Diabetes Pump

Lucywyton

Hi,

i was diagnosed with TYpe 1 diabetes when i was 7, i am now 18 and two years ago they moved me on to the pump however they still havent been able to get my medication right and i am constantly having hypo's. I dont know anyone using this and would be helpful if i could know if anyone else is having the same problems as me?

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Lucy, have you looked at reducing your total basal rate? Or possibly switching to a different insulin?

You may also be able to request use of a CGM on a weeks trial so you can get an idea of your BG trend.

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

Lucywyton

Hi, yes they are constantly changing it and it hasnt seemed to help, never changed insulin though.
they are looking in to me trying that out to see whats going on because there is never any kind of trend that we can see i am just constantly all over the place. :(

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Lucy

My Son has been on his pump for almost a year and we have had to do a lot of tweaking but last week the DSN put in 5 different profiles for say lazy lie ins, exercise, stress and normal routine days. Has your DSN done this because since this has been done his BG's have been more controllable and he just puts on the profile to match his day. The BG's are far more level now.

Hope you can get it sorted.

Best Wishes :thumbup:

Lucywyton

Hi, they were going to try the different profiles, but as i am leading a hectic life at the moment i am always on the move and pretty much in the same routine, which you would think would make it easier but it doesnt seem to be, the only thing they are putting it down to my hormones. hopefully will sort it out soon!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Lucy what Pump do you have? if its one with a cgm you could get a much better idea of whats going on very quickly.

Lucywyton

Hi,

No my pump doesnt have a cgm however they are trying to get me on a trial for a week with one to find out whats happening, they seem thrown out with my results as they are all over the place im having hypo's any time of day and then im fine they dont know what is causing my hypo's and neither do i.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you been tested for Coeliac? I used to have a lot of hypos and then rebound and didnt have any symptoms but then when diagnosed my gut healed and led to an improvement in BGs

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
what basal rates are you running at the moment? I would be inclined to reduce your basal 30-40% to see if that helps for a while. Another option is to check your insulin to carb ratio's are correct. Are you on a 1 unit per 10g carb? Sometimes my hypos are caused by this change and I often alter my I:C ratio's depending on what I'm eating, time of day or if I've exercised. But again I also have 3 different patterns on my pump to change the basal's to compensate.

Do you keep a diary? Perhaps it might be worth while writing absolutely everything down to see if you can find any patterns during the day.

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Lucywyton said:
Hi, they were going to try the different profiles, but as i am leading a hectic life at the moment i am always on the move and pretty much in the same routine, which you would think would make it easier but it doesnt seem to be, the only thing they are putting it down to my hormones. hopefully will sort it out soon!

Hormones a nightmare for my son!!!!! til we did the change of profiles. Hope you get sorted soon
:thumbup:

Lucywyton

Mine are changed all the time, there different at all times of the day, my hypo's seem to be mainly in the middle of the night while im sleeping, therefore they are always fairly bad ones as i dont wake up straight away! they are worried as i am not not noticing as much when i am about to have a hypo wheras before i used to be able to tell before i even had one! i havent been checked for coeliac disease but i will deffinatley ask at my next appointment! my HBA1C is different all the time ranging from 7-9 and it only managed to reach 7 when i was having hypo's atleast 4 times a day!