1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetes

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Nacon, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Nacon

Nacon · Newbie

Hi there. I’m a new diabetic I need some advice

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Anything specific you need advice on? What type of diabetes do you have? Are you on medication?
    Hello and welcome by the way!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome,

You have come to the right place for advice and support.

It would be helpful to let us know a little bit about yourself. Have you been diagnosed as a type 1 or type 2 or other type? Have you been put on any medication? Do you have a glucose level meter? What advice have you been given?

I found when I was diagnosed I felt very emotional- it was overwhelming. The help and support I received here made all the difference. It is totally normal to feel emotional sad and many other feelings. It is totally normal to feel overwhelmed and feel like you don't even know where to start.

My first piece of advice is that things will get better. Many people here can honestly say that the diagnosis together with the information on this site as to how to deal with their diagnosis resulted in their lives improving

My second piece of advice is that you really need a meter and at least at the beginning you need to test your levels frequently. If you test before and (2 hours) after a meal you will know what effect the meal had on your levels. You can then adjust what you eat. You need to reduce all carbs- not just sugars

Welcome- keep posting and reading. There is a lot of information, help and support here.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook