Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
borofergie said:
[I also don't eat sugar coated bananas for now, but I hope in the future, with a bit of weight loss, that I'll be able to tolerate them (or more likely a few chocolate hobnobs now and again).

Don't need to put sugar on bananas, choose them ripe and they are already sweet enough, I eat one everyday and quite often eat two, just came in from a 10 mile walk and devoured one on my travels! :D

Nigel

pianoman

Sid Bonkers said:
pianoman said:
There seems to be this attitude that all of us with Diabetes ought to be able to eat the same as "everyone else" -- even if it takes medication --

"Attitude"? "all of us with Diabetes ought to be able to eat the same as "everyone else""? Sorry I missed the bit where that was mentioned, I do remember lots of mentions of "we are all different" but that has a totally different meaning doesn't it?
Sorry Sid, I can see how that might have been taken badly and that was not my intention at all :oops: I was thinking of the original article/recipe and not aiming it at anyone here on the forum.

I agree 100% that we are all different and with Diabetes we each have different tolerances for carbohydrates, so why isn't that difference addressed in this recipe? You described 70% of diabetics who may not have the same proactive BG control that so many seem to have here on the forums -- so imagine one of these who is paying lip-service or cursory regard to their BG control who reads this recipe from an expert in a professional journal and says "aha so this is a safe diabetic recipe.. excellent I can enjoy this and still have good BG control", maybe they can or maybe (more likely?) they can't -- where is the "we are all different" there?

I see lots of agreement in this thread and forum. I thought this thread was started to point out a shortcoming in those who are supposed to be helping us... not to generate in-fighting amongst us.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
pianoman said:
You described 70% of diabetics who may not have the same proactive BG control that so many seem to have here on the forums -- so imagine one of these who is paying lip-service or cursory regard to their BG control who reads this recipe from an expert in a professional journal and says "aha so this is a safe diabetic recipe.. excellent I can enjoy this and still have good BG control", maybe they can or maybe (more likely?) they can't -- where is the "we are all different" there?

Yes you do have a point it would have been better to have used Splenda or some other artificial sweetener
thumbsup.gif
but a sprinkling of sugar wont kill anyone and the 70% probably aren't reading anything from DUK just as they are unlikely to be members here, there is no helping some people I'm afraid, sad but true. But some of the comments insinuating that one whiff of a bakers apron will cause complications is a bit hard to read, I just think we need to keep things in perspective :D

RussG

I've posted a very similar message in the low carb forum, but I'll spell it out again for clarity:

Can I add in my $0.02 on 'carb intolerance'. I have a friend who is has coeliac disease. He is severely intolerant of gluten. He avoids being ill by completely avoiding gluten. If I am intolerant of carbohydrates and have to take insulin to treat my 'intolerance', why can't I eat no carb and stop taking my insulin?

The answer is because it's not carbohydrate my body can't metabolise, it's glucose, as in the end result of the mechanism, which includes whether it comes from carbohydrate, protein or gluconeogenesis. Even when taking a pretty low carb intake (approx 50g a day) I still needed a basal insulin load. In another thread, someone asks 'if it's not an intolerance, why do we all get made to take glucose tolerance tests?'. Well I think the most important word in that sentence is 'glucose' and not 'tolerance''.

Nobody here is advocating ramming themselves (or anyone else) full of carbs. We all practise some form of carb restraint, but I find the attitude being put out there that eating any carb is consuming poison to be both incorrect and extremely unhelpful. Everyone here (and I mean EVERYONE) needs to be respectful of other people's choices.

Given the nature of the original thread, a debate on whether people would or would not eat the recipe is an appropriate topic. However, nowhere on this site should people's choices be ridiculed or sneered at. I've said this before and I'll say it again: we all have to find our best route for managing this, be that low carb, no carb, more carb or a potion made from the rear quarters of South American fruitbats. As moderators we will not tolerate personal attacks, nor will we accept people insensitively throwing around epithets that people will find insulting. As moderators we are watching these threads and are trying hard to keep the dialogue and flow going. Don't give us reasons to stop it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Again an excellent post Russ which needed to be said! :)

Nigel

pianoman

Great post Russ and I agree that there is absolutely no call to be insensitive to others or critical of their choices... we do each need find out what works for us.

I find the idea of "glucose intolerance" useful for me, especially when dealing with social situations involving food... how many of us have been at a work party or with family or friends and been pressed to have a piece of cake or whatever? We might say "no thanks I have Diabetes" but that is often shrugged off with a "aw come on, just a little bit" or a "so and so is Diabetic and they are eating it" etc... whereas if we had a nut allergy or gluten intolerance there seems to be less pressure and more acceptance when we say "no thanks".

And much like gluten intolerance, lactose intolerance etc... there are variations in degree... there are some who can take a little wheat or a little milk every now and then without any issue, while others have to stay completely away from it.

Perhaps the difference between Type 1/1.5 and 2 also rears it's head here... without bolus insulin I can't make last minute adjustments or corrections... I can only deal with what my impaired but still somewhat functioning pancreas is giving me -- being careful not to overstretch its limits. So that has to factor into my choices as well. And please don't misunderstand: I am in no way suggesting that a Type 1 can just eat whatever and bolus :)

If I ate that cake or a banana (even without icing sugar) it would make me ill.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi all, GREAT post russ, We are ALL unique and individual and each have our own way ,routine, style that works for each of us, whether one person eats a spud - another person eats a lettuce leaf for example.
Whatever we choose to eat and meal plan with, we are all on the same journey living with a diabetes condition. This is what ' gels us all ' together and only this... !
Not what food and meal consumption we all intake with and use.
There really should not be any division at all with any labels to refer to a particular food group [trying to put it mildly] that works for one and any insistence that it is the best and only way forward.
We all have to share the same place on the forum and it would be nice to be tollerant of all individuality. As this IS what we all are... individual . Anna. :D

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL, BUT SOME ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

[youtube]XQDDTm4_AvY[/youtube]

silvarbullet1

pixor said:
I was shocked to get the latest Diabetes UK email newsletter, and see that the recipe of the month was barbecued fruit with icing sugar!

Could they have come up with anything worse?

In my experience, they have unsuitable recipes in nearly every issue.
They seem to pick recipes at random, with no actual regard for the carb/sugar levels at all.
I just don't understand that magazine.

silvarbullet1

borofergie said:
jopar said:
borofergie said:
Sorry I don't think that from your discription of your 10 minutes, gives you the right to judge let alone condem in the manner you do..

So you've determined in 10 minutes, the level of understanding of issues surrounding diabetes, lack of constructive advice, that she was reading from a script! no knwoldege of low carbering etc etc...

Sorry but yet again, you can not determine all this in 10 mintues it's impossible..

The appointment was for 2 hours (according to the referall letter). The dietician discharged me after 10 minutes, after offering no constructive advice. How am I supposed to judge her level of knowledge?

And of course I have the right to criticise any HCP that doesn't treat me properly. I waited 2 months for the appointment, prepared extensively for it, and went with an open mind expecting an objective review of my diet. Where was my tailored diet plan?

I think it's really sad when this happens, but I have always had a fairly good experience with Dieticians and Diabetic Nurses. I have been to 2 different clinics and both have been polite & helpful.

HOWEVER, I have found that 99% of the work has to come from my end, as does 75% of the knowledge. Because these folk cannot control your diabetes for you, and at the end of the day, they might see 30 diabetics everyday, but you are the only person who sees YOU every day.

So I personally don't care too much for seeing the dietician, because although they're nice, I feel (incredibly bigheaded I'm sure) that I could easily do their job for them. This is probably not true of course, but from my perspective, I can work out what to eat better than they can (although being told to eat more fruit and veg is not unhelpful).

Both these clinics had dedicated Diabetes Dieticians, so they knew the deal about carbs and didn't tell me to eat more/less, rather they just helped me to look at a healthier diet overall.

squeeze321

Dislikes
Hypos
pixor said:
I was shocked to get the latest Diabetes UK email newsletter, and see that the recipe of the month was barbecued fruit with icing sugar!

Urghhhhhh sounds revolting!!! :lol:

Morgaine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
bad manners house/rap
good point jopar, if we want to improvise and play jazz we have to learn the original tune ;)

Grazer

Morgaine said:
good point jopar, if we want to improvise and play jazz we have to learn the original tune ;)

? Sorry, confused, can't see a Jopar point? Different thread?

Morgaine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
bad manners house/rap
sorry Grazer, what I meant was we need advice to start with, that may be quite prescriptive, but as individuals we get to know how we respond to what we do to help us achieve more control. I think we can do this by trial and error, self-monitoring until we have a routine that suits us as individuals. To me that is the 'Jazz' bit. I use a lot of metaphors for myself to help me make sense of things. I was referring to Jopar's point about us all being individuals that respond differently instead of 'one size fits all' OOps there I go again! I hope this clears the confusion :)