercise and drinking loads of water really help.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
my skin feels weird at times like cold and clammy and like there is some thing on it..... shakes head my eyes too I have to rub at times as they itch too

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have had an itch, upper body and my left arm in particular only ice will soothe it. It was worse when my BSLs were jumping up and down
And not in control. My eyes itched when out of focus as well. When I'm warm it's not so bad and I was always warm. But now I am feeling the chilly nights my itch is back with a vengeance. My back scratcher is in full use.
I've tried everything including the Avon stuff. Nothing doing, I've got a frozen bag of peas ready!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Coconut oil fantastic for skin as well as cooking. I got gashed on face really badly by a dog recently (my fault) and coconut oil was fantastic at healing it. Always had as a youngster 30 years ago for suntan lotion... But use nowadays as hair conditionsr and as moisturiser on whole body.

Use the cheap **** ktc oil as a tub and keep in bathroom for face n body, but use better virgin coconut oil downstairs in kitchen.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Does wonders too for dry skin n itching.

I often have horrible itching sores from stinginging nettles. Never put anything but water in bath, but use tbe cheapest ktc coconut oil eveeywhere on skin afterwards and it really soothes...

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Tried it DD, I have psoriasis. But my skin is not dry. Oil doesn't help. Only antihystermine gets me to asleep when I'm itchy.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I have witch hazel to work wonders for variety of skin conditions.