Diabetes UK mentioning that Low Carb might be helpful in T2 in the new edition of Balance!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I worry that the message of low carb with out increasing fats will just set people up for failure.

Initially I did manage low carb low fat but I was also trying to mimic the VLCD namely the Newcastle diet. Certain types of sachet that might have been used in the Newcastle diet contain as much as 40 gms of carb, so 120 gms a day in total. By cutting out rice, potato, bread and pasta and what I call obvious carbs (cake, biscuits, pies etc etc) I reduced to about 40 - 50 gms carb in total per day.

When my GP said I wasn't eating enough I just added cream in my coffee, and yogurt to put on blueberries, and certain cuts of meat to have some lunch times. My total calories were still well below my RMR. My total cholesterol increased dramatically as did my weight. So the high fat part of LCHF isn't really good for me.

Hotpepper20000

Initially I did manage low carb low fat but I was also trying to mimic the VLCD namely the Newcastle diet. Certain types of sachet that might have been used in the Newcastle diet contain as much as 40 gms of carb, so 120 gms a day in total. By cutting out rice, potato, bread and pasta and what I call obvious carbs (cake, biscuits, pies etc etc) I reduced to about 40 - 50 gms carb in total per day.

When my GP said I wasn't eating enough I just added cream in my coffee, and yogurt to put on blueberries, and certain cuts of meat to have some lunch times. My total calories were still well below my RMR. My total cholesterol increased dramatically as did my weight. So the high fat part of LCHF isn't really good for me.
I agree there are always a few that “high” might not be the best.
That’s why I wrote it doesn’t have to be massive amounts. Just choosing regular foods and not actively looking for low-fat products makes a difference.

M

Member496333

Snacking is the real killer. Calorie restriction tends to promote snacking, and snacking, on anything, secretes insulin, resulting in permanently elevated levels, instead of just at meal times.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with everything everyone said - but since when was pork a red meat? As a city and guilds trained chef and in a family of chefs and restaurant owners for generations pork has always been a white meat! in fact apart from belly pork and the fat in chops it's a very lean low fat meat if you don't eat the visible fat (why wouldn't you though?) and lower in fat than dark meat on chicken and turkey

Just another bit of misinformation and contradiction

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
upload_2018-12-10_15-17-5.png

As usual, they are attempting to repackage their Mediterranean, vegan, low fat, low-calorie diet as low carb...

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-10_15-14-24.png
    upload_2018-12-10_15-14-24.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 91
M

Member496333

Yep. Same advice repackaged in an attempt to fool those researching low carbohydrate eating.