Diabetes symptoms

harryhonda

Good afternoon everyone hope you are all doing well

I had a fasting blood test on 23/3/2021 at the doctor's and my reading was 48 so he said I was diabetic

Hasn't put me on anything but said to diet, exercise and eat healthy and he will repeat the test in 2 months

He asked if I had symptoms but I don't really know what the main symptoms are

Would I know if I had symptoms I am very tired and I tiddle a bit more anyway now I am a bit older 49 today

My eyes sometimes feel a little blurry but I suffer from ocular hypertension so that could be that

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

I am stuck not knowing what to do I am diabetic or not. Do I need to be worried or not

Many thanks

X

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a fasting blood test on 23/3/2021 at the doctor's and my reading was 48 so he said I was diabetic
Did they take a blood sample that then came back with a result of 48 mmol/mol?
A fasting blood test would be a simple finger prick test and fairly unlikely to have a result of 48 whatever the units are.

Reactions: harryhonda

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome

We can't diagnose here but even if you have diabetes it is not the end of the world.

the link below gives some basic information which may be helpful
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

Rather than worry about symptoms my suggestions is either get a followup test to confirm or just get a meter and start testing. I personally would do the second as this is what I did. I didn't have a follow up test but having found this wonderful site I got a meter and went very low carb pretty much straight away so on my 3 month review my HbA1c was well within the normal range. I keep very low carb and am now used to it. It can be difficult starting but I found the meter very rewarding as the effects of food is quick so seeing a drop in the levels on the same day helped me be motivated. Similarly when I carb creep the levels remind me to be more careful.

Good luck and welcome - read around and post. We are a friendly bunch very willing to help.

Reactions: jjraak and EllieM

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@harryhonda
I had no symptoms. I only went for a test because a relative was diagnosed and that put me in high risk category. I was so surprised when it came back diabetic.

With hindsight I was peeing too often but had put that down to being female of certain age.

harryhonda

@harryhonda
I had no symptoms. I only went for a test because a relative was diagnosed and that put me in high risk category. I was so surprised when it came back diabetic.

With hindsight I was peeing too often but had put that down to being female of certain age.

Good Morning my lovely hope you are well today

Yes I have been tiddling more but put that down to been a lady 49 years

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me much appreciated, I am also looking at a low carb diet and exercise more and make healthier choices

We got this gorgeous girl

Take care and have a lovely weekend

J x

Reactions: MrsA2

harryhonda

A fasting blood test would be a simple finger prick test and fairly unlikely to have a result of 48 whatever the units are.

Good Morning hope you are well today

Yes they did a fasting glucose test at the doctors which came back as 48 I was told to change my lifestyle lose weight, exercise and healthy eating

Was thinking of a low carb diet

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me your advice and help is greatly appreciated

Have a lovely weekend

Kindest regards J

harryhonda

Hello and welcome

We can't diagnose here but even if you have diabetes it is not the end of the world.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

Rather than worry about symptoms my suggestions is either get a followup test to confirm or just get a meter and start testing. I personally would do the second as this is what I did. I didn't have a follow up test but having found this wonderful site I got a meter and went very low carb pretty much straight away so on my 3 month review my HbA1c was well within the normal range. I keep very low carb and am now used to it. It can be difficult starting but I found the meter very rewarding as the effects of food is quick so seeing a drop in the levels on the same day helped me be motivated. Similarly when I carb creep the levels remind me to be more careful.

Good luck and welcome - read around and post. We are a friendly bunch very willing to help.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me your advice, help and support is greatly appreciated

Have a lovely weekend

Kindest regards

J

harryhonda

Hello and welcome

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me your help, support and advice is greatly appreciated

Have a lovely weekend

Kindest regards

J

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes they did a fasting glucose test at the doctors which came back as 48
My question was related to the terminology you are using.
If they took a vial of blood from your arm then that was an HbA1c test and the result of 48 mmol/mol is on the borderline of pre-diabetes (42-47 mmol/mol) and Type 2 (48 mmol/mol and above)
A fasting glucose test is a finger prick test that gives an immediate snapshot of your blood glucose at that moment in time and would usually be in a range of 4-10 mmol/l and is a very different beast although equally useful but for different things.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Would I know if I had symptoms I am very tired and I tiddle a bit more anyway now I am a bit older 49 today

Happy birthday.

You are 49years young so I wouldn't assume any symptoms are due to old age.

48 is likely to be an hba1c (a measurement of your average blood sugar over the last three months) which is diabetic according to many countries and prediabetic according to a few. (It's a how long is a piece of string question, but whichever way you look at it you are on the diabetic prediabetic boundary).

If you are T2 (carb intolerant, likely but not necessarily true), reducing the carbs in your diet will help. Testing your blood sugar before and after meals will help you determine what your body can cope with.

The good news is that you are only just diabetic so that it is likely that reducing the carbs in your diet is a relatively easy fix.

Good luck. Let us know how you go.

Reactions: jjraak

harryhonda

Thank you so much for my birthday good wishes for yesterday

I am so very grateful for your help, advice and support means a lot as it is a bit scary right now

But like you we got this

Stay well and enjoy your weekend

Kindest regards

J

Reactions: jjraak

harryhonda

Yes fasting blood test at the doctor's. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me greatly appreciated

Have a lovely weekend

Kindest regards

J