Type 2 Diabetes or fatty liver? Or vice versa

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
Would like to know if anyone knows whether they got diagnosed with their diabetes first or fatty liver? I have both, got diagnosed with T2 diabetes in 2009 and found by chance with an US scan that they found fatty liver 2 years ago in 2015. Apparently it's all part of the metabolic syndrome and quite cross that I wasn't scanned for fatty liver soon after being diagnosed diabetic. I am taking steps to lose weight and improve things.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I dont think it was common practice to scan livers until enzymes are high enough to cause concern.
I just keep getting told lately that I'll need to reduce my insulin on the liver shrinking diet pre bariatric surgery.
I know my liver enzymes are lower on the lowest carb intake.
My mum hasnt diabetes but has fatty liver. She consumes high levels of fruit and fruit yogurts. I've asked her to reduce these but she isnt interested. Stubborn woman.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was diagnosed in order,

Liver function problems.
Fatty liver, prediabetes.
High bad cholesterol
Fatty liver, high liver function.
Kidney function.
Type two diabetes.
Non alcoholic fatty liver.
Reactive hypoglycaemia, misdiagnosed with T2!
Misdiagnosed fatty liver,
Controlled condition, now all bar my RH to be healthy.

I believe that the cause to a lot of T2 may be caused by hyperinsulinaemia. Which causes liver problems and high blood glucose levels. It also exacerbates weight gain!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The Newcastle studies have demonstrated it the fatty liver first, but diabetes then makes the fatty liver worse setting up a twin cycle, each cycle making the other worse. But standard scanners can not detect fatty liver until it is very bad likewise with the blood test.

Google for "Prof Roy Taylor diabetes twin cycle" to find some videos and the research papers.

(Insulin resistance starts the process going, no one yet has worked out why some people (regardless of weight) are at higher risk.)

Reactions: carina62