Diabetic Chefs?

Nafu9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm looking for some help from fellow diabetics who are chefs. I'm currently a sous chef in a 2 Rosette hotel, and having real trouble keeping my sugars under control because of the hours, the stress and the irregular meal habits as well as the fact that, like most chefs, I have a bad habit of putting my job and loyalty to the team before my own needs. How do you cope with it? I'm sorry if that's too broad a question, but I'm sure you'll know what I mean.

Thanks!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm looking for some help from fellow diabetics who are chefs. I'm currently a sous chef in a 2 Rosette hotel, and having real trouble keeping my sugars under control because of the hours, the stress and the irregular meal habits as well as the fact that, like most chefs, I have a bad habit of putting my job and loyalty to the team before my own needs. How do you cope with it? I'm sorry if that's too broad a question, but I'm sure you'll know what I mean.

Thanks!
well it is a hard job you are in... I am not a chef , but would suggest you to always have a little bag with nuts in your pocket , and an avocado in the fridge, if you like shrimps on avocado with lemon it is a delicious and good meal for a diabetic..
http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Calories-Nuts-9436487

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks!

Neither am I a Cheff.

But I like the "cut of your jib" young man. :cool: It is hard not to be the "weakest link" whilst maintaining the health. Which in turn affects performance if uncontrolled..
I empathise with the concerns.
What I have noticed in a "team" situation in my work is 99.9% of the time, many non D colleagues have a "down time" that sits with what I need to do managing the T1. I find I can "stealthily" adapt without too much attention from the rest, in a busy schedule..
Unless on the odd occaision I encounter another diabetic on the team..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm going to tag @Gaz-M as he is a chef and has type 1 diabetes.

Reactions: Jaylee

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
its hard keeping levels right in the job, Ive lost count of the times Ive been really hypo (1.4/1.9 mmol) at my old job when I was on MDI and even had the paramedics out twice in 18.5 years. I was testing roughly every hour or hour and a half but when you get a rush on the food sometimes I couldn't and thats when the hypos occured.

I,m starting a new job tomorrow at the univercity and did a trail day on Friday, I found that now being on a pump really does pay off as I set a temp basal rate of -50% and bloods where a little low (4.4 mmol) so tomorrow I will set it at -60% and try test every hour while I,m there so I will be able to make a new basal profile for when I'm at work.

I think you should mention your problems you are having to your Diabetic team and ask if maybe you could be considered for a pump, it would benefit you alot in our line of work ;)

Reactions: azure and Snapsy

Nafu9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee thanks, it wasn't so much of a problem at places I worked before as there would be chefs who smoked so I could just do it when they had a fag break, but where I am now not one of the chefs smokes, they all just work straight through their shifts, and whilst in my head I know that I have a actual need to sit down and test my sugars I always feel like I'm letting the side down if I'm sitting down regularly while they are plowing on through. Silly I know, but something I'm struggling to teach myself.

@Gaz-M my issue is the other way round, I'm frequently above 20, and have ended up dka 3 times this year :/ I'm hoping to get on the pump as I can carb count and I am trying to get my sugars down, it's just not really working with the mdi, I have an dsn appointment on Wednesday so I'm going to push for it a bit then. Good luck with your new job!

Reactions: Snapsy

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Cheers Nafu9 and I really hope you push for a pump, explain whats happening and if you have your readings that will help you alot.

Keep us informed mate

Nafu9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that might make it take a bit longer, as at moment I'm only doing 4 readings on a work day. Better on my days off (although they are few and far between at the moment! Just finished 15 days straight, got 2 days off this week then the other chef is off for 2 weeks so looking at at least another 14 days straight! D:)

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I think that might make it take a bit longer, as at moment I'm only doing 4 readings on a work day. Better on my days off (although they are few and far between at the moment! Just finished 15 days straight, got 2 days off this week then the other chef is off for 2 weeks so looking at at least another 14 days straight! D:)
not good Nafu9 :(, you might even benefit looking for another job :(

Nafu9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've considered it, but the money's better then I've been offered elsewhere and I've also got visa papers for moving to America in which I'd have to change and delay the visa going through, it's a shame, but I can stick it out. Plus side is that I'm picking up way more on how to run a kitchen where I am now as opposed to where I was before as sous chef.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ever thought about getting a freestyle liver so you can scan without having to take time out to test bg? When I worked as a rowing coach there were times when you couldn't just stop and test, the liver was fantastic as all I needs to do was swipe in the vague direction of my arm and go on my merry way

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
you will find the libre a vital tool Nafu9, so you can see when you are starting to spike, and yeah I bought mine with redundncy money for a new job which didnt work out, but it will help you in the long run

Nafu9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a little update, I'm using the libre now and liking it. The doctors said I won't get a pump for at least a year because I've had 3 dka this year. Of course I'll be in America by the time a year has past so guess that's not happening!

Reactions: isjoberg