Diabetes with other medical conditions

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JoKalsbeek I discovered olive oil last year. On french bread unfortunately. Also bad with herbs/ spices but I do like garlic salt and onion powder. No nuts or avocado or seeds. Cheese I can tolerate a little cheddar on a burger. Eggs in cake! Though I had it scrambled on toast 4 months ago and it was edible. I like bacon, chicken, beef mince, sausages and cod in batter. I couldn’t eat a pork chop or mackerel for example. Cauliflower rice is completely new to me, I’ll look that up later. You’re right I couldn’t cope with too many new things in a meal, I’d prefer them not to touch really.

@HSSS yes sorry should have said almond flour. Hoping they sell it here. We do have a lot of almond trees round here (southern Spain). Found a recipe with almond flour and cheese. Sounds odd to me but if it works I’ll love it.
Garlic salt and onion powder work really well with cauliflower rice, I find. And scrambled eggs without the toast? (It would mean less food-touching...). Bacon, chicken, beef mince, (high meat content) sausages are all 100% good. Cod is fine, but not the batter, alas...

You could try making keto mug bread, if you miss toast. Throw some of that garlic salt in for variation, drizzle of olive oil if you want. (15 g of melted butter, 22 g of almond flour and ½ a teaspoonful of baking powder. Mix in mug. Then add an egg and mix. Microwave at highest W for 90 seconds. Done.). I sometimes toast mine for a bit in the airfryer, because I can't be bothered to dig out the toaster. A bit longer if I want to make crackers. :)

Reactions: Ketchie

Ketchie

Thanks @TriciaWs , @JoKalsbeek , @HSSS .

I don’t drink tea/ coffee but I’ve always preferred proper full fat milk anyway. Skimmed seems such a con! Don’t know yet about cauliflower, we’ll see next week. Cheese should be ok if it doesn’t smell like feet, or is mouldy.

Here’s another question...how long can anyone be prediabetes for? I’ve been looking at my records and in 2003 my Plasma Glucose was 5.3 mmol/L. All my letters after that just “normal”. Bad couple of years back then, everything started to go wrong (migraines, thyroid, B12, knees) so it wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Postprandial 8.2 last night. Still 8.2 after 5 hours after the first bite. 5.9 this morning. Suppose nothing will change until I get the almond flour and cauliflower as I’m still eating potatoes.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @TriciaWs , @JoKalsbeek , @HSSS .

I don’t drink tea/ coffee but I’ve always preferred proper full fat milk anyway. Skimmed seems such a con! Don’t know yet about cauliflower, we’ll see next week. Cheese should be ok if it doesn’t smell like feet, or is mouldy.

Here’s another question...how long can anyone be prediabetes for? I’ve been looking at my records and in 2003 my Plasma Glucose was 5.3 mmol/L. All my letters after that just “normal”. Bad couple of years back then, everything started to go wrong (migraines, thyroid, B12, knees) so it wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Postprandial 8.2 last night. Still 8.2 after 5 hours after the first bite. 5.9 this morning. Suppose nothing will change until I get the almond flour and cauliflower as I’m still eating potatoes.
Some are prediabetic for six months, some for years. Some discover it in time and get back into the normal range instead of progressing to full blown T2. I never knew I ever was, by the time I was diagnosed I'd been a T2 for, most likely, years already. Guess that's what you get with locums, tests only get half done, diagnoses not communicated and whatnot... Things just went awry. *shrug*. No telling, basically. Keep an eye on the thyroid eh.... Your requirements might change. (I went from 175 micrograms of thyroxine, to 125.). Also, some people find that low carb takes care of their migraines. Mine are mostly under control, it's the hormonal ones that still get to me. But it's not a daily thing anymore, thank heavens.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Veg is not essential, some choose to only have a few items others are totally carnivore. Do a search as there’s a long running thread on here for that way of eating too. Though it is important to find sources of micronutrients if you go down this route so do some investigating first. tagging a few carni’s for some direction @bulkbiker @Jim Lahey @Brunneria @Goonergal

Thanks for the tag @HSSS and apologies for the delay in responding @Ketchie: for some reason I didn’t get a notification.

As HSSS mentioned, I don’t eat veg (aside from the odd bit of onion, which I adore). Hasn’t always been that way, gradually reached this point over time. It’s a great way to eat - I eat anything animal based, so include meat, fish, eggs, cheese, cream and the occasional yoghurt. If you’re interested, takea look at this blog: https://zerocarbzen.com/ and also check out this thread: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/carnivore-corner.164920/

Ketchie

Thanks @JoKalsbeek it would be wonderful to stop the migraines, though they have reduced since I started the B12 injections.

@Goonergal thanks for that, I’ll have a read through.

There are so many more options than I had first thought, I’m very grateful for the help.

Last edited: