Diabetic and now have celiacs disease

M

Member496333

If I were you - and admittedly I am not - I would give up all grains entirely. As you already know, gluten-free products are free of gluten and heavy on junk. In my opinion grains are responsible for half of society’s health problems, both in terms of inappropriate carbohydrate ingestion and in autoimmune conditions brought about through intestinal permeability. Humans just aren’t designed to eat them, despite the healthy whole grain flimflam nonsense we are being told to swallow with them.

You are of course free to dismiss my ramblings :D

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
You have my sympathies.
I'm a coeliac and type 1 of 45 years.
I was diagnosed about 10 years ago with coeliacs as I had continuous bad guts.
I had a camera down my throat and contrary whats been posted I thought this was the only way coeliacs could be diagnosed definitely..........please don't anybody think I'm being rude its just what I was led to believe.
Apparently we have something called villi which are like blades of grass blowing in the wind that line out intestine and if you develop coeliacs and you consume gluten then it flattens the villi and food goes right over them as opposed to through them hence the bad guts.
Again contrary to whats been posted already it can take over 12 months for your villi to recover and symptoms to improve.

GF bread and cakes are carb heavy and taste like cardboard and as already pointed out cross contamination is a big one to be aware of.
I was having breakfast with my wife in a hotel only a couple of weeks ago and when my GF toast arrived I politely asked for some fresh butter as my wife had already spread some on her toast and the waitress looked at me as though I'd dropped out of a dogs bottom and pointed at the butter dish and said "you've got some there" at this point I understood the desire to poke someone in the eye but of course I didn't and explained politely about cross contamination........

I wish you well and do feel free to message me if you need any further help.

Your fellow sufferer

Tony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
If I were you - and admittedly I am not - I would give up all grains entirely. As you already know, gluten-free products are free of gluten and heavy on junk. In my opinion grains are responsible for half of society’s health problems, both in terms of inappropriate carbohydrate ingestion and in autoimmune conditions brought about through intestinal permeability. Humans just aren’t designed to eat them, despite the healthy whole grain flimflam nonsense we are being told to swallow with them.

You are of course free to dismiss my ramblings :D

If I was you, I wouldn't make sweeping statements's that could potentially be very harmful to someone who may have undiagnosed Coeliac disease.

1) Someone with coeliac disease will be seen at the hospital
2) Coleiac affects the bone density, so a bone scan (DEXA) scan will be needed
3) Osteoporosis is common
4) The patients siblings need to be informed, as they would need to be tested as well.
5) https://www.coeliac.org.uk/coeliac-disease/getting-diagnosed/importance-of-medical-diagnosis/

M

Member496333

If I was you, I wouldn't make sweeping statements's that could potentially be very harmful to someone who may have undiagnosed Coeliac disease.

1) Someone with coeliac disease will be seen at the hospital
2) Coleiac affects the bone density, so a bone scan (DEXA) scan will be needed
3) Osteoporosis is common
4) The patients siblings need to be informed, as they would need to be tested as well.
5) https://www.coeliac.org.uk/coeliac-disease/getting-diagnosed/importance-of-medical-diagnosis/

Yeah whatever. Try reading what I posted rather than what you wanted to read.

Have a nice day.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yeah whatever. Try reading what I posted rather than what you wanted to read.

Have a nice day.

I highlighted your sentence, as it is potentially dangerous for an undiagnosed Coeliac, fact.

Last edited:

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all of your advice - it really is appreciated. But.... I’m not about to look for rubbish food I didn’t eat before, I’d just like healthy alternatives. Today I’ve bought noodles, soy sauce and pasta substitutes. So no junk food, just viable basics to cheer me up. Please remember this site is to support people we’ve got loads in common x

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Plus has anyone had neuropathy that may have been prompted by celiacs disease? It can be the initial problem in 10% of the population before the more obvious symptoms happen. I can’t tell if I’ve got it from being type 1 for 43 years or having this new thing. On a positive, and I have felt very down but was only told on Wednesday, it’s made me address my diet and realise I was eating too many carbs. I’m hoping I’ll feel better with a forced lifestyle change anyway. X

Reactions: gemma_T1

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Thanks for all of your advice - it really is appreciated. But.... I’m not about to look for rubbish food I didn’t eat before, I’d just like healthy alternatives. Today I’ve bought noodles, soy sauce and pasta substitutes. So no junk food, just viable basics to cheer me up. Please remember this site is to support people we’ve got loads in common x

Good morning conniecar
I was trying to support you and add a little humour into my understanding and experiences of being coeliacs.
I apologise if my post got you down.
I'm not the most articulate of people and sometimes struggle to get my point across..:)

Tony

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Plus has anyone had neuropathy that may have been prompted by celiacs disease? It can be the initial problem in 10% of the population before the more obvious symptoms happen. I can’t tell if I’ve got it from being type 1 for 43 years or having this new thing. On a positive, and I have felt very down but was only told on Wednesday, it’s made me address my diet and realise I was eating too many carbs. I’m hoping I’ll feel better with a forced lifestyle change anyway. X

Diabetes and coeliacs disease are autoimmune problems and I was told they go hand in hand and is quite common.
No-one else in my family has coeliacs therefor I put it down to being a type 1 diabetic.
Interestingly we have both been diabetic for similar lengths of time and are the same age.

Tony

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes and coeliacs disease are autoimmune problems and I was told they go hand in hand and is quite common.
No-one else in my family has coeliacs therefor I put it down to being a type 1 diabetic.
Interestingly we have both been diabetic for similar lengths of time and are the same age.

Tony

It’s the curse of the 70’s Tony! You didn’t get me down, it’s just that where I live there’s a fb site that ALWAYS descends into a slanging match We’ve got enough going on to fall out on here I’ve read that you can be prone to it with type 1 and thyroid problems, so that’s me too. So you remember the glass syringe and Clinitest era then? Things are definitely better now but it’s still a pain. X

Reactions: Tony337

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning conniecar
I was trying to support you and add a little humour into my understanding and experiences of being coeliacs.
I apologise if my post got you down.
I'm not the most articulate of people and sometimes struggle to get my point across..:)

Tony

Arrrggg Tony337 I’ve just read back thru it all, it wasn’t your post that was argumentative anyway, it make me laugh

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ps Milnrow.... I drove through your little place recently on my way from Halifax, got lost on the way to the Morris Minor garage in Manchester. Come to Hebden, it’s gf central ! X

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been diagnosed coeliac for over 3 years now. I have been astounded at the cravings I have had for things I wouldn't have thought of eating before my diagnosis. I would never have thought of having sausages for dinner, but several times have cooked Free From sausages, in the past few years. On holiday, I have yearned for burger and chips. I would NEVER have thought of eating this before being diagnosed coeliac.

We are going down to London in September and have booked into a hotel for bed and breakfast. TripAdvisor reviews say that this hotel does not provide gluten free food. I find this unacceptable but will bring my own GF muesli, so that I will be able to eat something to start the day.

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been diagnosed coeliac for over 3 years now. I have been astounded at the cravings I have had for things I wouldn't have thought of eating before my diagnosis. I would never have thought of having sausages for dinner, but several times have cooked Free From sausages, in the past few years. On holiday, I have yearned for burger and chips. I would NEVER have thought of eating this before being diagnosed coeliac.

We are going down to London in September and have booked into a hotel for bed and breakfast. TripAdvisor reviews say that this hotel does not provide gluten free food. I find this unacceptable but will bring my own GF muesli, so that I will be able to eat something to start the day.

Yes it’s weird isn’t it? I bought cheese and onion breaded crispbakes on Wednesday. I wouldn’t normally but at the moment I’m in that mindset of looking at the gf shelves and panicking! I had half a chocolate brownie in a cafe with my husband ( again why? I’m not a cake person ) but wanted to see what it was like. Yes it wasn’t my thing. I’ve just the basics now such as stock cubes, soy sauce and mayo - just in case I’m feeling weird about it all ! Bought a hoisin sauce from Tesco from the chiller, as all of the bottled ones aren’t gluten free. That’s backfired on me as it’s full of sugar! Like I’ve probably said, I’ve put up with ignorance from people like we all have, as I’ve been type 1 and epileptic for 43 years, but this is something I can’t control and I don’t like having to ask people what’s in the food they’re serving. It’s the clean food/vegan trend that I’m fearing will make me look faddy x

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes it’s weird isn’t it? I bought cheese and onion breaded crispbakes on Wednesday. I wouldn’t normally but at the moment I’m in that mindset of looking at the gf shelves and panicking! I had half a chocolate brownie in a cafe with my husband ( again why? I’m not a cake person ) but wanted to see what it was like. Yes it wasn’t my thing. I’ve just the basics now such as stock cubes, soy sauce and mayo - just in case I’m feeling weird about it all ! Bought a hoisin sauce from Tesco from the chiller, as all of the bottled ones aren’t gluten free. That’s backfired on me as it’s full of sugar! Like I’ve probably said, I’ve put up with ignorance from people like we all have, as I’ve been type 1 and epileptic for 43 years, but this is something I can’t control and I don’t like having to ask people what’s in the food they’re serving. It’s the clean food/vegan trend that I’m fearing will make me look faddy x

Hi Conniecar,
Really sorry to hear you’ve been diagnosed with Coeliac’s disease, it’s a real pain. I also have Coeliac, Type One, Harshimoto’s Underactive thyroid and Dupuytren, so I guess I am an Internationalist not only in heart and mind, but in body too
I think the hardest part about being Coeliac is losing the freedom to go out to eat without worrying what you can/ can’t eat, will it be contaminated, do they actually know what I am taking about when I say gluten free?
Getting other people to understand what it means, mother - in - laws in my experience are especially difficult in this regard ... perhaps they get a kick out of poisoning us
You need to be really careful of cross contamination, as even though you mightn’t feel ill,it will initiate the process of inflammation in your gut... and your Villi will suffer ...
it takes time, as someone else posted, to get back to normal ... although some people get there faster than others...
To be honest, the hardest part of being Coeliac was when my son ( now almost 13) was diagnosed aged 6, I felt so bad I’d passed him this faulty gene. My own diagnosis was a relief as I’d been ill for so long ... My son finds it very hard because of the loss of freedom ... my husband actually cried when we received confirmation of his diagnosis.
Coeliac is easy to manage at home .. it’s harder on holiday and going out in general...
Ignorance is infuriating and exhausting ... as in when people say, oh my friend’s friend/sister/ brother etc. grew out of it or one little bite won’t hurt you ... I won’t tell anyone if you eat the cake or whatever it is or even, can I catch it ?
Basically the same silly stuff you have to put up with diabetes...
or even, well at least you can still eat fruit and vegetables ... when all my son wants is to eat a pizza with his friends or a piece of someone’s birthday cake...
The old Scouts’ adage is essential to being a healthy an snappier Coeliac, as preparation is key to everything, so for parties and days out etc bring your own... it’s depressing but at least you won’t be ill and you’ll be able to eat!
As for cooking at home, you can find some fab recipes on the internet for GF.
Our whole household is gluten free now, including our cat!
Wishing you luck and sending you a big hug and whenever you want to let off steam feel free ... we’re all here to support each other

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi Conniecar,
Really sorry to hear you’ve been diagnosed with Coeliac’s disease, it’s a real pain. I also have Coeliac, Type One, Harshimoto’s Underactive thyroid and Dupuytren, so I guess I am an Internationalist not only in heart and mind, but in body too
I think the hardest part about being Coeliac is losing the freedom to go out to eat without worrying what you can/ can’t eat, will it be contaminated, do they actually know what I am taking about when I say gluten free?
Getting other people to understand what it means, mother - in - laws in my experience are especially difficult in this regard ... perhaps they get a kick out of poisoning us
You need to be really careful of cross contamination, as even though you mightn’t feel ill,it will initiate the process of inflammation in your gut... and your Villi will suffer ...
it takes time, as someone else posted, to get back to normal ... although some people get there faster than others...
To be honest, the hardest part of being Coeliac was when my son ( now almost 13) was diagnosed aged 6, I felt so bad I’d passed him this faulty gene. My own diagnosis was a relief as I’d been ill for so long ... My son finds it very hard because of the loss of freedom ... my husband actually cried when we received confirmation of his diagnosis.
Coeliac is easy to manage at home .. it’s harder on holiday and going out in general...
Ignorance is infuriating and exhausting ... as in when people say, oh my friend’s friend/sister/ brother etc. grew out of it or one little bite won’t hurt you ... I won’t tell anyone if you eat the cake or whatever it is or even, can I catch it ?
Basically the same silly stuff you have to put up with diabetes...
or even, well at least you can still eat fruit and vegetables ... when all my son wants is to eat a pizza with his friends or a piece of someone’s birthday cake...
The old Scouts’ adage is essential to being a healthy an snappier Coeliac, as preparation is key to everything, so for parties and days out etc bring your own... it’s depressing but at least you won’t be ill and you’ll be able to eat!
As for cooking at home, you can find some fab recipes on the internet for GF.
Our whole household is gluten free now, including our cat!
Wishing you luck and sending you a big hug and whenever you want to let off steam feel free ... we’re all here to support each other
Like the avatar! We drove past him on 29th March and past a smaller scale version in the wilderness near Whitley Chapel, south of Hexham. Keep well

Reactions: gemma_T1

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Like the avatar! We drove past him on 29th March and past a smaller scale version in the wilderness near Whitley Chapel, south of Hexham. Keep well

Hi Grant, hope you and the family are good
I’ve just learnt to add the icon photo

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would just urge caution here between gluten intolerant and having Coeliac disease because there is a big difference. My late mother was coeliac as were two of her siblings diagnosed in the way Tony explained above and had flattened villi which in my mums case took a long long time to recover. She was so ill prior to dx she as hospitalised for 10 days. She never liked to eat away from home in case of cross contamination in kitchens or somebody served her gravy with thickener. The only good thing now is there is much better produce available and better awareness. My mum always said that wasnt because of coeliac disease but because of the elite athletes inspiring a whole generation they would be better off gluten free!

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Ps Milnrow.... I drove through your little place recently on my way from Halifax, got lost on the way to the Morris Minor garage in Manchester. Come to Hebden, it’s gf central ! X

Yes I've been to Hebden Bridge but not for a good number of years.......its a nice place.

Tony

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
It’s the curse of the 70’s Tony! You didn’t get me down, it’s just that where I live there’s a fb site that ALWAYS descends into a slanging match We’ve got enough going on to fall out on here I’ve read that you can be prone to it with type 1 and thyroid problems, so that’s me too. So you remember the glass syringe and Clinitest era then? Things are definitely better now but it’s still a pain. X

Oh yes I remember the good old days with injectaguns and cans of one cal and fresca......lol
I still marvel at the 4 mm needles I use now and I really mean that too......
In the dim and distant past I've taken single injections with 80 units of insulin whereas now the most I take in one go is 14 units with a needle half the size!!!!!!

In life outside diabetes people get misty eyed over "the good old days" well they can whistle as far as I'm concerned as I'm thinner healthier and better controlled now with all the advancements and tech of today and long may that continue........

Tony wanders off breathing deeply and considering if he shouts "wrangler jeans" would anyone understand......