Diabetes UK Steps Challenge?

marcwlms

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is anyone doing the steps challenge with diabetes UK?

Recently T2 diagnosed (April) and doing it in an attempt to be a it more active and start to regain my fitness and raise some money along the way.

Have been exhausted last few months as i get used to normal glucose levels/new diet/medication but hopefully over the worst of that now.

Good luck to anyone taking part!

Marc

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't know about it, and think the 500,000 steps is probably the right target for someone who's not active before starting,

I started a bit over a year ago, and have had various issues with muscles, joints and footwear. It's taken time and effort, and in the case of footwear money to sort them out.

But walking is great exercise (aerobic unless you dawdle, weight-bearing) especially for those lucky enough to live in the sort of place I do. I can go for a 4 1/2 mile walk in countryside with some up & down and have energy left to finish cutting the lawn afterwards! And I've got fit enough - just about - to resume going up Munros.
I'm assuming you have a stepper since you are doing (or thinking of doing) a steps challenge. Start by looking at how active you are - how many steps per day you do. Set a target that's more than that, but not a lot more. When that is easy (which might be quite quickly) increase it by 1,000. And so on.

I also park away from the entrance at the supermarket, and I vary where I go for a walk to decrease tedium. And as I've got fitter the interest in the easier walks has waned!

The bizarre thing I've found is my stepper records steps when I'm driving unless I take it off!

marcwlms

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use my garmin watch to count my steps.

I was/am a keen runner and ran London marathon in October 2022. Took a break and never got back into it. Then wasn’t feeling up to much activity which in hindsight was the diabetes. I’d put it down to a very busy time at work and having 3 young kids to chase around.

Long term plan is to start incorporating running back into my daily activity and build my mileage back up. Ideally I’d like to run a a marathon again next year but will see how I go.

Reactions: CatsFive