John Brooks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, Can't suffer fools.
Good morning fellow sufferers,

Both my wife and I have suffered for several years from Type 2 Diabetes and I have recently been reading up on the possible benefits of using Epsom Salts both externally and internally.

Unfortunately there appears to be conflicting information on the benefits (or lack thereof) in the use of Epsom Salts so I am wondering if our members will share their opinions about whether it is good or bad, together with any reputable online links regarding the safety of using it, both externally and internally.

I have read that it can be extremely beneficial if we have a nice long soak in the bath or if we soak our feet in it. Unfortunately we no longer have a bath installed and only have a shower.

Also if we drink Epsom Salts it can help with the lowering of blood sugar levels and hypertension.

On the other hand I have read that using these salts may have detrimental affects for Diabetes Type 2 sufferers.

Any advice or opinions from those who have used, or who are using Epsom Salts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

John

John Brooks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, Can't suffer fools.
Although I have read up about the possible side effects of taking Epsom Salts internally and 'the runs' being possibly one of them I do thank you for your reply, it was very appreciated.

I have purchased these salts from a company called 'Westlab' and it is marked as 'medical grade' From the information I have gathered apparently not all manufactured salts are recommended for use internally and I am wondering if the salts I have bought is Ok to drink. I am awaiting a reply from them before I do drink it we are only using it to soak our feet at the moment.

What I really need is information from fellow diabetes sufferers who have, or are, using Epsom Salts internally because as I have mentioned the information regarding drinking of Epsom Salts and diabetics is somewhat conflicting.

Kind regards

John

Dark Horse

Regarding bath soaks: The skin is designed to be a barrier and is pretty impermeable. I think it is unlikely that there is any significant entry of magnesium or sulphate through the skin and I know of no good quality evidence that would suggest otherwise. I can't see that Epsom salts baths would have any advantage over normal baths. On the contrary, magnesium sulphate can be quite drying to the skin and may increase risk of infection in people without excellent diabetic control.

Regarding oral administration: I don't know of any evidence of benefit of oral administration other than as a laxative. For this it is important to follow the instructions carefully as overdose can be fatal.

There is some evidence of an association between low blood levels of magnesium and complications in Type 2 diabetes. If your blood levels of magnesium have been measured to be low you might want to consider increasing dietary sources of magnesium such as green leafy vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes and whole grains. You could also take a supplement but I would ask your pharmacy for advice, especially if you are taking any medication or other supplements.

Reactions: Ixarix

scaryblueberry

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have type 1 diabetes and have Epsom salt baths sometimes. Its always very relaxing. I've read it opens and relaxes blood vessels. The only diabetic counterindication ive read about so far has talked about problems using it for diabetics with existing nerve damage. I dont have this. Yesterday I used more than normal, about 100g and stayed in the bath for half an hour. I have blood pressure usually around 105/80 which is on the low end of normal so i am usually careful how long i use empsom salts as it can reduse blood pressure. My blood pressure sunk pretty drastically yesterday for the first time, which I noticed because I got very faint and I got very hot. It took about 20 minutes to recover. I tested my blood sugar as I felt hypo but my blood sugar was slightly high. I hadn't expected it to be based on my day. Over night my blood sugar shot up to 19 or 228 u.s. measure I think. It does this anyway at times for no obvious reason but i wanted to check if theres any potential correlation between the Epsom salts andand high blood. My question here is whether anyone knows of or has experienced a link between epsom salts and high blood sugar? Or between low blood pressure and high blood sugar?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use magnesium oil on the skin. Excellent absorbability.
Marvellous stuff.

Magnesium deficiency was giving me insomnia and a few other symptoms, but rubbing magnesium oil into arms and legs at night before bed has made a huge difference. Can’t praise it enough. The benefits were impressive, and I slept well the first night of use, and have continued to do so for 4?5? months. Obviously more than a coincidence after bad sleep for a couple of years.

I seem to absorb magnesium much better through my skin than through my digestive tract.
There are many different forms of magnesium supplement, of varying availabilty, and price, and some of them can cause horrible gut upset. Am VERY glad to have discovered magnesium oil.

I looked at epsom salts when I was researching it, and found them much less effective than mag oil.

Reactions: GrahamHamblin