Diabetes Out Of Control

Braes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed in February this year as type 2, with a reading of 28.
Ever since then, I get my bloods checked and it still seems to be around 17, they have increased my medication of both metformin and Gliclazide each time.
As of a month ago I am on four of each a day, Dr says this is the maximum dose allowed, however after my last blood test last week its still high.
Dr says to come back again in January and if its still high they will try something else.
But my issue is, I have had a weird fuzzy head for months and sore stomach as well, my fuzzy head feeling seems to be getting worse, I am also soo tired.
The Dr's attitude was, i have put on a stone in weight in the last year, and that's what must be causing it, feel this is unbelievable, as I have been really hungry since starting medication, probably eat more than I should, but its all healthy foods.
I feel I have to develop a complication before another treatment is going to be looked at, not happy that even after 4 hours of not eating i am still around 15-17 reading.
Also adds to my worry is my Dad suffered numerous complications until his death again due to Diabetes complications.
Oddly enough he attended the same Dr's surgery.
Just worried I am heading the same way.

Mushroom

Hi, has your doctor asked you what you are eating? Could eating more still be keeping your blood sugars high?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can you let us know what healthy eating means? Are you having only high-fibre carbs and low-GI ones? Are you keeping carb intake down to, say, below, 150 gm/day? Diet has a big effect on blood sugar. Do you mind me asking how old you are as age can affect the diabetes diagnosis and the fact that Gliclazide isn't having much effect implies either your pancreas isn't producing enough insulin or insulin resistance might also be negating the Gliclazide. Metformin normally reduces your appetite so it's surprising you still feel very hungry.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately what is deemed a healthy diet for the general population won't work if you have a wonky Type 2 pancreas.

A good place to get ideas on what to eat is http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf (and don't worry about the high fat bit, you don't add extra fat).

Braes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My Doctor has not asked what I am eating, I am actually eating the same foods as I always have.
Have a varied diet, I don't eat anything sweet never have, not got a sweet tooth at all.
Eat chicken every day, any meat/mince I cook then skim the fat off, eat loads of vegetables.
I am 46 years of age, about the same age as my Father diabetes became uncontrollable.
My stomach is sore until I eat something, between meals I take those packet diet soups, also lots of diet soft drinks as well.
Also have had sore kidneys at both sides for the past month, hopefully my urine test I handed in comes back with something, as I am fed up being tired all the time.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi Braes .

Gliclazide can cause weight gain - acts as an appetite stimulant in "some" persons.
I suggest you talk these issue's through with your doctor when you see him/her again in january.

In the meantime untill you see your doctor again try -
Keeping a written log of your BG level readings daily from now till then .
Then you can see if any pattern or changes show up ...

With the not eating for over 4hours and sitting at readings in the 'teens' indicates maybe your doctor is
right , little or no improvement , time to talk through other options.
To get it down to lower figures .

How would you feel if you were to need or require insulin ?
I had to consider this after having months of BG levels no lower than 14 daily.
I had tried various tablet meds prior to going onto insulin therapy.
[none of them worked in lowering my levels enough]
Have to be honest since the change over to insulin therapy - I really do feel
a million times better...
Less weary and tired, more clearer headed and zest for life/energy returned.
Was your father on tablet meds or insulin?

I too ate healthy food and low carbed , on just tablet meds and found I still had BG levels way too high.
It was only when I changed to insulin therapy that everything tipped the right way it should be for me .
Foggy head cleared, levels came down quickly to a much better controlled range,zest for life and energy returned.

Try taking somone with you , next time you see your doctor as moral support.
Write a list of things you need/want to discuss with your doctor too, take this along with you.
Sometimes they give a clearer picture and answers when they see how proactive you are being with your thoughts
on your own diabetes care.
With a family member or friend with you as support , you will feel better to use this form of approach .

Hope this helps.

Anna.

Braes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

I agree bringing someone with me to next appointment would help, as I don't get to say much, but rather get lectured to.
My father was on meds until he got gangrene, then was put on insulin.
If insulin gets my energy back then I would have no problems with it at all, as by afternoon I cant keep my eyes open at work.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello Braes.

Keep falling asleep and struggling at work isnt a nice thing to experience or to battle with daily.

Once the christmas is over ,try making a positive, way forward plan for yourself.

Write down all the things that 'are' difficult for you to deal with currently.
Do a list of questions you would like to ask your doctor.
Choose someone to take along with you and have them alongside you
in the room.
When you ask your doctor the questions you need to ...

Also show him/her the list of issues causing you everyday stress/problems.
[like the falling sleepy in the afternoons]
Ask doctor to explain any connections on your list - to your diabetes higher blood sugars levels.

Ask for a future plan to work together with...
Then you will better supported by your doctor working alongside you.

Hope this helps.

Anna.

Jung the foreman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Braes, a food diary would be useful for you as with keeping mine, I do not now eat breakfast cerals of any kind, white bread, white rice or pasta and I have limted portions of potates, if I do, my BG levels go too high.

Saying that I've been on Insulin now for 3 years and my HB1Ac levels have become higher (it seems I am insulin resisant). I've also been diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Aponea, which you may need to be tested for.

Good Luck

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
definitely keep a BG readings record. It might help too if you keep a food diary with portion sizes. You may still be eating a lot of carbs. If you see the link between what tyou ate and a particularly high BG, you might find what to cut back on.
It's amazing where carbs hide; the amount of sugar in some soups is scary.
The cup-a-soup things are also quite well supplied with carbs. I looked at them to see if I could find one to have for a lunchtime snack. In the end I settled for making a bouillon from Bovril. It tastes better too.
Hana

Braes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
After all the helpful advice, I have started a diary.
Just the other day i received a letter from my Doctor advising me that they have passed me onto the Diabetic clinic in the Hospital.
Spoke to my Doctor on the phone and she said its was because the Hospital could prescribe treatment not available in their practice!.
So hopefully an alternative treatment will help, my BG at the moment is hovering around 18, and on Monday it sat at 22 most of the day, did not come down till late at night, probably due to not eating.
And Yes Jung the Foreman I was diagnosed with sleep apnea 4 months before my diabetes was diagnosed, using a CPAP machine at night.
Which helps loads.
Thought it odd though, I was reading some American research that suggests that if tested positive for sleep apnea, they should also test for Diabetes!.
Seems there's a relationship between the two, something in the region of 40% of patients with sleep apnea have diabetes.
And thanks for all the help and suggestions posted, it certainly calmed me down somewhat, as I was getting pretty worried.
:thumbup: