1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetes prevalence

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by slip, Apr 12, 2019.

1. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’m glad my post has generated an interesting discussion. It is fascinating.

As I was typing the op I wondered if atom bomb testing would be mentioned! And also the Americanised diet, I don’t know the Pacific islands, nor if their diet had been completely Americanised or not, something to look into!

• Like Like x 2
  2. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My father was involved in the nuclear industry. He was designing and building nuclear power stations and working around testing sites in the late 1950's - 1975-ish. He maintained that the nuclear fallout, especially due to the Castle Bravo explosion, has affected most of us ever since.

eta: https://www.atomicheritage.org/location/marshall-islands

• Like Like x 1
  3. NoCrbs4Me

NoCrbs4Me I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Combination.

4. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

I think a combo of things, but dietary is the lead cause. Indigenous cultures all have low rates of chronic disease, until they are exposed to the SAD diet. Throw all the rubbish, chemical additives, fake foods and high glucose foods both simple sugars and starch and you get the result you see.

I think the high rates in island and small populations compared to the usa's level is because those small populations are so much more easily flooded with rubbish imported goods. Which changes their way of eating very quickly. It's also a lot easier to do the numbers on small populations compared to a 300 million plus country.

5. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

He was right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook