1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetes type 1 and pregnancy

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by dr.ima, Feb 26, 2021.

1. dr.ima

dr.ima · Newbie

I am 23 years old, female with diabetes type 1 and i am thinking of having a baby and i am scared will my baby get diabetes? is there anything i can do to lower the risk of my baby getting it as well?
    any women that went through this could you please give me advices or tel me how it went with you? how is your baby?

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Look, T1 diabetes is slightly more common if you have a T1 mother (more so if you have a T1 father or of both parents are diabetic). But it's nowhere near as genetic as if your parent(s) are T2.

Interesting article here, though I'm not sure how old it is.
    Genetics of Diabetes | ADA

From wikipedia (much more recent)
    The risk of a child developing type 1 diabetes is about 5% if the father has it, about 8% if a sibling has it, and about 3% if the mother has it. If one identical twin is affected there is about a 40% to 50% chance the other will be too.

So though your children are more likely to get T1 than those of a non diabetic friend, they are still very unlikely to get it.

I am the daughter of a T1 mother who felt very guilty when I got the illness. I am just grateful that I am alive and that she was both able to diagnose me very early and help me adjust to the illness. I have never blamed her for my T1.

I have two children and never considered remaining childless in case they became diabetic. (Though I admit to investing in some urine testing strips and checking them if they ever seemed thirsty. :)) And the treatment for today's young T1s is way better than when I was a child, pre glucometer. They are both in their twenties now, still not diabetic. :) (Mind you I don't fancy their chances with T2, because 3 of their 4 grandparents had/have it.)

You may improve your children's chances of a non diabetic future slightly by breastfeeding, but the biggest favour you can do them is to maintain good control of your sugars before and during pregnancy.

Good luck.

pd Depending on which country you live in you are very likely to be able to get a continuous glucose monitor while pregnant. This should hopefully help you a lot.

• Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook