beckycobban01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being a diabetic
Hi everyone!!
I am a type 1 diabetic who is currently doing a dissertation in the perception of diabetes in the media!
I was hoping that some of you could help me by telling me your experiences with diabetes in the media. I am planning conducting a focus group, as well, to gain perceptions from fellow diabetics but I would like to ask similar questions here:

1. Are you aware of diabetes in the media?
  2. Do you believe the information in the media is correct or incorrect? Can you think of any examples?
  3. Have you ever felt demoralized by the media?
  4. Can you think of any examples where diabetes has been correctly portrayed in the media? How does this make you feel
  5. Can you think of any examples where diabetes has been incorrectly portrayed in the media? How does this make you feel
  6. Have you ever experienced a situation where someone wrongly accuses you of something related to diabetes?
  7. Have you ever experienced a situation where someone references something about diabetes from a TV show or film?
Any contributions would be greatly appreciated! This will aid me in my second study which will look at the knowledge non-diabetics have on diabetes and whether this is influenced by the media! Any questions please let me know!

Thank you soo much in advance!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

Oh, let me think.. There was a diabetic guy in the film Species when he picked the alien up in a club that got "wasted" (killed) by the the aformentioned "hybrid" woman because you guessed it "unsuitable breeding stock." ;)

There's all this nonsense too!

But to be fair.? That's nothing compared to the bullshed that's in the tabloids about T2...

Thanks for asking by the way! :D

beckycobban01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being a diabetic
Hello,

Oh, let me think.. There was a diabetic guy in the film Species when he picked the alien up in a club that got "wasted" (killed) by the the aformentioned "hybrid" woman because you guessed it "unsuitable breeding stock." ;)

There's all this nonsense too!

But to be fair.? That's nothing compared to the bullshed that's in the tabloids about T2...

Thanks for asking by the way! :D

Thanks for sharing that video!!! There are so many wrong perceptions in the media!! Does it make you angry and do you think it changes non-diabetics knowledge of diabetes??

Have you got any examples about the stuff in the tabloids about T2?

Thank you so much!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for sharing that video!!! There are so many wrong perceptions in the media!! Does it make you angry and do you think it changes non-diabetics knowledge of diabetes??

Have you got any examples about the stuff in the tabloids about T2?

Thank you so much!

Angry? No. It's pure "comedy gold!"

The stuff about T2s in the tabloids....? Dare I say it.. Do you remember the 1980s regarding AIDS & HIV.? "The scourge." The "big killer." The "drain on the NHS". It's all simply down to a "lifestyle change".. Stop being "gay" you won't get T2..

Getting it all mixed up. But you get my point..... ;)

Edit; just noticed your only 21. At one point the tabloids pretty much had a "which hunt" on celebs they suspected of being HIV positive. Pure sensationalist evil...

Last edited: