Diabetic clinic review

Hartnell6

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all had first review today with diabetes clinic. I had to have blood samples last week to check hba1c which is now 53 and my cholesterol is 6.2 so seeing doctors next week to discuss insulin as gliclazide gave me bad pains in my side and came off them and pains vanished. Also can anyone help with advice on starting statins please as only 32 thought I was too young to have cholesterol problems

Thank you all x

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Are the statins prevention or is your cholesterol high?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know I got told my cholesterol levels are 6 and need to be 4

That is out of date. You need the breakdown of your cholesterol, and the ratios, not the total figure. The total figure (your 6) is a total of the good and the bad. You need to know the full breakdown before you make a decision on statins. Please ask for a print out of your test results so you can analyse things yourself (and ask on here if you need help) One point to remember is that stains raise blood sugar levels.

As for medication, an HbA1c of 53 is not horrendous. What have your previous HbA1c results been?

I was 53 at diagnosis and medication was not even mentioned. That was January 2014, and I have never had any medication. Have you managed this HbA1c without gliclazide, and without any medication? I can't advise you on what to do, but 53 seems very low to be put on insulin unless you are really struggling..

Reactions: Hartnell6 and dbr10

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doc put me on statins just over two weeks ago. Knees are in agony. As are my arms. Was at docs yesterday. My cholesterol is good. My good cholesterol is a bit low. My BG is well managed. I went on Vitamin D spray and ALA tabs for feet pain. Had gone from 10 to 2. I think statins are NOT for me. It's like toothache but all over your body. Arrrrghhhv

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just in case this is relevant, I was told that only those ladies who have no intention of becoming pregnant should consider statins.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Doc put me on statins just over two weeks ago. Knees are in agony. As are my arms. Was at docs yesterday. My cholesterol is good. My good cholesterol is a bit low. My BG is well managed. I went on Vitamin D spray and ALA tabs for feet pain. Had gone from 10 to 2. I think statins are NOT for me. It's like toothache but all over your body. Arrrrghhhv
Are you still taking them?

Reactions: jackors

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Statins should be avoided. See the film statin nation for some detailed analysis.

My HbA1C was 99 and reduced to 59 using metformin and lowering carbs and sugar. I got it down to 44 by further reducing carbs and only taking one 500 mg metformin tablet per day. After that I stopped taking metformin and my most recent HbA1C was 43. I have managed to reduce blood sugars down to almost non-diabetic levels through a low carb diet.

The most important thing is to measure your blood sugars with a glucose meter and reduce carbs and foods which spike your blood sugars. That means avoiding breakfast cereals, bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. Also avoid fruit juice and fruit such as bananas and grapes. The is no point in eating lots of carbs and then having to inject yourself with insulin if your body can cope with a low carb diet without having high blood sugars.

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, lipids ratios are far more important than the total cholesterol and the point about reducing the total from 6 to 4 is based on NICE guidance and to be honest they plucked the numbers out of thin air as I've never seen any scientific justification. Even my diabetes GP said soon we'll have no fat left in our bodies when NICE reduced the previous 5 figure to 4 (thin air?). So, base any statins decision on your ratios and whether you can tolerate them. I do take them but have no problems but I don't take more that I need for my ratios. Our genetics influence our cholesterol levels as much as age. Reducing the carbs in the diet may also help your ratios as well as blood sugar.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just in case this is relevant, I was told that only those ladies who have no intention of becoming pregnant should consider statins.

New form of contraception, or are you just too tired, in too much pain, and generally far too irritable to even consider sex?:angelic:

Hartnell6

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had a call from my doctors I have an appointment on Thursday to discuss insulin as I can't tolerate gliclazide as it made me have a horrific pain in my stomach and made me very ill. I'm still confused on statins and asking doctors to explain them to me.

Mark_1

Personally there is no way I would consider either without giving diet a good go first. What is a typical days eating for you at the moment?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes still on them. I am taking in the evening with my 2nd Metformin of the day. Gives me time to sleep while it's at it's strongest.
.Thousands including myself take them without problem some do have side effects but not everyone and that is the same with any medication as you have found with Gliclazide which does not suit you. None here are medically qualified so we are not in a position to advise about medication and say what people should or should not take that has to be your decision

Hartnell6

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm now on statins so far no issues with them waiting for a referral to diabetic team at hospital re insulin as I've tried diet, both metaformins, gliclazide and alogliptin now and my average blood sugars for a day is 15-16 mmol.

S

serenity648

Hi all had first review today with diabetes clinic. I had to have blood samples last week to check hba1c which is now 53 and my cholesterol is 6.2 so seeing doctors next week to discuss insulin as gliclazide gave me bad pains in my side and came off them and pains vanished. Also can anyone help with advice on starting statins please as only 32 thought I was too young to have cholesterol problems

Thank you all x
I am just wondering how your HbA1c is only 53 with you being around 15-16 average a day. Maybe you could ask them to re-do your HbA1c in case they got the result wrong?